Kingdoms And Castles is a cute town management game

I like city building games and I like real-time strategy games that let me turtle up. Kingdoms And Castles looks like a bit of both: a game about building a village, making sure it has the food and resources it needs, and then protecting it by building a castle and forming an army to fight off the viking invaders, dragons and other foes that will arrive on your doorstep. The game has already reached its funding target on FIG and there’s a trailer below.

I love the way this looks, too. If I’m going to spend hours upon hours noodling with a little village, then I want it to be pretty. K&Cs blue oceans and green fields and greener trees satisfies. I also really dig the animation as you plop down castle pieces and buildings.

The obvious point of comparison is The Settlers, which has been mixing town management and defense/offense warfare with mixed results for a couple of decades. Though simpler in appearance, Kingdoms and Castles seems to have a few ideas I’ve not seen in any of the Settlers games I’ve played, such as seasons which change between summer and winter so you need to plan for the cold and the potential for plagues to ravage your towns. That maybe moves it more into Banished territory, which another cited inspiration.

If you’d like to back the game, $10 gets you the game when it’s done (est. Q2 2017), $20 gets you in to the beta (though with the same estimated delivery time). There are stretch goals too, which you can see on its FIG page.

1. Murf says:

I miss these kinds of games. I wish we could get a new Pharaoh with this approach to the art. Children of the Nile’s realism never meshed with me.

• Pharos says:

I loved CotN, but it just took so long to do things. If only there was some way to hack additional farmers in, I’d replay the hell out of that game.

Carra says:

I’ve replayed Pharaoh this year. Such a great game, kept me busy for months.

2. MrLoque says:

Damn, yet another “alpha”, “early access” game. Sigh.

• Smoof says:

Right?

This game looks neat, but I can’t muster any enthusiasm until they actually have some sort of solid release. I’ve got so many damn games to play already–most of which, I’m not playing–I can’t be bothered to think about something that essentially doesn’t even exist.

• UncleLou says:

How does that differ from any other game announcement that doesn’t have an alpha you can buy into? Just wait until it’s released.

Alpha/EA is *always* an additional option, nobody is taking anything away from you if you just wait for the release.

• Ethaor says:

Actually that’s not entirely true. Many independant studios try their chances at the early access marketing strategy which offer them a chance to get the funds to keep on developping a game they would have been forced to abandon otherwise for various reasons.

For that reason there is a risk of the game to never get finished despite having bought into its early access. It already happened quite a lot.

As for the “just wait for release then” argument, sound advice for sure, but one is entitled to feeling tired about yet another early access economy model as well considering the frustration it creates seeing a game with lots of potential being locked behind a fairly hazardeous marketing model.

• UncleLou says:

“For that reason there is a risk of the game to never get finished despite having bought into its early access”

Well of course. Which is why I said it’s an additional option, and if you just ignore it, you can just wait for the release, just like with any other game.

“but one is entitled to feeling tired about yet another early access economy model as well considering the frustration it creates seeing a game with lots of potential being locked behind a fairly hazardeous marketing model”

I don’t think it’s any more hazardous than developing an indie game without alpha/early access. Games get abandoned all the time, for various reason. Again, if someone doesn’t like early access, that’s fair enough. Just wait and see when (and if) it gets released, but complaining about a game announcement just because people don’t like early access, which they can simply just ignore, seems completely absurd to me. Complaining for complaining’s sake.

• Hyena Grin says:

I kind of enjoy watching the development process in games, even if I’m not a regular kickstarter backer or anything. The nice thing about kickstarters is that the game development processes are (typically) more transparent than in other development scenarios.

But I am pretty fascinated by game development itself, even apart from the resulting game (I’ve followed the development of a bunch of games that I never even bothered to play), so I may be in a minority there.

Still, I tend to agree with the general argument that kickstarter/crowdfunding isn’t much different from an announcement, so I’m not entirely sure what the big deal is. Sure a kickstarted game might end up failing, but I’ve followed plenty of games that weren’t kickstarted and were canned before release (ugh, Subversion).

There’s obviously a small element of personal risk if you choose to back a game that could potentially fail regardless. But if you don’t do that, I don’t see why the funding process should matter terribly. Again, it’s just an announcement for an upcoming game.

3. SteelPriest says:

Ooh, Stronghold but not shit would be lovely.

4. Arathorn says:

It looks very nice. It reminds me of playing with castle Lego when I was a kid. I’m just wondering if you have any control over your units, RTS style, or if it’s just a matter of making sure that there are enough defences and units and hope for the best whenever something attacks?

5. Palor says:

It reminded me of Banished with some combat elements added in. Mark me as interested.

6. stuw23 says:

Regarding seasons, forward planning, and plagues, I think The Settlers 6 had these features, though I don’t recall them having too major an impact on my time with the game. The main thing I remember about winter was that beehives would freeze, as would some rivers; and I don’t think people died from plagues, but stopped working. I wouldn’t be surprised if people overlooked Settlers 6, though; it really didn’t feel very ‘Settlers-y’. Dunno if such features were in 4 and 5, as I never played those.

Also gonna mirror other people’s cries of “argh! Another EA title!” because this looks like it could be fun, but there’s way too many EA games that go unfinished.

7. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

“If I’m going to spend hours upon hours noodling with a little village, then I want it to be pretty.”
    Well, thank Christ you weren’t born an actual feudal lord, then.
    “I don’t care you haven’t been eating for three days, you despicable sack of fleas. You will take that straw roof and make it SHINE or I’ll have your head on a pike”.

8. Boomerang says:

This looks utterly adorable. The raiders carrying off the peasants is terrifyingly cute.