Wurm Online 1.3 update adds bees and beer

When Brendan recently visited Wurm Online, he found that the long-running fantasy MMO appeared to be on its last legs. In a world of structures built by players, most areas were deserted and decaying. That’s a real shame, because I had great experiences in Wurm Online back around 2010, and it remains an interesting game today. Good news, then! Version 1.3 was just released and adds a new recipe based meal system, a new rune system, and… bees.

I’ll get to the cooking, but first the bees:

A long time request by players, this update will include the addition of bees and honey! Find wild hives to coax a queen out of and raise them in your own hive.

Over time they will produce honey and beeswax, which both have many uses including making mead and sealing wax kits. Careful though, opening a hive without a smoker will get you stung, and during winter they will require honey or sugar to survive.

That sounds excellent. This actually tempts me to play Wurm Online again.

The rest of the update is mostly focused on the cooking. There ar e500 recipes and “complex meals give bonuses against food/water/stamina drain, as well as temporary affinities that are different for each player.” You’re also now able to distill and ferment liquids, letting you brew wine, beer and other spirits. To aid in all this, there are seven new crop types as well as orange trees and grape and rose trellis.

Lastly there are Jacak runes, which can be attached to items for high end bonuses such as better quality items when harvesting, faster vehicles, larger carrying capacity and so on.

Despite my interest in bees, it’s unlikely I will return to Wurm Online. It takes ages to do anything or get anywhere in Wurm, a game where walking up a hill tires your character out so you need to take rests, and in which you need to sleep, eat and build shelter in order to survive. Building a shelter involves right clicking on a tree twenty times and selecting ‘chop’ from a dropdown menu until it falls down, then doing the same to turn the tree into logs, the logs into planks and then, and then, and then you need to go mining to find metal in order to smelt the metal into screws and there we go, you’ve got a single square wall. This was fun when I was playing with a village of other people, all doing the hard graft together and planning our little town projects. It’s less fun on your own.

From Brendan’s excellent feature mentioned above, about the last king of Wurm Online:

More abandoned places pass us by on the road. In places, the trees have simply grown back around player-built walls. Boats and ships lie derelict but upright on the shore, locked to all but the players who have long forgotten them. The whole world is a ruin. The only living things in the wilderness are cattle or horses, spiders or hellhounds – NPC enemies that chase our cart along the roads until they either get bored or die at the sword of the old King.

“It’s very sad. I don’t necessarily think it will always be like this. Wurm goes up and down…”

From this site

1. Behrditz says:

It looked so empty last time because nobody uses the pvp cluster anymore, and thats where you were. Pvp moved to the Epic servers, since you can bounce back and forth between pve and pvp realms there.

2. Sin Vega says:

I can’t turn the excuse twice in a day, so…

BEES

Honestly though, it’s a bit embarassing that it’s taken this long to implement recipes. All those ingredients and for years all you could ever make was the same two or, if you were feeling extravagant, three meals over and over again, with only one or two ingredients even listed in the result. Also, booze. How can you make an agricultural fantasy land without booze? Why would anyone even bother to make a farm and a blacksmith and all the rest of that village stuff if it wasn’t at some point going to result in a good drink? Silly.

Bonuses, though… ih. That kind of thing tends to just put me off, really, a needless layer of statistics, and something that will just be gamed and result in artificial oddness like 95% of people carrying around an egg and pike casserole at all times because it makes you level 2.1% faster.

After playing other games a bit like it, the sheer amount of repetition in Wurm is too tedious to go back to. You can’t even set your character to do something and then alt tab into something else, because most actions take too long to sit and watch, but not so long that you can do something else in the meantime. And you can only queue a couple, and they can stop early without warning. It’s all a bit of a shame really, Wurm is lovely in many ways, but I’m not sure it’s got much of a future.

• SexyHomie says:

Smells like LiF:YO to me. Pretty much same case. The idea is good, graphics are nice, yet gameplay itself is serious chore. And you can’t even go afk, so you are doomed to watch incredibly long animation of chopping down trees, dragging cart around, building roads etc., which is not fun at all. Same thing happened to me with Wurm. I like the idea of building awesome towns, castles, etc., yet it takes forever to actually do something. And I usually played these games with bunch of people to speed things up.
      Sigh.

3. Cvnk says:

Despite its flaws I keep returning to this game. Usually I play for 2-4 months then find other stuff to do for a while before coming back. I like its slow pace and high level of difficulty of getting things done. Perhaps that’s because what you do can last for years so you don’t have to worry about returning to the game after 6 months hiatus and finding all your hard work has been wiped out (unless you forgot to fill your upkeep or the map was shut down [that last is quite rare and hasn’t happened for years]). When I started out it was a blast being part of a bustling village but now I work alone on an isolated deed, slowing shaping the deed and taking on projects that can easily span months (e.g. mining tunnels). It’s kind of zen and quite relaxing.

My only worry is about the dearth of players is that the MMO will have to shut down someday if it can’t afford itself. Now that Wurm Unlimited is a thing there will always be servers out there but I can’t imagine any of them will have the permanence of the official servers.

Anyway, back figuring out how to make sausages or something.

4. stevelee says:

On it’s last legs?
    what, were you on a pvp server?
    very shortsighted of you to say that.
    you influence hundreds of thousands of gamers, could you be a little more professional.
    It’s good, really.. that you wrote this, because i had such a high opinion of you for the 9 years you’ve been running.
    I think i’ll go back to Ten Ton Hammer.

at least you gave Shroud of the Avatar a decent preview, thanks for offering that game the patience and insight that you refused this one, mind you, it wasn’t you that previewed it, it was Richard.

As for Wurm, a UI overhaul is in the works, I will gladly bet real cash that WO will be around and thriving, in it’s own way.. in 10 years time.
    It’s a very special experience and is more than a game.
    I’m not a fanboy, I’ve played for 3 years and most of us are perfectly capable of critical thinking.

And Brenden?
    `Lastly there are Jacak runes` Jackal, not jacak
    `There ar e500 recipes` over 500 recipes.

from your own blog
    ` I have a BA in Journalism, which is useful for writing words`

is it? is it really.
    maybe you should add to your MA in literature a Ba in language.

Wurm is a hard game, the GUI needs sorting out and that is happening for next year.

• stevelee says:

ok, the last legs comment was written on your previous article, not this one. I apologise for that.
      but dude. proofread.. and it’s spelt `an MA` not `a MA`.
      evidence – link to forum.wordreference.com

where did you get your masters degree? .. India? Hull?
      sorry for being offensive, but i am rather offended.