Can you hack it, fellow kids? Watch Dogs 2 is out on PC

Watch Dogs 2 [official site] is out now on PC, two weeks after our best friends in Console Town got their hands on it. The delay wasn’t surprising coming from Ubisoft, who like to make us wait before letting us clean up all the icons they’ve spilled onto a new map. They said it was to make sure the game “runs smoothly across a broad range of hardware”. Well, now we can test that theory for ourselves. You there, with the Pentium II processor, get downloading.

The first Watch Dogs wasn’t much loved, featuring dull characters and a world that was less about hacking things and more about pressing Q at contextually appropriate moments. Graham said it was “infuriating because of its controls and rendered dull by its slavish devotion to scripts and plots”. For the sequel, Ubi are trying to be more fun about things, with characters that look like they’ve been designed by a Steve Buscemi meme and a story that is a slightly more relevant to today’s world of cyber-silliness, featuring face-recognising algorithms, melodramatic hacker collectives and villainous CEOs.

Adam is currently hacking his way through the story of Marcus, an Oakland hacker wrongfully accused of a crime he didn’t commit. We’ll have his thoughts on the game soon. Until then, you can enjoy some topical real life hacker news, because the transport system of the real San Francisco got infected with ransomware this weekend and gave passengers free rides for a whole day.

From this site

1. Palimpsest says:

I couldn’t help but giggle when I saw that on the day of its release it’s 2nd to GTA 5, of all games, on the Steam top sellers list.

2. Isendur says:

The real question – are there any ICONIC bugs in this version?

3. Person of Interest says:

Nvidia’s companion graphics and performance guide is online too, which is useful for anyone (whether they use Nvidia or AMD hardware) who wants to improve how the game looks or runs. Or for folks like me with no plan to buy the game, but wanna know what’s the latest incremental technical wizardry.

4. Dudeist says:

I’m shocked!!! New AAA title and positive reviews! Very positive :D

• klops says:

Civ VI, Far Crys, Witcher 3, GTA V and Dark Soulses come to mind after three seconds of thinking. I’d say AAA games do well also in RPS.

• Dudeist says:

GTA V is 2015, I mean 2016 titles. For sure Witcher 3 is, but here NMS, Dishonored 2 and few more like this. But right, here a lot of good and very titles – Doom for example.

5. ErraticGamer says:

I’m only a very little bit in, but so far I’m having a great time. I enjoyed the mechanics of the first Watch Dogs, even though the story and characters were pretty rough, so it’s a treat to see that they’ve both expanded the mechanics in some clever ways and paid a ton of attention to creating much more likable characters I actually want to spend some time with, in a much more colorful world.

So far, it’s a treat.

6. Darth Gangrel says:

The characters in that pic still ooze “look how cool we think we are”, just like Watchdogs 1 did, but Watchdogs 2 isn’t a super serious game, which makes a big difference. At least, that’s my prejudiced view, not having played either game.

7. machineageproductions says:

I am loving it. Or, was loving it.

I’ve played about five hours so far. Digging it like a shovel.

Then, it crashed to desktop. Reloaded. It crashed to desktop after about five minutes of play.

I verified and repaired files. It crashed to desktop after about three minutes of play.

I fully uninstalled it, and reinstalled it on my boot drive. It crashed to desktop after about three minutes.

I’m in the New Dawn missions. It’s not specifically one mission though; I’ve reloaded and tried other missions as well. No luck.

It’s a shame, because everything I’ve played so far, I’ve loved.

keithzg says:

It won’t even load on this Win95 machine I have, even though it’s running a blazing-fast 100MHz! And the game itself won’t even fit on the ROM on my TI-83+!

Comment on this story