The Behemoth’s Pit People fall into early access Jan 13th

The Behemoth, the gang best known for cheery beat ’em up Castle Crashers, have announced that their new game Pit People [official site] will hit Steam Early Access on January 13th, 2017. Pit People is an adventure across a weird apocalyptic wasteland, recruiting troops, finding loot, and fighting in hexy turn-based tactical battles. And yes, as The Behemoth are angels for always supporting, it will have co-op. Why early access? They want to be sure Pit People is balanced and polished when it properly launches, and hope players can help with that.

Here’s a blurb from The Behemoth:

“In our fast-paced, turn-based, co-op adventure you’ll quest and explore, find awesome loot, customize your fighters, and recruit strange species. Rally your troops and steel your wits if you hope to survive a hostile world filled with sinister robots, deadly vampires and brutally adorable cupcake people!”

And this new trailer shows what that looks like in action:

They do make pretty games, don’t they? Always nice and fun even as a battlefield becomes covered with blood and bones.

The Behemoth say that after holding beta tests and improving the game based on that feedback, “holding onto the game in its current state just feels weird.” They say that “The core gameplay is complete and we’ll be adding content until the full version is released.” It’ll start out with “a sizeable chunk” of the story mission and several world maps, playable in singleplayer or co-op, and the competitive Versus mode.

1. Stevostin says:

Never heard about Castle Crashers but Battleblock Theaters sure is the ultimate platform game in my book. Pit People sure has all the signature gimmicks to cheer me up.

• Kushiel says:

Similarly, Castle Crashers is the ultimate side-scrolling beat-em-up (in my book, anyway).

And Alien Hominid was probably my favorite side-scrolling shooter until Broforce came along.

2. Mecha_Rocky says:

Maybe I’m just getting old but I have such a tricksy time telling what’s going on animation-wise in Behemoth games, despite adoring their art style and liveliness.

AutonomyLost says:

I believe I watched Total Biscuit preview this a few months ago… pretty sure. Anyway, doesn’t matter; what matters is this looks sweet.

4. Seafoam says:

I’m considering getting this just to listen to Stamper’s lovely, lovely voice.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

There’s something about The Behemoth’s games that just turns me off. I think it has to do with them feeling like big budget Newgrounds games, which is not a coincidence.

6. April March says:

There are a lot of things in this game that seem built to short out my brain and make me scream MOAR, like the astronaut driving a 50’s car towards a Roman galley and the guy whose hair-beard flips around, but the game itself actually looks like an interesting, more frantic take on turn-based hex-based strategy.

Benratha says:

How about “Tux-based” strategy?
      Although that may conjure images of sitting in front of a computer in a dinner jacket, etc..

7. Phonetix says:

I’m far to miserable and old to enjoy this anymore. The trailer was like watching a trailer I would have made when I was 15. Man I was a dickk.