Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ starts weeping January 3rd

The second The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth [official site] expansion, Afterbirth+, now has a release date: January 3rd. It’ll give the roguelikelike dungeon crawler a new chapter, a new character, new items, new enemies, and that other typical expansion stuff, but also bring official mod support. Afterbirth+ was expected to launch by the end of this year but hey, I’m sure the holiday season can provide you with enough tears, torment, inner demons, and family confrontations to tide you over for another three days.

Isaac co-creator Edmund McMillen gave a big ol’ list of Afterbirth+’s content in his announcement of the release date. We’re looking at a new final chapter with a new final boss, 67 new items, 27 new trinkets, at least 10 new pickups, 5 new Challenges, hundreds of new room layouts, 2 new transformations, 4 new bosses, new forms for old bosses, new enemies, new music, tweaks to Greed Mode, some other odds and ends, and a new playable character.

That new character will be Apollyon, the destroyer, whose item can destroy passive items for stat boosts and collect the powers of active items. That sounds great fun – no more useless items!

Oh, and you’ll be able to take ‘victory laps’ back around after finishing a run.

I’m quite curious to see what players do with the mod tools. They let players create new items and room layouts and enemies and whatnot, but McMillen has hinted players could make basically a new game. The devs plan to roll a small number of mods into the base game with monthly updates.

Here’s a dreadful little trailer for Afterbirth+. Poor tormented Isaac.

1. smeaa mario says:

I almost died waiting for this. I’ll have to hang on a little bit more obviously.

2. Juan Carlo says:

I still haven’t bought the original “Afterbirth” because I heard it was shit and I also wanted to whittle away at some of the original achievements in the base game before making the game needlessly more complex. Maybe it doesn’t do that, though, I don’t know.

• bandertroll says:

AB is just more stuff and some bugfixes. Not a great deal, just enhancement. “Shit” is rude, it’s just “meh” in most poor grade.

• ButteringSundays says:

Where did you hear that? It’s certainly not a common opinion.

• Snowskeeper says:

It’s a pretty common opinion. It was especially common immediately after launch, when several of the fixes and additions that would come later were not there yet, and where a fair proportion of the community was convinced that Edmund had deliberately cut content to punish dataminers or something.

• ButteringSundays says:

I bought it on day 1 but tend to stay away from drama. Positive ratings piled in and it picked up an 85 meta score, so I think that puts it fairly in the ‘uncommon’ territory.

• Snowskeeper says:

Commonality refers to the frequency with which the opinion occurs. It occurs frequently (the forums were overloaded with it post-launch); therefore, the opinion is common.

• geldonyetich says:

If you’re looking at life through the lens of a subjectively observed commonality of opinion, it’s not truth you seek, but popularity.

Afterbirth was a rebuild of the original largely Flash-bashed engine, it’s inherently better for that reason alone. If there’s any disappointment to be had, it’s just that it was not a completely different game. For the most part, it was the previous game on a new engine. This may have generated some complaints that it was like buying the same game twice. Of course, it has had time to become more than that since then.

• Snowskeeper says:

We’re talking about Afterbirth+–the expansion for the expansion for the rerelease. You are talking about the rerelease, which was called Rebirth.

• Ericusson says:

From our innate resistance to change probably :o)

• Snowskeeper says:

I don’t necessarily agree with the opinion that Afterbirth is shit, but boiling their complaints down to that is sort of dismissive. Especially at launch, there were a lot of valid reasons to be upset, and although many of them have since been resolved, things like the fact that the ‘final’ boss’ theme probably shouldn’t be playing for Greed Mode’s bonus rounds are still, er, things.

• Ericusson says:

Disclaimer, I was half talking out of my ass as I never got too much into Afterbirth after launch ;o)

3. Jalan says:

Looking forward to Afterbirth++, +++ and so on.

As much as I enjoy the game, it’s hard not to be cynical about the next “final chapter” when they seem to be rolling out more “final chapters”.

• Snowskeeper says:

They’re not saying “a new, final chapter.” They’re saying “a new final chapter.” As in, “a new ending.”

Edmund is currently working on two new games. I don’t find it difficult to believe that this will be the final piece of paid DLC for this version of Isaac.

• Jalan says:

That’s the thing – they don’t need to say it in any specific way, that it’s being said at all makes it hard not to view it as a method of excusing more DLC. I’m not begrudging them for adding more content to the game, just that it feels less like anything “final” each time they do it.

And he’s “been working on multiple new games” regardless (whether some of these games fell apart over time or not, the phrase is still applicable), yet there’s still been Isaac content.

