Titanfall 2’s multiplayer is having a free weekend

Of the big three killshoots that we have seen vying for supremacy in the closing moments of hellyear 2016, Titanfall 2 [official site] has earned our respect the most. It has giant robots and magic boots, everything a growing FPS fan needs. If you didn’t pick it up in the recent silly sale, don’t fret, there’s still a chance to see if it’s worth the full price, because its multiplayer side will be free to try this weekend.

The free trial starts on Friday December 2 and runs until Sunday December 4 – you can download it through EA’s rubbish Origin platform. Like I say, this is only the multiplayer portion of the game. There’s no singleplayer campaign to have a crack at. This is likely a very deliberate decision by EA, since the campaign, while very good, is only about 5 hours long. Which means you’d definitely have enough time to polish it off in a weekend while procrastinating about Christmas shopping. Unsurprisingly, the publisher wouldn’t want that.

The trial is going to include the new upcoming map though, a remaking of the first game’s Angel City map, as well as all the other bits and bobs from the DLC. But that only gets added into the mix on Saturday (for most people anyway – pre-order scabs get it sooner). The developers also note that, if you do decide to buy, any progress you’ve made with your online profile gets carried over.

If you want to know wot we reckoned, Adam thought it was quite brill in our Titanfall 2 review. But now you’ll get to see for yourself.

From this site

1. ran93r says:

I think the campaign is worth the price of admission alone, I was about 7 hours deep and that’s without all the collectables.
    The multiplayer is certainly worth looking at for nothing though, it’s a lot of fun and I hope the player base doesn’t die off as quickly as the original as there is a great game here that’s been unfortunately dropped in amongst the years two big FPS releases.

• crazyd says:

7 hours sounds like a stretch, I beat it in under 5. I really dug the campaign, but it’s not something I’d drop $60 on alone. The MP is definitely the meat here.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The campaign is short but it’s all plum and no pit. I’d recommend to anyone interested in only the campaign to wait for a discount but try to learn as little about the game as you can. Play it on Hard.

2. Fnord73 says:

Is “Article continues below” the new RPS slogan? Or some memetic virus designed to make us all your zombie-slaves, like Donald Trump managed to pull off? Or the callsign of som Culture AI finally getting ready to rescue us?I notice it has invaded all your posts back to 2008.

• FuriKuri says:

Press ctrl-f5 in your browser and it’ll be fixed.

Of course, in this day and age, you really shouldn’t be required to do that for CSS changes to come through… Tut tut, RPS webdev.

3. TormDK says:

Origin is not rubbish.

You may not like that EA had to pull a Valve to get their own ecosystem going, but that does not make it rubbish.

• Afkilla says:

Yea, you’re right – “rubbish” is much too generous. “Abysmal” would have been more concise. Origin’s appearance gets in the way of the UI and navigation. Give me 1 button for Store and 1 for Library and in 1 view show me everything I own.

The best non-steam launcher is Battle.Net, but that’s because it’s simple.

All hail Gaben.

• vahnn says:

Oh, it’s definitely rubbish. I have no problem with having to use it. But it is bad.

FrostByghte says:

It’s fairly poo imho. I haven’t purchased any games on it ever…simply no point in it. Rubbish is being kind.

• Tigris says:

Of course it does. Having to use another spying program on your computer to play a phew games is rubbish.
      Having to go online to activate is still stupid.
      In the past there were also several “nice” examples showing what they can do if they want. (The original eula you had to accept was way worse, and even if at the moment it is not that bad, they have the possibility to change it as they want (even written in their eula)) They can also just lock a country, they do threaten to ban people etc.
      ( link to gamechup.com)
      Just because steam is not much better, doesn’t mean this is good. Steam from my perspective is bad as well, but a necessary evil nowadays since 99% of games are there.
      But a 2nd worse evil for the 1% games is just not needed.

4. Afkilla says:

Hopefully this will improve the player-base on PC. The game is great, both single and multiplayer. This free weekend probably should have preceded Black Friday sales, though.

5. elpewpew says:

This game is great, just got it on Black Friday and I’m having a blast, BC2 levels of fun.
    The game’s definitely worth it, it’s fast paced, the titans are a great mechanic and nothing feels OP or cheap imo.

As for Origin, it has gotten a lot better, they’ve cleaned the ui a bit and it no longer sucks at downloading large files.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The Scorch’s core ability feels like it needs to be nerfed and I’m not a huge fan of the turrets, but other than that the online feels pretty balanced. It’s also generally not a sniper fest either!

• Daemoroth says:

“…or cheap imo.” Totally agreed! I’m not great at MP with shooters anymore, and I only dipped my toe into that side of the game this week, but where I can often exclaim with a “OH WHAT THE FFFFFF” at BF1 deaths, I haven’t had that same feeling with TF2 (And I died… A TON of times).

Loved the SP campaign and for that alone the price of admission was worth it for me, but curious to give MP some more dedicated time this weekend.

Really wish the game was given a better release date.

6. DeFrank says:

Criminally overlooked game.

• UncleLou says:

Bad timing, too expensive (at least the RRP) for people who just want the single-player campaign, and personally games that have no single-player (like the first one) are on my mental ignore list and need try extra hard to make me realize it is different this time. When I did realize it, my gaming time and budget were spent elsewhere.

Will pick it up some time next year, I guess.

7. Jaykera says:

I’m prepared to se the game dying like the first one. I played around 50hrs, regened once and I feel like I got everything the game had to offer.

At this point the game is ,at best, barely fun when everything goes well and my team isn’t overwhelmed.

On the other hand, I started BF1 (I’m new to the franchise, around 35hrs atm) and I can imagine playing it a lot longer because the atmosphere is great and even when we loose badly, I still find ways to enjoy it.

8. Norbert says:

There is no free trial it seems. When I get to Origin, it asks me to pay. It doesn’t seem to be possible to download the game without paying.

• FreakTheZoid says:

I’m having the exact same issue. Asking me to activate a non-recognised game & then sending me to a page to put in the activation code.

Comment on this story