In Snowflake’s Chance you are a weak rabbit in hell

This news just vomited out of the RPS ticker-tape machine marked “side scrolling ultra hard platformer news only!” Snowflake’s Chance [official site] is a hand-drawn platformer about getting a bunny out of hell. You have 99 lives to escape this scratchily-drawn Stygian abyss as Snowflake the rabbit, and every time you die your evil counterpart becomes stronger. “You are weak and ineffectual!” screams the game’s description. “Don’t slip!” There’s more to see in this trailer. Warning: contains lots of rabbit death.

As you can see, it’s got a pleasant sketchiness to the animations and environment. It’s all the work of artist Carl Morgan who can also draw quite good dinosaurs. Here’s what the game will entail.

“Claw your way back up 21 brutal levels across a variety of areas. Enlist the help of other unfortunate critters to aid in your escape. You will need to run, dodge and hide from your enemies to make it through.

The Pit runs through the entire game so if you fall you might find yourself at the very bottom again.”

I’m not sure what happens if you run into the Evil version of yourself but I expect it is not tea and cakes. The game is currently on Steam Greenlight, where we are told it is inspired by Abe’s Oddysee, Spelunky and Heart of Darkness. Not bad influences, although I’m not sure how many folks remember the latter PlayStation 1 tale, which was about a boy who fought shadow monsters to save his dog, rather than an unsettling and perilous trip down the Congo.

From this site

1. klops says:

Most likely I’ll never play this but looks pretty good. And I love the music!

2. jgf1123 says:

As a rabbit owner, that trailer was pretty traumatic.

3. Syrion says:

Super Meat Bunny. Gosh, that’s horrific. It looks good, but.. gosh. Poor little guy.

Herzog says:

I expected faster movement. Slow bunny.

5. Stugle says:

I remember Heart of Darkness! Well, I remember the breathless previews in PCZone and then years of silence and then, judging by the reviews, a rather humdrum game. Slippage, delays and finally disappointment before Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever took it mainstream.

6. geldonyetich says:

Maybe I should spend less time dwelling on making a better game concept when all you have to do is start with a popular phrase and work backwards.

7. Michael Fogg says:

Mhhm, sliced elephant

8. Xzi says:

This game is like a riddle: what is a roguelike but also isn’t? Interesting, albeit probably frustrating concept. Ultimately I think I prefer to at least have the comfort of weapons and movement/dodging while in hell, ala DOOM4.

9. Tom89 says:

Absolutely do remember Heart of Darkness- was the first thing I thought of when I started watching the video!

Young me remembers it being exceedingly grim for an apparently cutesy game. Watching the young protagonist devoured head first by one of those bastard wall-worm things gave me nightmares for weeks…

Comment on this story