For Honor story trailer justifies vikings, samurai, knights

I like Ubisoft’s obsessive need to cram story into everything, not because their stories are good, but because their stories are required to justify some pretty odd concepts. For Honor [official site] pits vikings against samurai against knights in a game primarily designed for multiplayer melee, but of course there’s a singleplayer and co-operative story mode which tells the story of how these various blade-fanciers came to fight one another. There’s a trailer below.

I’d have thought that there was simply an innate dislike between the three groups, or perhaps a pub disagreement about whether swords or axes were better at cleaving a man’s head in two, but no. It turns out they were all tricked by a lady obsessed with creating perpetual war? She’s called Apollyon – which means destroyer in Greek, Wikipedia fans – and she is well angry. While trying to stop her, you’ll hop between characters from all three factions, with promises of both “massive battles” and “intense duels” against bosses.

We’ve yet to try the singleplayer, but Alec had a good time with the multiplayer when he played it a couple of months back. It has you fighting other players, mobs of NPCs and has perhaps too great a focus on unlocks, but Alec ultimately enjoyed its swordplay:

“As for the fighting, inevitably we’re not in reticulesas any more. This is a game about timing and blocking, not aiming. The idea For Honor’s come up with is that you can hold your weapon in one of three directions – left, right, above – in order both to block which angle you think an attack is coming from, and to ensure your own hit connects rather than bounces right off the enemy’s blade with yer classic clang or donk sound effect.”

If that sounds like a good time, you can sign up to a closed beta due to launch in January. The full game is due for release on February 14th 2017.

1. Turkey says:

I can’t believe they gave this more reasonable lore than the AssCreed series.

2. inspiredhandle says:

Rock Paper Scissors blocking/attacking? No thanks. Why can’t we get more innovative melee combat like Exanima n such?

• Narmeru says:

Combat is actually much more complex than what you describe.

You do have three stances (right, left & top) but you also have to manage strength, stamina, reach, guard breaks, grapples, terrain, weapon specialities, potential multiple enemies etc. On top of that you need to take into account a host of tactical and strategic parameters that will influence how, when and where you fight.

• inspiredhandle says:

I think what I mean is; does combat have a physicality to it? It’s hard to describe what I mean by that. My yardstick for melee combat a few years ago would have been chivalry (before all the windmilling), but after seeing the possibilities of frantic/drunken physics based combat in Exanima, I don’t think I can go back to predetermined damage attacks. It seems so arcadey.

Having 3 set points to block/attack seems a bit confined and artificial, even if it does synergise really well with other deep and complex game systems. I might be completely wrong by making all sorts of unfounded assumptions here. I’ll look into it further when I get home (don’t wanna waste data on trailers etc).

I haven’t explained myself very well. Hopefully this makes some sort of sense. :-/

• Darth Gangrel says:

I don’t know if it’s a trend, but it seems like there are some upcoming games that finally understands the importance of melee combat in singleplayer games. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the one I most of all look forward to, but For Honor also seems good.

I got Mount and Blade for free on GoG and have heard people talk about Mount and Blade: Warband when talking about melee games. I personally hold Dark Messiah as the best melee game, but am happy to hear other suggestions. Exanima is still Early Access, so I’ll wait until it’s properly released.

3. jasta85 says:

So, has this angry greek lady been around for the generations that this conflict has been happening? Or did the original angry greek lady have angry daughters that decided to continue the family tradition or something?

• mechavolt says:

Spoilers: The war only took place for a single afternoon at the school playground.

4. alh_p says:

Good grief, what an excrescence.

5. Freud says:

It’s obviously some Westworld inspired sword clanking theme park.

6. Chaoslord AJ says:

Maybe the fighting is good if it has limb-cutting and persistent corpses and deadliness though as Ubi is king of casual I can hardly expect Souls-like “intense” boss-fights. In Far Cry Primal I just had a bunch of bullet sponges for example.

7. vecordae says:

Out of curiosity, is the combat more engaging than in Mount & Blade? It looks like Skyrim had a grimdark baby with an M&B mod and now I’m worried it’s combat is more in line with the former than the latter.

8. SaintAn says:

Shame it’s an always online game. Looks like something I might have enjoyed.

9. Norbert says:

Can’t wait enough for this game. It’s gonna be the new titanfall 2 with swords and axes.

10. tonicer says:

lulz ubisoft … noone should buy games they publish … they don’t have a good trackrecord.

Also HEMA > all.

11. Pinga says:

Sadly it’s already ruined by always online singleplayer.

12. goodpoints says:

Can’t wait for the DLC that adds Saxons to the Viking team.

tagline: “…AND MY SEAX!”