Best PC gaming deals of the week

This week has already flown past, in a blur of Christmas music and busy shops. The closer we get to Christmas, though, the more acceptable it is to gorge on chocolate and mince pies, so there’s always a silver lining. Whatever you’re planning to do with the upcoming “holiday season”, we’ve got another week’s worth of deals to check out, from the depths of the information super-highway. Let’s get to it.

As usual, we’ve got deals that’ll work in the UK, deals that’ll work in the US and some deals that will work in both the UK and US, as well as presumably many other places.

UK & US Deals

Given that we’re speeding steadily through December by now, GamesPlanet is now onto its third ‘Xmas Sale’ weekend. This sale, in case you didn’t already guess, brings more offers on a variety of games each weekend up until the aforementioned ‘Xmas’. This week involves Dark Souls 3, Bastion, Stasis and more.Almost all of these games should be available in the UK, US and beyond, but always make sure to check the game page itself to double-check if the key will work in your region.

Dark Souls 3 for £25.99
Stasis for £7.49
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Definitive Experience for £14.99
Quantum Break for £22.49
Bastion for £2.30
Mortal Kombat XL for £14.99
Homefront: The Revolution for £10.20

GamesPlanet Xmas Sale – Part 3

Since the next story in the Mass Effect franchise won’t be about the beloved Shepard themselves, you may find yourself missing the good old days. Garrus and his calibrations, Mordin and his Gilbert and Sullivan, driving that damn Mako around endlessly. Fortunately, you can still pick up all three Mass Effect games for under £10 / $10 thanks to Green Man Gaming’s current offer. The entire trilogy for £8.99 / $8.99, the downside here being that this doesn’t include the DLC, of which there are various packs for each game. But hey, it’s still a good price for all three games.

Mass Effect Trilogy on PC (Origin) for £8.99 / $8.99 from Green Man Gaming

UK Deals

Dishonored 2 may have had a bit of a rocky start on PC, but it seems to be making headway into being fixed up and looking the way it should have all along. With that in mind, GAME’s daily advent PC download offer just so happens to be on a Steam copy of Dishonored 2, which is down to £26.79 for one day only.

Dishonored 2 on PC (Steam) for £26.79 from GAME

GeForce’s latest addition to the “10” series of cards is this 1050 Ti which usually retails for around £160. Right now, though, you can save a bit of cash by going through Ebuyer and picking up a GeForce 1050 Ti OC 4GB card while it’s discounted down to £139.98. One to watch if you’re thinking of building yourself a new rig anytime soon or simply want an upgrade.

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB graphics card for £139.98 from Ebuyer

For those of you out there with expensive taste, this Sennheiser Game Zero PC gaming headset is currently £30 off when bought through Groupon. The Game Zero usually sells for around £170, but will cost you £139 for a limited time, if you fancy it.

Sennheiser Game Zero PC gaming headset for £139 from Groupon

US Deals

This 29-inch LG ultrawide 21:9 curved IPS monitor is currently available for $259.99, its lowest price yet, if you click the link below and use the code CINEMA50 at checkout. That’ll lower the price by $50 and you can begin basking in the ludicrously widescreen goodness.

LG 29-inch Ultrawide IPS monitor for $259.99 using code CINEMA50 from BuyDig

For those looking for a frantic, high-octane racing game that they can play on more than one platform for the same price, look for further. Forza Horizon 3 is currently reduced down to $39.99 at Amazon US in the form of a digital code that will unlock not only the Xbox One copy of the game, but the Windows 10 version too. This also makes it one of the cheapest ways to pick up the PC version.

Forza Horizon 3 on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC for $39.99 from Amazon US

Alright, we’re done for another week. Keep in mind that deals, prices and availability can change at the drop of a hat, so apologies if you miss out on something you wanted. I’ll be over at Jelly Deals, scouring the world wide web for more deals. Feel free to visit, or follow us on Twitter and give us a like on Facebook.

From this site

1. Retne says:

RPS-ers: Advice wanted, please.
    I have looked, but found conflicting opinions about this (what, on The Internet, NEVER!). I trust folks here more than elsewhere, and haven’t actually just asked for help.
    I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth upgrading from a GeForce 670 to a 1050 Ti. I realise I’m going from a x70 to a x50.
    If you want more info: I won’t mind spending ~£120 on the 1050 (can get it ex VAT), not sure I can currently justify a 1070. I play all sorts of games, and drive three monitors (1440p, two old 1280 by 1024s), but really those three just for desktop / apps.

