Dead Rising 4 shambles onto Windows 10

Dead Rising 4 [official site], the latest in Capcom’s open-world series about smashing zombies with wacky weapons, has arrived on Windows 10. Photojournalist Frank West finds himself in another mall overrun with zombies, an outbreak in the aftermath of a Black Friday outbreak when everything is all Christmassed-up and hey wait isn’t that the idea behind The Division? I’d read Tom Clancy’s take on killing zombies in a mall.

“Frank gripped the six-foot candy cane in both hands. 105 kilograms of Heckler & Koch’s finest festive hardware. If blunt force didn’t kill the zombies, the 400,000 calories he wielded would surely give a sugar high to burst their brains.”

So there Frankie is, smashing zombies, completing missions, and generally larking about. It is not a serious game. You will take selfies with zombies. You will mow down zombies on a snowmobile in the mall’s Christmas village. You will craft wacky weapons like flameswords. You will get an exosuit and supersuplex zombies.

Along with a singleplayer campaign, Dead Rising 4 has a separate four-player co-op mode.

Dead Rising 4 is out for Windows 10 on the Windows Store for £39.99. It sounds likely Capcom will release it outside Windows 10 and the Windows Store next year, or at least not impossible, as publishers Microsoft have said “It will remain a Windows 10 exclusive for the first 90 days”.

From this site

1. Traffe says:

Alice – this isn’t an Xbox play anywhere title (or whatever it’s called) like Gears 4 or Forza Horizon 3. So whatever platform you get it on will be the one you’re restricted to.

For some reason I’m quite interested in this. Looks like some mindless fun.

2. Unsheep says:

Yeeeez ! This is the AAA game I’ve been looking forwards to the most all year. I’m far from tired of Zombie games.

I’m playing this on my Xbox One, as I do most of my AAA games, since my PC rig is built for Indie games and older games.

So far I feel the game is closer to the older games than Dead Rising 3 was, the location and character has much to do with that though. Otherwise it’s the same quirky and humorous gore-fest of limbs and blades.

3. Boomerang says:

This is stupid, H&K don’t make candy canes.

• Halk says:

If some authoritarian middle eastern government offers them enough money for it, maybe they will custom-develop a murderous crowd-control candy cane?

• Ghostwise says:

This is stupid, H&K don’t make candy canes.

I agree, it’s stupid. They’d storm the market and make a killing ! These H&K blokes are so stodgy.

4. engion3 says:

My favorite thing about Forza that I bought on the windows store (besides the fact it’s the first game I’ve had with a crashing problem in 5 years) is the last two patches it redownloaded the entire 60gb+ game to patch. It gives no alerts anywhere on the screen, you have to open the windows store and go to updates to see it downloading.

Literally called my isp saying my internet was shit, while waiting to be connected to tier 3 support saw patch notes for forza in a post. Windows 10 can make anyone look like an idiot. Oh and I paid $100 for the game because I’m an idiot.

phuzz says:

Today I learnt that Alice can do a pretty convincing pastiche of Tom Clancy.

caff says:

90 days of sod all sales on PC, then.

7. eqzitara says:

I have it on windows 10 store and…. its not great. I read good things about performance and hopped on it but.
    Dont buy it especially if on a high res display. I got excited because it has a good amount of options but… Resolution does not matter besides improving jaggies. It uses varying stages of Level of detail based on distance. So basically an object past 10 feet will be just as blurry regardless of resolution. Pops in arent bad but textures all past a very close distance are pretty damn low resolution. Not they start at a high resolution. Its sad to say that Dead Rising 3 looks stunning in comparison.
    This is kind of what youd expect if you were emulating the xbox one version and were just trying to jack the resolution.

The game itself is a downgrade from Dead Rising 3 in every category. Story, characters, gameplay,graphics…. wait for a sale.

Comment on this story