Tales of Berseria getting demo in January before release

Bandai Namco’s long-running Tales series of RPGs has avoided PCs for most of its life but they’ve recently started bringing both old and new Tales games our way. The PC version of Tales of Berseria [official site] will launch on the same day of its console counterpart, January 27th, and we’ll even be treated to a demo before then. Look for that on January 10th, Bamco have announced. While they are getting better at this ‘PC gaming’ malarkey, their ports can be still wonky so good, that’s good to hear. Here, come have a gander at Berseria in a new trailer.

While the game will give players the option to hear the original Japanese voices, this here trailer shows off the PC version running with English voices. Oh, and Bamco do warn it contains spoilers:

Er, if you need an official explanation of what you’re seeing there:

“In Tales of Berseria, players embark on a journey of self-discovery as they assume the role of Velvet, a young woman whose once kind demeanor has been replaced and overcome with a festering anger and hatred after a traumatic experience three years prior to the events within Tales of Berseria. Velvet will join a crew of pirates as they sail across the sea and visit the many islands that make up the sacred kingdom of Midgand in an all-new adventure developed by the celebrated team behind the Tales of series.”

Apparently that trailer also reveals a change to one scene, toned down from the Japanese version. Following one of those there Internet kerfuffles, Bamco have said:

“The violence depicted in the original Japanese scene in Tales of Berseria would not allow us to keep our current 16 rating. A major change in our rating wouldn’t have allowed to share the game with as many fans as we’d like and it would have prevented us many opportunities to show the game on social networks, websites and even during events. Therefore, instead of deleting the sequence, we decided to rework a portion of the scene to keep its importance in the story. We’ve ensured its impact in the story is the same. Even if the exact actions are different, their consequences are exactly the same: the defining moment changing Velvet’s Story and opposing her to Arthur Collbrande, the moment it becomes a tale of emotions versus reason. We made this modification out of necessity, be sure of that.”

But don’t worry, gang, they still insist they won’t “censor” Velvet’s outfit.

Tales of Berseria will cost £39.99/49,99€/$49.99 when it hits Steam.

From this site

1. Pich says:

Ptretty neat to have a demo these days, i’ve been looking forward to this game for a while and i can see if it’ll run on my PC (knowing KT previous pc ports). Also i like her outfit :(

2. Nymera says:

That outfit is…something else.

3. Creeping Death says:

Tales of Zestiria was the best experience with a JRPG I’ve had in a very VERY long time, so I’m quite looking forward to Berseria in the new year.

I do utterly despise the main characters design though. It’s just fucking stupid and makes me want to cave my own head in against the wall. It’s especially jarring when you compare it to Zestiria’s characters which, while still being ridiculously anime, at least wore decent clothing.

• nandio says:

Have you tried some of the older Tales games? I often see people only having played one but most of them have aged very well and as they all roughly follow the same formula you could get a lot of Tales-y enjoyment out of them.

4. Eight Rooks says:

Hmm, I’ll still give it a shot if I can, but the English dub for Zestiria sounded better, IMO. The voices for the ladies felt more… natural than this, which seems to stray too much into regular anime histrionics and over-enunciating/over-emphasising things.

(Though obligatory bitching about how I couldn’t beat Zestiria’s final boss, god damn you Bamco and your terrible combat tutorials, god damn yoooooooooou :ahem: )

5. Ben 'O' War says:

The fuck was going on there? All I can think of now is playing Dark Souls.

6. RedDragon says:

Does the “hits steam” link just take you back to the article for anyone else?

DantronLesotho says:

Tales games always deliver for me, even if they aren’t the best thing in the world (I’m looking at you, Vesperia). This has me excited!

• Ben 'O' War says:

Vesperia is the only one I’ve played. I liked Raven, he struck me as a hilarious Bruce Campbell rogue type. “All my heart baby, all my love”. This is all I actually remember about the game now that I think about it.

Benratha says:

I’m waiting for the much-maligned prologue chapter “Tales of Wisteria”.
    It’s when a purple-flowered hanging plant gains sentience and attempts to take over the world.

9. Skandranon says:

I’m scratching my head on the violence part – I swear I’ve seen much worse on that same level of ratings.