• CMaster says:

It depends on the exact prices you find, but in general the 1050Ti isn’t worth it. For a small amount more, you can get the RX470, which is much, much faster. It’s also hotter and more power hungry, which can matter in certain situations.

The benchmarks I can find suggests that your 670 is a bit slower than the 1050Ti, but not massively. So yeah, either find the bit more cash for a 470, a good bit more for a 480/1060/1070, or wait I think for you.

• Vandelay says:

I’ve just bought myself a 1070 and I’m happy with it so far. I know that is probably not what you are looking for and, to be honest, I was very reluctant to spend this much on a card too. Unfortunately though, you are probably going to want to spend a bit more on a card, as you say you use 1440p (the res I also use.)

This all depends on the kind of games you play and graphics quality that is acceptable for you, obviously, but I would really keep an eye out on good deals for a 1060. The review on here for the card was quite positive on the performance they were able to get on it at 1440p, although it apparently struggled a bit with the likes of The Witcher 3. I don’t know how long it will last performing to that level (which is why I decided to go for the next level up,) but you at least know that it is a card that will be giving you some really good performance right now.

2. Kefren says:

Why is Snake Plisskin choking Geralt?

• Scripten says:

Nanomachines.

phuzz says:

When two grown-ups love each other very much…

• thetruegentleman says:

When Geralt was told to hunt down Venom Snake, a monster who seizes people and valuables to whisk them away to his secret lair, he kinda assumed they were being literal and got himself ambushed by a cardboard box.

Liveware Error says:

That Dishonoured 2 deal is matched by Amazon which I find easier to use than Game due to saved payment info etc – just snapped it up myself!

• Jeeva says:

I do find the RPS game-deals a bit disappointing, as having a quick look on the Game website shows D2 for £19.99 as a disc copy – better deal?

link to game.co.uk

Maybe I just hang out on /r/gamedeals too much…

4. lglethal says:

For anyone looking at the Mass Effect deal, just be warned that whilst you get the trilogy for $9 (and admittedly you get a lot of bang for your $9). If you want the complete story with all of the DLC, your looking at another $50, which has NEVER been discounted for PC.

And unfortunately bits of the story which are critical to really understanding the background of the story are locked beyond those paid DLC’s. A single piece of ME3 DLC will set you back about 1200 bioware points which are currently selling for €12 on Origin (no longer available on the store page only in the extended content page can you actually make the purchase there now) or from social.bioware.com where it will cost you about €10 (so thats a little tip if you want bioware points, buy direct from Bioware rather than from Origin).

It’s a good deal for the trilogy, but it’s frankly ridiculous that you then need to fork out far more for just a single part of the story thats add maybe an hour or two of play time but which sometimes is critical to your understanding. Bioware are disgusting like that…

FhnuZoag says:

You really don’t need the DLC to understand the story.

• Kamestos says:

Yeah but still. Citadel (ME3 dlc) is still sold on the equivalent of 15€ and has never been discounted.
        It is just baffling.

phuzz says:

You kind of do need the DLC, otherwise Liara goes from being a naive archaeologist in ME1, to “Ms-not-appearing-in-this-game” in ME2, to suddenly being something called a ‘Shadow Broker’ with loads of resources in ME3.
        If you have the DLC there’s a plot behind all of this that’s never mentioned otherwise.
        Equally Leviathan explains the origins of the Reapers, which is fairly important, unless you don’t care why the big bad has decided to kill everything in the galaxy.

Sure, some bits of DLC are tangential to the story, but some of them are pretty important, and good luck working out which is which without spoilering yourself.

• Nauallis says:

Even if you don’t get any or all of the story DLC, there are a couple of “prequel” DLC packs that allow you to remember the choices you made in the previous game if you choose to import a character, or if you want to create a new character each time but still have access to all of the story options (some of which aren’t available to a new character in ME2 or ME3 if you don’t import or use the prequel DLC, despite being scenarios included in the base games). I recommend those packs if you don’t plan on playing the Mass Effect trilogy back-to-back. It’s a confusing mess.

