Warhammer 40k: Space Wolf hunting on PC in 2017

SPACE WOLF. SPACE WOLF! SPACE Wait what is this again? Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf [official site], to remind you, is a card-driven, turn-based tactical combat game about space vikings scrapping with space demons. We’ve not mentioned Space Wolf since it was announced in 2013 but now, after a stretch on pocket telephones, it’s on its way to PC. Developers HeroCraft have announced that they’ll launch Space Wolf into early access in February.

So! Those burly Space Wolves have been bad at space flying and – oh no! – space ended up on a planet full of those rude Word Bearers boys. This calls for a rumble. Squad combat is turn-based on a grid, with different cards representing abilities, attacks, items, and so on.

Here, see snippets of how it works in this trailer showing off PvP in the mobile version:

I’ve not played the pocket version so, er, can any of y’all lend a voice of experience? Sound off if you’ve enjoyed being a space viking.

Space Wolf is due to hit Steam Early Access on February 16th, 2017, then hopefully launch full and finished later that year. It’ll start out with a few campaigns and the online PvP mode, then new modes, missions, items, enemies, and all that will be added over the early access period. While Space Wolf is free-to-play on pockphones, it’ll be a paid game for us.

From this site

1. fuggles says:

It was actually pretty fun until I hit the paywall and struggled until I could grind for enough cards. In honesty, I would probably have finished it but lost the save, but then I love 40k.

I gather the final mission is a dire escort sort of a deal.

Benratha says:

Hi Alice! Actually fuggles beat me to it. Although the game is ‘free to play’, it has those danged ‘in-app-purchases’ which can be pretty vital if you’re a struggling Wolf cub without a storm hammer to its name.

3. Snidesworth says:

I played for about an hour and found it tedious. The few missions I completed were far too long, involving a lot of walking between packs of enemies in a clunky turn based system and the actual fights weren’t interesting enough to make up for it. For context, I’m overly fond of 40k and have spent plenty of time playing other mobile games that use the setting (Freeblade and Deathwatch to name a couple), but that affinity wasn’t enough to make me stick with it.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

I found space wolf tedious too, Freeblade got repetitive, there is no Deathwatch in playstore.
      Got any recommendations for android 40k games?

• Snidesworth says:

I’d say Freeblade, since it’s the best I’ve played, but you’re right in saying that it’s quite repetitive. Battlefleet Gothic: Leviathan is apparently of good quality and models the rules of the tabletop game accurately. If you’re down with playing £3.39 for a mobile game then it’s probably a safe purchase.

• fuggles says:

I’m enjoying drop assault far more than I should.

4. mattevansc3 says:

I didn’t find it as tedious as others but I would not pay for it.

It’s far too simplistic. Gaming the action point system is the closest this game has to strategy. Cover is pointless most of the time and weapon types have little meaning.

The mission themselves are either kill everything, kill that thing, get to here or escort this person. The maps are linear and apart from finding the special crate in each mission the optional quests can be counted on one hand.

Worst of all, the enemy AI is dumb and their main tactic seems to be swamping and spamming units. With no way to heal its really just makes each mission a battle of attrition.

Actually I’ll take back what I sais. It is tedious and I’ve deleted it from the tablet

5. allthegoodonesweretaken2 says:

Isn’t the “defeat the weak” tagline in a PvP game with micro transactions essentially admitting it’s pay2win?