Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment shows off new moves

Everyone’s favorite game about a knight with a highly undignified weapon is getting a prequel, and how! Starring Spectre Knight as its playable character, the ‘Specter of Torment’ campaign will arrive as a free update to Shovel Knight [official site]. We’ve had a peek at his swift moves before but a new trailer shows a lot more of what we should expect when Spectre Knight leaps out in spring 2017.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment is set before in events of the original Shovel Knight, and centers around the founding of the Order of No Quarter. Specter Knight’s story will involve entirely new enemies, bosses, and areas, as well as new music, objects, and equipment. As you can see from the trailer, Specter Knight moves quite a bit quicker than Shovel Knight, so it looks to be a faster-paced game in general.

This will be the second of three big planned free updates, following Plague Knight’s adventure.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment will be free to anyone who owns the first Shovel Knight when it releases some time in spring 2017. If you haven’t tried the original Shovel Knight, you can purchase it from GOG or Steam for about £11.

1. Landiss says:

Wow, they really put a lot into updating this game. It’s a shame really that I just can’t get back into it. I managed to finish the original game, but when I went tried the Plague Knight version, it’s just too hard. I’m guessing it’s a combination of the fact that it should be played with a controller (which I don’t have), not keyboard + long time passed since I finished the original and I simply lost the skill and the Plague Knight starts from a higher level of difficulty than the original.

Anyone has different experience?

• piedpiper says:

I felt like Plague Knight was easier. Maybe I just became skilled enough after finishing original campaign. But in my opinion Plague Knight had wider and more flexible arsenal of tricks. You could really customize him to your style of play instead of hitting head against the wall at the same spot 20 times in a row as a Shovel Knight.

• Pich says:

I played it on 3DS, but the catch with Plague Knight is finding the right combination for your bombs that works for the level. Also floating, that helps a lot

• LTK says:

I don’t think Plague Knight is that much harder than Shovel Knight, just very different. I played Plague Knight with the keyboard as well, which shouldn’t make much of a difference since there’s no analog movement in the game, and unlike Shovel Knight his moves are highly customisable and they require you to switch often to adapt to the situation. Shovel Knight just whacks stuff with his shovel.

• Halk says:

I found Shovel Knight to be almost unplayable with a keyboard. Even with a controller the controls are the biggest weakness of the game.

May also have to do with the fact that I don’t own an XBOX controller, but a different brand. And it feels as if all game developers nowadays assume that everyone has an XBOX controller and nothing else.

2. Catterbatter says:

He chopped that cannonball in half! This is going to be great. I think King Knight is planned for 2017 as well, but I find him sort of boring.

AceJohnny says:

Are they going to stick to their philosophy of respecting the technical limitations of the NES, as they did for Shovel Knight?

link to gamasutra.com

4. Nevard says:

It all looks very exciting, I’m only disappointed that it’s going to be followed by King Knight, the least interesting character in the game.
    It really should have been the Enchantress instead. Playing as the chief enemy with DLC just makes sense.