FhnuZoag says:

I’m just saying. The only bit of DLC I played for ME was Citadel which I purchased a year after completing the game. And I had a fun experience. Could it be improved by DLC? Sure, but that’s not really a problem.

5. ropeladder says:

Just noticed that Groupees currently has Brigador for $10 (around the cheapest it’s been) plus a ton of albums by Makeup and Vanity Set here. (currently 200 copies left)

subdog says:

I don’t think there’s anything quite as disappointing as checking the Steam Weekend sale and seeing the words “Daedalic Publisher Weekend!”.

As if Daedalic games going on sale is some rare treat

• Vandelay says:

True, but it does also include the rather excellent Shadow Tactics. If you liked Commandos and/or Desperadoes way back when, then you should really ignore the terrible name and get this game. Serious nostalgia trip.

However, I picked it up from Green Man Gaming for the more reasonable ~£25, instead of the £31+ it is on Steam.

john_silence says:

£139, or £170 for that matter, is not really “expensive taste” as far as headsets go; sure, for gamer headsets it’s a bit of a ceiling, but having switched from the very capable Siberia 650 by Steelseries to a headphone amp + headphones set-up, I can only recommend others do the same when possible.

I remember when SSDs started popping up everyone was like “get one, even in an old PC it’s the single most important quality-of-life improvement you can make.” And right they were, of course. But that was just loading times – I mean, I’d slit my wrists from the frustration if I had to endure minutes of boot-up again, but with headphones obviously we’re taking about one of the two senses connecting you to the game’s environment. It’s nearly as important as your screen, really.

I use a Sony PHA1 DAC/headphones amp. It acts as an external sound card in which I plug Sony MDR-1A headphones – decent by themselves, absolutely amazing in this combination. The first time I tried it for gaming was with Battlefield 1’s campaign mission The Runner, which starts out along the coast line in a maelstrom of artillery. The sense of presence was greatly enhanced, the shelling sounded like a fearsome deluge of destruction instead of just background noise for a spot of shoot-the-baddies. There’s space around you too, more so than with so-called surround headphones.
    And for Spotify it’s in another league, although the Siberia’s little USB soundcard did a decent job. It’s quite musical for a gamer headset.

The Sony hardware set me back 400€ in dedicated audio gear. Of course a 200€ headset that integrates a soundcard/amp, a mic and the headphones themselves can’t compete. Still if you’re in the market I urge you to consider a comparable set-up. Maybe putting the accent on the ‘phones and getting a DAC/amp in the 100-150€ price range, such as the Audioquest Dragonfly, small as a USB stick, or the NuPrime µDSD.
    If your motherboard came with a good soundcard (above Realtek level), or you’ve got a good soundcard or DAC already and you need something good to pair it with, consider the Kef M500.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, carry on now :)

• svge says:

Headphone amps are pretty much snake oil as far as “quality” goes. They can just drive the headphones volume higher and/or actually distort and colour (essentially degrading) the signal. That might be to your taste but it’s entirely subjective and definitely not an objective increase in clarity, resolution, space, (insert marketing word here) etc.

Your actual headphones are what will make the biggest difference in listening experience.

• jTenebrous says:

That really depends on the headphones. My old (and much loved) Sennheiser HD600s are 300ohm impedence (most are 25ohm or less)… the headphone jacks on most of my devices clearly don’t drive them all that well. Plug them into a headphone amp, even a modest one, though and it’s immediately obvious they were designed to rely on one. We’re not talking subjective audiophile stuff here… I don’t bother with custom interconnects, dacs, tubes, and all the other business. It’s just that some cans need a bit more juice.

john_silence says:

Quick follow-up, not that anyone is still reading this.

True, headphone amps can be a nuisance, a useless layer. They are only mandatory with certain headphones, as jTenebrous is saying, esp. those with high impedance – depending on the power of the source obviously.

However you confuse amp and DAC in your comment, and stating a good DAC makes no difference compared to an onboard Realtek chip is plain wrong and misleading. Most anyone will benefit from an improved DAC – especially with good headphones! Which are indeed the first thing to upgrade, but won’t shine without a matching source.