EA says no Battlefield next year, new Star Wars Battlefront instead

At the Nasdaq 35th Investor Program, EA Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen stated that a new Battlefield title wouldn’t be releasing for a “couple of years.” Instead EA will be pushing Star Wars Battlefront‘s [official site] sequel (Star Wars Battlefront III 2?) as their big fall shooter.

The latest title in EA’s bread-and-butter Battlefield franchise came out last month to excellent reviews and high sales. However, for now, EA hasn’t announced any future plans for the series aside from the four expansion packs that will be coming to Battlefield 1 over the next year.

Although it was the target of criticism, mostly for lack of content on release, Star Wars Battlefront sold very well. Jorgensen stated that EA was looking carefully at the complaints consumers had with Battlefront and that next years game would be “much more exciting,” and “much bigger,” than last year’s offering.

He went on to imply that the in-development Star Wars Battlefront sequel would have a greater amount of source material to draw upon than the original trilogy. As Star Wars Battlefront fed off the excitement that had built for the release of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, you can bet that the upcoming game in the series will draw on the enthusiasm that will be building around the time of its release for Star Wars Episode VIII.

1. Doomsayer says:

So EA’s opinion is that the problems people had with Star Wars Battlefront was that it wasn’t big or exciting enough?

• suramoto says:

And they are right… It was the major problem for most of the people that bought it. Now it is in a much better shape, more content, more fun. Imho, the actual problem is that the player base is fractured among the dlcs. Still, I find it to be a very nice shooter, and I’m still playing it (season pass owner here).

2. gwop_the_derailer says:

OI EA!

*nudge* *nudge*

*pointing at VR goggles*

*wink* *wink*

3. Blackcompany says:

I keep forgetting EA still makes games…hmm, guess they do.

4. fray_bentos says:

Single-player story please.

5. amblingalong says:

I don’t love to admit this but if they just kept the gameplay features from Battlefield 4 (i.e. dump the arcadey ‘powerup’ system, ‘cards,’ etc.) and painted a Star Wars skin over it, I’d buy the crap out of this game and every piece of BS overpriced DLC they could throw at me.

• kuangmk11 says:

That’s what it needs to be, just a tried and true battlefield formula. And no heros.

• jackflash says:

Completely agree. They nailed the atmosphere but the stupid number of power ups leads to an annoying, complicated and unnecessary rock-paper-scissors fight of combos that is both uninteresting and not fitting with the Star Wars universe. Just give us some blasters, thermal detonators and vehicles and I’m sold.

6. Turkey says:

EA says no to some money, says yes to lots of money.

7. grimdanfango says:

Snore.
    When is someone going to drag Lawrence Holland out of retirement and force him to make a proper Star Wars game again?
    Surely now VR has landed, it’s the perfect time!

• milligna says:

I’ve spoken to plenty of folks at Lucasfilm and EA who want a VR X-Wing/Tie-Fighter desperately. It’s obvious! I guess the money men need to be convinced.

• Bull0 says:

I’ve basically no interest in VR at the moment, but if they announced an Xwing/Tie Fighter VR game I’d be all over VR in a heartbeat.

8. tonicer says:

Probably still no mods, server files and offline bots which will lead to me not buying it. I hope others are smart enough not to buy their crappy games. Galaxy in Turmoil could have been exactly what we wanted but they had to be just to precise with the optics and the names of stuff so they could be sued into the ground.

9. Vedharta says:

Wait didn’t the last Battlefield Starwars come out like a year ago?

So a biyearly cycle for this now? argh :-/

10. stormy says:

“Star Wars Battlefront III 2?”

Reminds me of “Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy.”

11. Xzi says:

This is why I hate EA, or rather one of many reasons. Rather than developing a game until it’s finished they release a half-assed product just so they can release a sequel with a few extra features the next year. The only reason they don’t lose money all around is that people still buy both versions.

• ZippyLemon says:

To be fair to EA, the sales were good and the response was lukewarm at worst. If this allows them to take development slower (maybe putting less pressure on their employees), build the engine and asset pile, and polish everything to a sheen, all while doing essentially an early access with decent QA (which will hopefully mean they ditch the floaty orb powerups), what’s the harm?

Maybe they could take more risks, but that ship sailed for Star Wars a long, long time ago.

12. Rack says:

I’m not going to buy it but I am looking forward to Battlefield One Two existing.

13. jasta85 says:

glad I didn’t buy any battlefront DLC, and I’ll pass on pre-ordering the second one, I’ll wait and see if it actually delivers this time. Let my star wars nostalgia get the better of me last time.

14. Catsplosion says:

Please just make it more like battlefield. Remove the shoddy battlefront-esque aiming and heroes (or leave them in a hero-based game mode) and make us all happier.

• Snowskeeper says:

Nah. Loads of people want Battlefront games to be Battlefront games, not rebranded Battlefield games.

15. LukeW says:

After letting my kid spend his birthday money on SW Battlefront for PC, EA can go get stuffed.

Fool me once…