No Man’s Sky getting another small bugfixing patch

No Man’s Sky [official site] received its first major content update this past weekend, adding base building, farming and more to the maligned procedural space sim. Before that however there had been a bunch of smaller bugfixing patches release for the game – nine, I think? – and now it’s receiving yet another. The small patch is currently available on the game’s experimental branch and fixes a bunch of bugs that have been reported since the last update. Find the patch notes below.

Here are the patch notes, which you can also read in the update’s Steam post here:

– Following reports of some people experiencing issues with the game while unsupported mods are installed, we’ve added mod detection which will show a warning screen on loading when mods are detected. A click or button press will dismiss this screen.

– Allowed remapping of the build menu and quick menu commands to support Azerty keyboards.

– Fixed an issue which, in some rare cases, prevented NPCs from giving you mission critical dialogue.

– Fixed a bug which could cause core items to be transferred from exosuit inventory to starship inventory. Note: this is a preventative fix and won’t fix the issue for those who have already experienced this bug. We have a cure for those who have experienced on the way, it’ll be released in our next patch.

– Following player feedback, we have clarified messaging when being given tech that you already know.

– Fixed a number of rare crashes (if you continue to experience crashes, please send a crash report and include your crash dumps).

– Fix for monitor detection on PCs with 3rd party remote desktop or screen sharing applications.

– Running the game via the .exe file should no longer give Steam Init errors.

You can get in on the experimental branch by right-clicking the game in your Steam library, going to Properties, then the Betas tab, and opting in. The game will then re-download some game files and will patch automatically with each new experimental addition – though of course, getting in early means you’re more likely to encounter the faults with new changes.

If you don’t see an issue you’re experiencing in the list above, you can report your bugs to the developers via this form.

I am glad that Hello Games are continuing to support and update the game. I’m not sure whether my greater compulsion if in their shoes would be to dig in and work harder to reclaim the game, or if I’d want to respond to the negative reactions by curling into a ball, giving up and moving on. In any case it still doesn’t sound like this patch fixes the quality of life issues John is hoping they’ll fix sometime soon.

From this site

1. Cinek says:

It’s alive!!! :O :O :O

Ericusson says:

Stop talking about this turd already please.
    Wait, that was too harsh on your editorial line. Still.

3. Plank says:

If Hello Games were to remove their false advertising for NMS on Steam, GoG and Humble, then reduce the price to £8.67, they’d sell more units.

4. neatfeatguy says:

Not like it really matters for me at the moment, but the last update for the game broke SLI. Things worked well about a week before the update (when I last played) – finally got time to try the update and it looks like I’m staring into a strobe light that’s rapidly flashing. Glad I’m not epileptic.

5. Isendur says:

Is Sony throwing money at RPS that we get so many “news” about this game? If you can’t find anything newsworthy here’s a freebie: Fallout Resurrection went to version 1.5.

Nauallis says:

It’s obvious, if you bothered to think about it. This game is controversial, and clearly a lot of people still care a lot about it, which brings site traffic to other articles, news, and reviews.

For all of the fact that mostly NMS articles are pulling in negative commentary, it’s safe to assume there’s a silent majority which is reading these articles and opting to not comment. Regardless of any reader’s opinions, the controversy and ongoing development of this game is interesting.

If you really have a problem with it, you can always choose not to read or comment on articles clearly titled with No Man’s Sky. As is the case for all of these commenters with apparent on-going rage (and who loudly declare how much they haven’t played it): The only consistent part of your continuing dislike of this game is you.

• Isendur says:

Not commenting is kinda like a silent approval then, right? Not gonna happen. I see you’re trying to defend this game (saw the other nms comments from you). If negativity bothers you that much why response? Just let people write whatever they want. No hostlility intended, man.

Nauallis says:

Not commenting is situational apathy, and having better things to do with ones’ time.

As for defending the game? Not so much. Pre-release, sure. I do enjoy poking fun at stupid comments, though.

• MajorLag says:

Yeah, pre-release I was beginning to suspect someone was being payed by Sony to hype NMS, but with the post-release backlash being covered just as extensively I can see now that it was just RPS responding to the community hype-cycle.

corinoco says:

Hi, I’m a typical silent reader, but now I’m commenting. I’m quite liking the new NMS. The original – well, I played 20 hours and got a bit bored. I went back to Elite Dangerous. Was it worth $60 I paid? No. Have I ever been disappointed by a product before? Yes. Did Hello Games outright lie? I personally don’t think they lied. Embellished. Marketed. Yes – all of that; but last I looked thats not actually a crime. Did NMS do what it said on the tin? Pretty much, in my opinion. Am I being paid by Sony / Hello Games / RPS? I bloody wish I was – it would help pay some bills.

6. Moonracer says:

I feel like it is too late for the game to appeal to me at this point. I think there are a lot of people making promising games right now that will better offer the experiences that Hello Games were claiming to offer.

7. Iamblichos says:

I tried the new version, because I was one of the ones who really wanted this to be good (as opposed to what we got). The new content is interesting to a point, but my main complaints weren’t addressed:

– Movement is still at a snail’s crawl
    – Ships still handle like bloated corpses
    – There’s still pointless delay built into every choice, menu, etc.

Until those are fixed, I won’t be coming back any time soon.

• MajorLag says:

The whole point of the game is grind. As far as I can tell, that’s the only gameplay mechanic. Naturally, then, all the delays are in line with core gameplay decisions.

8. racccoon says:

This game is much better played out of Steam runs like a dream and you can choose either to be on your own with the ..executable. Or you can use the gog launcher which kind of defeats the purpose of being separated from a monopolized conglomerate called Steam.
    Like most games if they were allowed to be out of Steam they would all work so much better.
    Bring on the knife! get cutting that rope! or you can just keep on hanging by Steams bullshit noose.

9. Niko says:

I’m gonna get it as some point in the future. Not a fan of grinding, so the recent addition of creative mode could be something I need.

10. Ross Angus says:

Is this fix:

… the same as John’s complaint:

Anomolies no longer charge you 50,000 units for blueprints you’ve already got