Darksiders Warmastered Edition out now, free for owners of the original

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition [official site] is a terrible name. It’s the remastered edition of the original Darksiders, that brawly third-person action game about apocalyptic horse-fancier War, so I can see their thinking. But… no.

It is now out on PC though which is nice, and owners of the original can upgrade for free.

The Warmastered edition doubles the resolution of all the game’s textures, adds new video options and support for 4K monitors, and does other fancy rendering things to, for example, improve the shadow quality.

We never reviewed the first Darksiders, but I remember it being a pleasant surprise at the time. It, being by THQ, is the sort of game that belongs on our list of the best 7/10 games. Which is why it’s on there, in which we said:

Another Classic THQ 7, this is from the hack-slashy fantasy side of things rather than the shooty family, but it has the same compulsive, propulsive, Gotta Slay ‘Em All ethos. Vigil’s RPG-tinged monster-basher is a game you wouldn’t beseech anyone else to play, but one that you have yourself a damned good time with then never think about gain. God rest ya soul, THQ.

Yet here we are thinking about it again right now.

Unfortunately it seems as some users are currently experiencing issues on AMD cards. It’s hard to get a sense of the scale of the problem, but a number of people on the Steam forums are reporting framerate drops.

When original publishers THQ went under, Darksiders was bought – along with the THQ name – by publishers Nordic Games. They’re now called THQ Nordic, have already done remastering duties on Darksiders II (for the marginally-better-named Deathinitive Edition), and say they have plans to one day make Darksiders III.

From this site

1. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I feel like the only reason they re-did Darksiders 2 before part 1 was to hammer home the pun. “Warmastered” would have left everyone just baffled, but in the context of “Deathinitive” it’s… fine.

2. dancingcrab says:

Not sure what the article means by, “If you bought the original game via a digital store including Steam and GOG then you should now have access to the Warmastered edition for free. If you bought a physical copy meanwhile, then you’re a bit out of luck – though apparently the game will have an 80% discount until December 2nd. That makes it £3.39 on Steam and £3.19 on GOG.”

The physical release of Darksiders, in the UK and US at least, required Steam. And those ‘retail’ keys are receiving the Warmastered Edition.

PoulWrist says:

A lovely game :) Too bad about the AMD issue :( I have an AMD card now…

“I’m certainly shocked to see this many people having performance issues on perfectly fine AMD cards. Absolutely didn’t expect this. What I can tell you is that we definitely don’t have a secret NVIDIA deal running here or anything like that. In fact, almost all of our development machines run AMD cards with only a few NVIDIA cards here and there. Needless to say that we didn’t experience any of these problems during development. That being said, we will of course investigate this issue. I do remember people playing our last released game experiencing similiar “20 FPS” issues, but since the install base of that game was much smaller, we weren’t able to pin down the cause of the problem to certain AMD card types. Considering this, it’s very possible to be a bug in our engine, which we will hopefully be able to track down and fix very soon. Sorry for the inconvenience to all people experiencing those problems!” One of the devs posted that 4 hours ago.

4. Darth Gangrel says:

I was actually slightly miffed about getting this for free, because until that point I had exactly 100 games in my Steam Library and I liked it that way. 100 is a good, solid and round number, which is used a lot in many areas, including non-RPS reviews to score a game using percentages. With the addition of Warmastered Edition my Steam Library became 101 Dalmatians… I mean, went up to 101 games.

• melancholicthug says:

How I envy you. I’m on 500+, and haven’t played a fraction of them. I need to stop this, I think I have a problem.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Don’t worry, it could be worse. Most of my Steam friends have a lot more games than merely 500+, one even has 2000+ games.

I’ve managed to play roughly half of my Steam Library after devoting a year to only playing new games and only playing each game once.

I used to do the exact opposite, only play the same old games over and over, but keep buying new games.

5. gulag says:

More Darksiders? Yes please. The Head over Heels (dating myself there) potential of controlling the last duo of horsemen, Strife and Fury, as a tag team would build nicely on the Metroidvania of the first two games.

Addie says:

Enjoyed the original version, so downloaded it to have a bit of a play. It’s basically entirely the same.

Regarding the update: the original 3d-model art style was ‘chunky’ anyway, which hasn’t aged nearly as badly as some of its peers. The original texturing reappears in the cutscenes, which haven’t been redone – mostly War’s sword looks a bit worse, if you’re paying attention. Seems to be limited to 120fps with few issues; someone seems to have the ratio the wrong way round for the subtitles, which go at half speed and stop you from opening the menus for quite a long time after a bit of dialogue. You can enable anisotropic filtering from the graphics menu now, which I remember having to do from the NVidia control panel before – this game really benefits from that, it’s of an age where there’s expansive completely flat surfaces, which look very blurry otherwise. Still very minimal on the graphics options, though.

Regarding the game: it’s a bit slow to get going, and War’s moveset isn’t very extensive / versatile at the start, but once you’ve got going it’s a competent enough brawler. Death’s moveset in DS2 is faster and more fun to play with though, and generally it’s a better game. Unfortunately, the low-point in DS2 (the Portal-inspired rotating tower, which is a repetitive faff) is much worse that the low-point in DS1 (going on a massive fetch-quest round all the levels you’ve already done, right before the end). Buy them on sale if you enjoy a brawler with some Zelda-like aspects, and don’t expect them to be quite as good as Devil May Cry or Revengeance.

Comment on this story