Parpy Christmas: Forza Horizon 3’s icy expansion out

Discover the true meaning of Christmas in the heartwarming first Forza Horizon 3 [official site] expansion. Blizzard Mountain, released yesterday, tells the tale of a group of cars jostling for love and attention from Santy Claus, racing across ice and snow to prove they’re better than any reindeer. Racing through new icy lands, a lineup of new trucks and cars will come to realise that Santa loves them all and that they should stop competing. The final race ends with the cars round a fire glugging marshmallow-laden cocoa into their radiators. Perfect. I’m welling up just thinking about it.

Microsoft’s official marketing downplays the festive side, mind, instead reeling off practical feature lists like:

“Conquer snow, ice, extreme elevations, and blizzards in your new campaign to become King of the Mountain. The Blizzard Mountain expansion adds eight new cars and trucks to the game including the 2016 Ford Focus RS RX GYMKHANA 9 Edition and a brand-new barn find car, as well as snow tire upgrades and thrilling new race modes like Hill Climb, Descent, and Blizzard Races, additional Bucket List Blueprints, Rivals events, Xbox Live Achievements, and much more!”

Blizzard Mountain costs £16.74 on its lonesome or comes in the Expansion Pass for £29.24 with a second, yet-unrevealed expansion. Yep, it’s still only on Windows 10 through the Windows Store.

Oh, in case you missed the news, Forza Horizon 3 does now have a Windows demo.

Anyway, merry Christmas, everycar:

From this site

1. KFee says:

Windows store lol, didn’t even know this was existing.

• xyzzy frobozz says:

There are plenty of other PC gaming websites you can take those sorts of comments to.

• Mrice says:

He could have phrased it better, but windows store exclusivity is probably going to be the reason i (and a lot of other people) dont buy the game. So it is worth being aware of.

• EvilMonkeyPL says:

Yeah, that.
          I really like previous Forzas but haven’t bought an XB1 yet. So like any sensible person I went looking for Horizon 3 on Steam, thinking I’d be able to buy it there, surely.
          Not there. On Windows Store.
          Welp, I guess I’ll wait.

• xyzzy frobozz says:

Ok, sorry for being snarky.

I’m just getting tired of the same old comments infecting every single gaming site.

It is what it is, lets just deal with it and move on.

2. Merus says:

When I heard Forza Horizon 3 was doing a winter-themed area, I wondered where in Australia they were planning to base it on, given Australia doesn’t really have snow in the way that people in the Northern hemisphere expect. Somehow I never considered they might just make up a place.

• xyzzy frobozz says:

Or they could just base it on an actual place in Australia called “the Snowy Mountains”?

link to en.m.wikipedia.org

• Sleepy Will says:

The Snowy Mountains, known informally as “The Snowies”

Oh Australia, we love you so very much, never change

• Merus says:

I can assure you that nowhere around the Snowy Mountains has a frozen lake like the one depicted in the trailer, or any of the big Rockies-style peaks on the horizon in the trailer.

• Henas says:

It does not get cold enough to freeze lakes here, nor are there lakes at high enough altitude for this to happen. They could have set the ice and snow stuff in New Zealand.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Those don’t look like the Rockies. They’re too old. The Rocky Mountains are a spry young mountain range.

link to google.ca

• xyzzy frobozz says:

Sure.

But most of Australia doesn’t look like Forza Horizon either.

It’s a stylised version of Australia filled with annoying sylised people with stylised Australian accents.

3. peterako1989 says:

Please, bring this to steam! :(

4. maphisto2000 says:

It would appear my £80+ ULTIMATE edition doesn’t include the expansion pass. I guess I should have waited for the SUPREME ULTIMATE MEGA EXCLUSIVE GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION.

5. Skid says:

Still doesn’t support the Logitech Driving Force GT, a fairly common wheel. So I’m still not going to buy it, to be fair given they Apex 2 apparently still doesn’t support this wheel ether I doubt Horizons ever will.

• UncleLou says:

I have the same wheel, and it’s annoying how it has been phased out by Sony themselves (it doesn’t work on the PS4), and by Microsoft (probably because it’s Sony-branded). It’s one console-generation old, ffs, am I supposed to buy a new wheel every few years?

That said, FH3 is amazing with a pad, especially with an Xbox One pad. The “different surfaces” feedback with the pad is better than anything I’ve ever experienced with my wheel.

6. Chris Evans says:

On the one hand, I haven’t had any problems with purchasing the game on the Windows 10 store (Black Friday deal), and it generally seems to be up to date whenever I want to play it.

The trouble comes with the system requirements (horrendously high) and generally poor optimisation. It doesn’t help that after a recent patch, the game crashes to desktop on a fairly regular basis. And judging by comments on the official forums, I’m not the only one to suffer with CTDs.

Good game, poor PC support.

• UncleLou says:

I wouldn’t say the hardware requirements are horrendously high, not for what the game delivers in terms of graphics, phyiscs and the huge, open map with no loading times.

Bear in mind, the Xbox One verison only runs with 30 fps, which, from what I’ve heard, isn’t difficult to achieve on the PC even for comparatively modest systems.

(Haven’t had any crashes myself, but that’s shit, of course).