The Foxer

The defoxing annexe has been wreathed in fog for the last two days. Roman and me took advantage of the conditions to try out a new toy, a 6kW STIHL fog cutter. Carried either knapsack-style or on the hip like a clearing saw, the cutter can be fitted with 1m or 1.5m hot wires. We used the shorter ones for our first sally and quickly got into the swing of things. With Roman cutting and me stacking the blocks, it took us less than thirty minutes to clear the courtyard, and – after switching roles – only a further hour to clear the entire car park. Last year, using traditional cleavers and fog hooks, the same task took us the best part of a day!

The answer’s to last week’s ’25 things you might find on, or attached to a horse’ missing vowels foxer

1. LD YGDV – Lady Godiva (Little_Crow, Stugle)
2. RFLSCB BRD – rifle scabbard (Little_Crow)
3. PLR VR – Paul Revere (Barfo)
4. FRZB RND – freeze brand (Little_Crow)
5. MS TRF THHN T – master of the hunt (Little_Crow)
6. BTTNBR DS – button braids (Shiloh)
7. CLDD VL – Claude Duval (Little_Crow)
8. SRCNGL – surcingle (AFKAMC)
9. HPPSNDL – hipposandal (Stugle, Little_Crow)
10. TRVS – travois (AFKAMC)
11. THDN – Théoden (unacom)
12. BRCH – barouche (Little_Crow)
13. WN GDHSSR – Winged Hussar (Little_Crow, unacom)
14. SWNGLTR – swingletree (AFKAMC)
15. FRNKDT TR – Frankie Dettori (Little_Crow)
16. PSTLNC – Pestilence (AFKAMC)
17. RGT – ergot (Little_Crow)
18. S BLLWRTH – Isabell Werth (Little_Crow)
19. PLH MBT – Pelham bit (Little_Crow)
20. TCHNK – tachanka (unsolved)
21. BSNG* – nosebag (Shiloh)
22. QD NR* – rodeo queen (unsolved)
23. ZBL* – blaze (Shiloh)
24. RQV* – vaquero (unsolved) or Revoque (Shiloh)
25. YRTLP* – peytral (unsolved)

* * * * *

Roman wants movie titles today. Work out which films made use of the following locations to win Flare Path flair points made from holly wood and merchant ivory.

phuzz says:

I’m pretty sure that (a) is the Timberline Lodge, aka the Overlook hotel in The Shining.

2. Artiforg says:

K is the Hotel del Coronado, which appeared in “Some Like it Hot”.

3. Stugle says:

G) are the stairs from the Laurel and Hardy movie The Music Box – link to en.wikipedia.org

4. Artiforg says:

E is Cromer Pier which had a scene from Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa filmed on it.

phuzz says:

(d) is the Intrepid Air and Space museum (I’d love to go there one day). Specifically it’s a picture of the Dassault Étendard IV on deck.
    Apparently both I Am Legend and National Treasure have used it as a location, I’m not sure which Roman is likely to have watched.

6. Stugle says:

D) looks like the USS Intrepid, a museum ship in New York. Wikipedia tells me it was used in the movies I Am Legend, National Treasure, and Aftershock: Earthquake In New York.

• Little_Crow says:

Aha, you’ve found a new foe!

phuzz says:

:p

• Stugle says:

I spent too long wondering if I had to include Aftershock: Earthquake In New York – that movie was my downfall. :p

phuzz says:

From the description of ‘hitting golfballs off an A-12’ I’m assuming Roman is thinking of I Am Legend, but I thought I ought to include National Treasure as well. I almost delayed too long checking if the Dassault had been used in anything.

phuzz says:

(f) is the The California Palace of the Legion of Honor, which was used in Vertigo.

phuzz says:

(h) is NOT Castle Arrrggghhh from Holy Grail. Neither is it in the Camarrrrrrrrgue (I think).

