Want more Wang? Shadow Warrior 2 adds trials

Shadow Warrior 2 [official site] is hardly story-heavy but if you simply want to launch yourself into a horde of monsters with your swords swinging, a new update has your back. Developers Flying Wild Hog last night boshed in trials offering a series of rewards as you murder the heck out a load of demons. Why delay? Murder today!

Here’s what publishers Devolver Digital say about last night’s update:

“Shadow Warrior 2’s The Way of the Wang DLC opens up a new area within the game’s hub town, presenting seven special trials for Lo Wang to unlock and overcome. Players will be able to earn new crafting abilities, weapon gem slots, and base weapon upgrade perks upon completing each new trial with the prized Fist of Gozu weapon waiting for those that complete the final Trial of the Ancient God mission. Shadow Warrior 2 fans will also find three new ‘Insane’ difficulty levels for the game and five new achievements waiting for them in the DLC pack.”

Well, they call it ‘DLC’ but c’mon you big sillies. “In my day we’d call that a ‘patch'” etc. but I will accept ‘content update’.

Devolver have previously mentioned plans for new weapons, items, and co-op ninja characters so hey, we can at least we expect more playpals in the future too.

Shadow Warrior 2 has a 25% discount on Steam and GOG this weekend too, bringing it down to £26.24/27,74€/$29.99 or thereabouts. Here’s a peek at Wang’s new games:

1. Kefren says:

DLC, patch, content update … the industry just like to confuse things. DLC is meaningless in that everything on Steam, GOG etc is DLC – the games themselves are downloadable and they (hopefully) have content.

Back in my day (etc etc) there were games, and there were patches, and there were expansions (or expansion packs). It seemed much clearer. Expansions added features, levels, missions or characters to a game. They required the original game too unless they were standalone expansions. Nowadays when new PC games are all released online (even if you buy a boxed version the first thing it will do is download a shitload of huge files) the DL bit seems anachronistic, and the C bit was always meaningless. Bring back the triumvirate of Games, Patches, Expansions!

• inspiredhandle says:

Hear hear!

…ehr…what about those stupid cosmetic/weapon pack micro transaction things? Do they by process of elimination fall under expansions? Oh, wait, they’d be done away with all together. Silly me.

• Kefren says:

Ha ha, I guess they are technically micro expansions. Though they probably don’t deserve to exist or get referenced in polite conversation. Customer-fleecing cash-cows would be another possible term.

2. Ericusson says:

I am curious if I am the only one who did not get along with Shadow Warrior 2.
    I loved the first reboot and did not care for one bit it was linear : it was fun.

But after a few hours on the 2nd, I just did not find any motivation to pursue the adventure. I felt the Npcs to fight were too few too far apart. I kept running and getting half lost on maps.
    I got frustrated by the itemization and yet another loot system that drowned me into a meaningless grind.

The hub felt empty. The game actually felt empty because of all this and I can’t bring myself to launch the game again.

• Herring says:

What difficulty did you have it set on? I had it on the first one up from normal, one down from Insane (hard?) and I was swamped a great deal of the time.

Lot’s of tenses chases across roof-tops scrabbling for a bit of mana / health while The Bad Guys chased.

I didn’t like the story as much as the first and Wang’s comments didn’t make me giggle like some of them in SW1 (“Please explode. Please explode. Please explode.”) but I thought the combat was even better.

• gabrielonuris says:

You’re not the only one, but if I said I didn’t get along with this game I’d be too gentle. I *HATED* those lazy Borderlands mechanics, turning a great franchise into a mindless loot shooter. I’ve got extremely disappointed with Flying Wild Hog for making this with the Shadow Warrior IP.

They were on the right way with Hard Reset, they’ve made a wondrous job with Shadow Warrior and then… Well, then SW2 happened. From the moment I heard they were using procedural levels I’ve already was expecting a disappointment.

• Kamestos says:

Do you guys play it with a gamepad or K&M ?
        I would be interested in this game, and typically I play first-person games with a mouse but with all the moves and powers I wonder if it is a good choice.

• bjohndooh says:

Shadow Warrior 2 is the type of game that needs to be played together. Play with a buddy and crank the difficulty up and it’s a much better game than playing solo.