• Snowskeeper says:

They don’t need to say it. They also don’t need to call their content packs “DLC.”

They call them “final chapters” because they’re the final chapters in a given run. They don’t call them final chapters because they’re meant to be definitive, or to complete the game somehow. It’s not a way of justifying more DLC; if they wanted to do that, they could have just gone with “a new chapter.” You’re taking this too seriously.

(Unless what you’re objecting to is the fact that DLC for this game exists in the first place, in which case, well… Okay, I guess? This game has a pretty huge fanbase, and many of us do want more content, which is why the news that the dev team is going to be incorporating particularly popular mods into the game after AB+’s launch has been received so well, thus far, but if you’re upset about the fact that BoI is getting more content even though two other games are being developed alongside it (actively developed, I mean. Both ØUROBOROS and Legend of Bumbo are being Actively Developed as Full Projects, and are frequently mentioned and described on Edmund’s blog), there’s not much I can say to change your mind.)

• aerozol says:

What’s there to be cynical about?
      That implies that you don’t want him to keep updating the game… if you need a hard “ending” just don’t buy the next expansion, but don’t begrudge the rest of us new content :o
      I commiserate if it’s because you’re a hopeless completionist (preach brother), but personally I can’t wait for each new ‘final ending’, really looking forward to this.

Lexx87 says:

After 12 hours, 12, I finally beat the Brains challenge the other day. I hated it. Somehow I keep coming back…

5. dethtoll says:

I’ll never really grasp the popularity of this, both in terms of aesthetic and gameplay. Mostly the theme just reeks of try-hard to me.

• Snowskeeper says:

I get your issue with the aesthetic. If it helps: Edmund doesn’t really strike me as a try-hard. Yeah, his sense of humour is gross and silly and childish and weird, but it seems genuine; he’s not just making the game the way it is as a way to get hits. Further, there’s _some_ amount of depth to it? All of the stuff we see in the Basement is coming from Isaac’s imagination, and it’s there in the first place because this is a semi-serious story about child abuse (I say “semi-serious” because any game where you shoot poop with tears to get coins is going to have a very hard time being serious about anything).

So to be clear: I’m not saying you’re wrong to be turned off by it. I sure as Hell was, up until the point where I bought the game and played it for a while. I still am, at times. It’s just not a case of the dev trying to be Edgy, as was the case with Hatred, for example, or some parts of GTA V.

The appeal of the gameplay is a little more difficult to explain. If you’ve watched any amount of gameplay footage, there isn’t really much more I can say about it. It feels a lot better than it looks, I guess.

• Ericusson says:

I never really took notice of the poop around theme.

I know it’s here and sometimes it strikes me a bit while playing but the game was just so good, specially at the time of the very first flash based initial release where it was a bit of a precursor of the rogue lite renewal.

I always read the harshest criticisms around christian values with some sprinkling of poop on the edges but most people I know who tried after having a weird reaction watching my screen really got into it except for a very harsh reaction about the religious theme.

Though I must say the added complexity of the extensions kinda made it lose some of its original appeal to me (along with the many hours saturation effect of’course).

6. ButteringSundays says:

“Afterbirth+ will cost $9.99, though for the first week after its January 3rd launch it’ll only be $6.66 for folks who already own Afterbirth.”

Is that Bermudan or Canadian dollars?

7. NailBombed says:

As if I needed an excuse to play more ISAAAAAAAAAAAAAC. Bring it on.

• Koshinator says:

Indeed – in fact I only recently started a new save file in order to unlock everything again (already have all the unlocks/achievements in my first save). Seeing this though, I might wait until the expansion drops before continuing.

• Jackablade says:

Man, I really, really didn’t need an incentive to go back again. My combined time adds up to almost 3 weeks. That’s probably enough hours.

8. Nerdy Suit says:

Eh, maybe I’m in the minority, but I’d much rather see a new Super Meatboy or a new IP rather than another Binding of Isaac.

• Snowskeeper says:

You might want to take a look at Edmund’s website (http://isisaacdead.tumblr.com; http://bindingofisaac.com will also work). Has more information than RPS’ posts do, and reports on more than just his work on Isaac. He’s been working on two new games for months, now, alongside both Afterbirth and Afterbirth+.

Also, Time Kufc is a thing, if you like puzzles.

9. FrenchTart says:

I’m really looking forward to the 67 new ites.

10. Synesthesia says:

Anyone know whatever happenned to the afterbirth expansion for 3ds?