• Little_Crow says:

I had the same train of thought, nor is it Eilean Donan used in Highlander

The google images of Scottish castles have been heavily leaned upon

• Stugle says:

Just chiming in belatedly to confirm that it isn’t Eilean Donan – even though the style looks very similar.

• Artiforg says:

It’s Dunguaire Castle in Ireland. Used in a Disney movie “Guns in the Heather” starring Kurt Russell and also a film called “North Sea Hijack”.

9. Artiforg says:

I think (i) is Belchite (the image seems to be of the ruins of St Martin’s Church). According to Wikipedia, “The Adventures of Baron Munchausen” and “Pan’s Labyrinth” used Belchite.

10. Stugle says:

H) Dunguaire Castle in Ireland? link to en.wikipedia.org

• Stugle says:

Used in Guns In The Heather and the classic [ahem] North Sea Hijack.

phuzz says:

(j) Looks like somewhere in LA, which has appeared in basically every bloody movie ever.
    Is it from Pulp Fiction? The apartment where Bruce Willis and his girlfriend are hiding out?

• mrpier says:

J has a connection to Jason Bourne at least. :D

Guildenstern says:

It’s the corner of Atwell Avenue and Fletcher Drive, LA. Where Butch hits Marcellus Wallace with his car. =]

phuzz says:

Damnit! I tried doing a bit of streetview round there, but I went east instead of just 100m west. (Oh, and it’s Atwater avenue, but you were clearly in the right place)

Guildenstern says:

Oops. Serves me right for surreptitiously googling Pulp Fiction filming locations at work.

12. Rorschach617 says:

Going to put a marker down for B while I confirm it.

I think that is the church in “The Eagle has Landed”

phuzz says:

(c) is a restaurant called Le Chêne in California, which was in the film Duel

14. Stugle says:

For L), I’m trying to find a city or tour bus that is in a purple/pink and white color scheme. Suggestions so far: Shanghai and Havana.

• Little_Crow says:

The GOKL buses in Kuala Lumpur are very similar

• Stugle says:

It’s probably not Kuala Lumpur (or Singapore – my thought), as those countries drive on the left and the image shows cars on the right side of the road. Only 191 countries to go…

• Rorschach617 says:

Its a weird one, L.

I see women wearing headscarves on the left and the whole thing gives me a Mediterranean vibe.

All the cars appear to have white rear number plates, if that is any help.

• Little_Crow says:

And the taxi’s are yellow

phuzz says:

From the pictures I’ve been looking at, I don’t think it’s Havana. (This is the point that Stugle proves me wrong).
      Plus there’s not many films filmed there, which makes it a bit less likely I guess.
      Oh, and the cars look newer than I’d expect for Cuba, Europe seems more likely.

EDIT: Wait, that’s a streetview image, and there’s no streetview in Havana, QED

• Rorschach617 says:

Hands up everyone who, right now, wishes they had one of those photo-investigating machines out of Blade Runner?

Just me?

phuzz says:

Cropping the picture, and putting it into google’s reverse image search often works, in this case I get “road”.
          Thanks google. thoogle.

• Stugle says:

I stand corrected. The buildings struck me as older, which made me think Havana was plausible, but even without the streetview issue, I agree that not many films have been shot there. Back to the drawing board I go. :)

• AbyssUK says:

L) looks very German to me, and i Live in Germany.. i think its that bin on the left and the bus shelter and the arrows on the road.. it just looks German…

• Stugle says:

Hm. Berlin at least has creamy white taxis (big honking Mercedeses, too), so at least it’s not the German capital.

• AbyssUK says:

I am chaging my mind.. i notice a lack of street lights and no crossing signs.. i am now thinking more eastern european..

• Stugle says:

I’m wondering about Istanbul – it has yellow taxis, I’ve seen a few images of buses that include purple in their color scheme, Turkey has both ‘western’ and more traditional Muslim dress, and a whole bunch of movies have been shot in the city.

No idea about any particular movie or scene yet, though.