SPACE HALT! Space Hulk: Deathwing delayed five days

Space Hulk: Deathwing [official site], the Warhammer 40k squad-based FPS about Space Marines shooting oh so many nasty aliens, has been delayed a few days. It was expected this Friday, the 9th, but publishers Focus Home have pushed it back until Wednesday the 14th for a little more polish. Untrue rumours started by me suggest that our own Alec Meer has been in the recording booth for a special mode replacing every single sound effect with him shouting “SPACE HULK” with various intonations.

Deathwing, to refresh your memory, is an FPS sending a Space Marine Terminators squad into the eponymous deadly conglomerations of chaos-warped ships. Missions will send you to recover valuable ancient artefacts and, y’know, shoot a whole load of aliens. In the singleplayer mode you play a librarian (read: wizard) with AI squad buddies and so many oversized weapons. In online co-op, folks get to play all sorts of different classes.

Here, have a peek in this recent trailer with 14 minutes of singleplayer action:

Focus Home say that they delay is “in order to offer the best possible experience at launch”. They explain that a few problems had become apparent in a closed beta test that wrapped up last week:

“The team is currently working relentlessly to address the technical points raised. Most issues have already been addressed, including drastic improvement in loading times, optimisation of general performance, improvement of interface and menu elements, sound-design changes including character voices, and fix of numerous bugs and nearly all occurrences of crashes. Work is of course ongoing to fix the remainder of these issues.”

Deathwing is being made by Streum On Studio, the folks behind the pleasingly overambitious cyberpunk FPS E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. It’ll cost £30 on Steam.

Top comments

1. rondertaker says:

STEVE HOLT!
  1. rondertaker says:

STEVE HOLT!

phuzz says:

In a vacuum, can you hear SPACE HULK SMASH?

Nauallis says:

I really hope the voice acting includes actors with all sorts of accents… I know full well that GW is a British company by origin, but seriously so many of the WH40k games make me feel like I’m playing in the universe of the British Imperium of Man because of voice acting alone. Space Marine is like this, which is bizarre, since the voice acting for DoW and DoW 2 was fairly diverse (and development studio Relic Entertainment is a Canadian company in Vancouver, and Vancouverites don’t have British accents at all).

Yes, I know, development location doesn’t have a huge impact on voice actor quality or accent, but developer bias or franchise rules might.

• slerbal says:

Honestly, I’m glad for the British accents – most games have American accents, so it is a pleasant experience to hear people with my own accent, plus Warhammer is a distinctly British thing so it is good to celebrate that :)

(We don’t have much else to celebrate these days!)

• Darth Gangrel says:

British Orks? Space Marine, you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

Nauallis says:

Deleted my own comment, but… yeah. It’s hilarious in Dawn of War, because the exaggerated Cockney accent helps the Orks seem uncouth, oafish, and crude, but when every party in Space Marine sounds like that… including the Chaos Marines and the Orks… I mean, they have the uncouth part nailed, but I thought the Space Marines were supposed to be majestic.

• sosolidshoe says:

If you think the English(because there’s no such thing as a “British accent”) accents for the Orks and Space Marines are even remotely similar I dunno what to tell you. I mean that’s like hearing a rural Deep South accent and a really snooty New England accent and thinking “yes, yes those things are the same” o_0

Orks are essentially football(proper, not handegg) hooligans, so they get a broad caricature of what cosseted middle class folk and people from abroad think of when you say “football hooligan”, ie Vinnie Jones. Space Marines are the heroes, so they default to middle class, “well spoken”, typically South East English accents sprinkled with the occasional “RP” Downton Abbey posho accent(Space Wolves are the special case, they get English voice actors putting on really hammy “oeugle fleugle booeugle” faux-Swedish accents).

• cpt_freakout says:

British hooligan cockney-esque accents are essential to Fantasy Orcs and 40k Orks – it would be heresy if they had some sort of silly American accent.

• vahnn says:

I much prefer the British accents. All the accents were British in the Space Hulk game released on the Sega Saturn (and other platforms?) Back in the mid 90s, which was my first introduction into the a WH40K universe. Every time a game has since featured American accents has grated on my nerves.

BertieDugger says:

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only British English.

The Imperium of Mankind voted overwhelmingly to take back control from chaos, and the Eldar Union.

4. klops says:

Hopefully they also remove that spiral animation from the hammer guy before release. 0:53

• sicsided says:

The Dev said they would be fixing that, per a response on the Youtube video.

5. bigblack says:

Good. I can totally wait a few days to get a better game out the gate and DEATHWING has real potential. The beta revealed some important issues, this is the right move.

• Useful Dave says:

It’s almost like the beta is actually being used to test for performance issues/bugs and acting on player feedback.

Devs like Ubisoft releasing weekend ‘Betas’ a week before launch can lead to forgetting that improvement can actually be a thing.

• Herring says:

I’m not sure where you learned what a beta is!

Beta’s are part of the extended marketing push for release; they’re nothing to do with the development process.

• Warduke says:

I’m not a game developer but based on how long it takes for these games to be released, five extra days doesn’t seem like a significant amount of time to accomplish much?

6. lemon crud says:

So, right. Who would win in a fight between some Zen-owes and some Zee-Noes and some Zen-oss?

Also Space Marines who feel like they’re constantly being overwhelmed should perhaps consider an alternative line of work.

• Harmless Sponge says:

Zee-Noes++, definitely has my vote. Zen-oss always sounded like some sort of bathroom cleaner to me.

7. Prinzmegahertz says:

I bet they are still searching for that archive record viewer. Ezeekiel, it’s to your right!

• Malagate says:

Ezeekiel would get it, if it weren’t for Bethor.

Bethor, GET OUT OF MY WAY!