Euro Truck Simulator 2 loads up Vive la France! DLC

Euro Truck Simulator 2 [official site] has become bigger, more complex, and far more French with the launch of its ‘Vive la France!’ paid expansion today. It redoes the western-ish side of L’Hexagone, diagonally between Le Havre and Nice (sans Paris), with miles of new roads and a makeover to just be, y’know, more French. Its villages remind me a lot of the rural France I remember from holidays so I’m content.

Vive la France! adds 20,000 kilometres of (for our American readers, that’s over 400,000 American football fields) French roads, focused on this area. It also gives that zone a makeover with new landmarks, more vegetation variety, some lovely little villages, exciting industrial estates, and so on. It also introduces French industries like nuclear power and a French tollgate system. It’s France+. NuFrance. France: Championship Edition Turbo EX. I Can’t Believe It’s Not France.

If you fancy some French listening while you haul cargo in Vive la France!, I quite like the radio station France Culture and its show Mauvais Genres. Available as a podcast, it dances around films, literature, comics, and other weird odds and ends of culture, from Philip K. Dick and Frank Zappa to Japanese love dolls and a journal of bistros, and has some nice music too. Or France Inter is a fairly nice general-purpose station. But for goodness’ sake, don’t try listening to French pop music radio. You might hope to discover delightful French girl groups but no, it’s wall-to-wall tedious breathy pap. Some good hip hop is around (big up le Neuf-Trois!) but I don’t know any particular stations.

Vive la France! is £13.39/17,99€/$18.99 on Steam.

Vive la France! is a name I will continue to enjoy writing.

From this site

1. Ghostwise says:

(Incidentally it’s “Tout de suite !”)

2. Grizzly says:

Aah, I think many ETS fans will find themselves in some long engaging sundays with this.

3. Abacus says:

Zut alors!!

4. Stevostin says:

France Inter also has some nice music but most of the time it’s talk. Instead, I suggest Radio Nova. While that would be cheating a bit (it isn’t aired well on all the territory) it’s mostly about music with a taste for the implausible, the surprising, the sophisticated, the elegant. Most tracks aren’t french but the DJing certainly is very Parisian.

Their website
    link to novaplanet.com
    Streaming on the play button. With “Le Player” above, of course.

EDIT: it’s broken at the moment. Oh well :(

5. pistachio says:

Can you drive regular cars in this game? I’m interested in just driving around aimlessly, preferably fast and easy.

• walrus1 says:

There are mods for drivable cars or you could just drive a truck around without a trailer. But surely there are games better suited for this?

• pistachio says:

Thanks. I ended up buying American Truck Sim just because the base game is newer, so I figured probably better. Quite cheap too.

Liking it a lot; perfect game to unwind and it works well with a xb1 pad, dragging my steering wheel into the living room gets frowned upon for some unfair reason.

• KastaRules says:

I understand why you’d think that but ATS & ETS2 use the same engine and are evolving side by side. They are basically the very same thing, only in a different context.

I personally prefer ATS because I just love the American trucking life but (for now) ETS2 is way vaster and has a lot more content both in DLCs and Mods.

6. walrus1 says:

Wasn’t a new truck supposed to come out with this DLC?

7. SIDD says:

Does it include protesting farmers blocking roads with tractors?

8. barchetta says:

That headline screenshot is the Chateau de Saumur if I’m not mistaken. Has me hovering over the buy button on the strength of nostalgia for holidays past!

Captain Narol says:

I have the feeling it might rather be Chaumont Sur Loire, but I can be wrong…

So many castles in France, almost in every village !!

9. Louvellan says:

I had no idea the English-speaking world could even know about France Culture. It is a great radio station, full of strange stories and interesting ideas. RPS had always been my France Culture of video games. I shouldn’t be surprised to find one mentioned by the other, but it’s still heartwarming ! Delicious article, dear Alice, please keep writing Vive la France !.

Captain Narol says:

There is one very good rock radio in France that you should give a try, it’s called “Oui FM”.