A first peek at Full Throttle Remastered, a bit late

Reader dearest, I fall upon my sword before you. I hurl myself upon it. I take a running start and leap upon my sword. Through the teeth and past the gums, look out guts here it comes and I’m split from the skull down, intestines and shame and regret and apologies spill steaming upon the ground, dissolving into putrid black mucus the cold earth swallows to fester and feed the blooms of so many future mistakes.

Dearest reader o reader dear, while I was off tromping around lochs on my hols earlier this month, Double Fine shared a trailer peeking at Full Throttle Remastered [official site] and it’s taken me this long to notice. THE SHAME.

Full Throttle Remastered is a revamp of the 1995 LucasArts adventure game, which Double Fine head honch Tim Schafer directed back when he was pals with Captain Skywalker. Double Fine have redrawn (and rerendered) the graphics, remastered the sound and music, built a new user interface, and added a commentary track. It’ll also offer the option to mix-and-match the remastered and original art and whatnot if you want. Beneath that, it’s still the same Full Throttle warts and all.

Yes, some puzzles are dull and the combat is terrible, but I do still like its weird almost-post-apocalyptic world of tough bikers and big bikes, not to mention the relationship at its heart. Honestly, I think I’ll play it with the original art. I don’t feel nostalgic pangs for pixel art (pre-3dfx 3D is my bag, obvs) but, as in Day of the Tentacle Remastered, the smooth lines look worse to me.

Hey, it’ll be good to have Full Throttle sold far and wide again. It’s due in 2017.

From this site

1. Ghostwise says:

You might want to put some antiseptic on that disembowelling wound. Cleanliness and goodliness, heh ?

2. crummy says:

I’m not putting my lips on that.

3. ZippyLemon says:

For a second there, I thought the moment was upon us…

I thought more Venture Bros was here.

4. Landiss says:

Shame on you indeed!

However, there is a way to redeem yourself. There is always a way and here the way is to make a video comparing original graphics vs. remastered. Seriously, would be nice. Maybe even someone in the internet have already done it? Oh hey, someone did it in still pictures:

link to adventuregamers.com

You still have a chance to make a video out of it.

To be honest, the new graphics look a little meh. I have a feeling they are at the same time too detailed and not detailed enough. On some screens it looks like something created in paint or even inkscape. And not in a good sense. Especially this scene is just horrible:
    link to i63.tinypic.com

The scene at the bar looks much better though:
    link to i63.tinypic.com

I have a feeling that’s because they added a lot of details that just were not there in the original, so it doesn’t feel that empty and superclean as the previous example.

• Shadow says:

Not sure what the beef is against the remastered graphics. It’s basically the same drawings unencumbered by tiny resolutions. The revamping of otherwise proto-3D bike sequences is particularly welcome, as they were quite jarring in the original.

Anyway, perhaps the low-res adds some mystical effect for some, but for me the remastered art is how the game would’ve looked like even back then if there had been no technical restrictions.

Also, to Alice, “dystopian” is likely the term you’re looking for to describe Full Throttle’s world. I also found it quite intriguing, and it’s a shame it wasn’t really developed beyond the single game that used it. The two cancelled sequels could’ve expanded on it, but as far as I’ve read their plots seemed largely a rehash of the original Full Throttle, reusing much of the same themes and tropes.

• Landiss says:

Well, perhaps my point is that if the original art was drawn in higher resolution, it would be drawn differently, not just the same way, but with less jagged lines.

And, as you can see in the example I show from the bar, the new version in this case is drawn differently, with a lots of detail added, because the original just was too cramped. However, the second screenshot shows a close up on characters, which allowed the original to show as much detail as they wanted. Now in the higher resolution there are no more details added, just the lines are straightened up. Maybe it’s just me, but it looks odd and out of place, at least on the screenshot.

• Shadow says:

The main addition of detail comes from widening the frame, therefore showing more of the environment. The art itself is the same, extension and smoothing aside. Just because resolution isn’t a constraint now doesn’t mean extra detail should be crammed everywhere. The game has a certain art style and it’s fine that they stick with it.

• Landiss says:

Please check the pictures I’m talking about again. I’m not talking about new parts on the sides (as that is obviously the same in both examples). Compare the tattoo one of the bikers in the bar has. In original it’s simple “p”, in the remastered version it’s much more elaborate. Also there are more details in the faces. On the other hand, compare trousers of the main character in the same scene. In original, the shading is very ragged, the remastered edition have clear lines. That part I don’t like, makes him look plastic. Then again, the trousers, belt and boots of the black guy next to him are much better in the remastered edition, they have again more details and better shading. Imagine how it would look if they simply smoothed the lines there and didn’t add all those details.

5. Blackrook says:

Not with my box of bunnies!

• GeoX says:

And then, inevitably, someone must say: that’s not one of meat’s many uses.

6. Ninja Dodo says:

2PP had a neat mini-feature on it, via IGN: link to ign.com

7. apa says:

Hope they remastered the bike fighting scene, I could not win that anymore on ScummVM (too fast…). I like the remastered graphics: now it looks like how I remember it – not 320×200. You didn’t really have a lot of details with that res.

8. greywolfe says:

i understand that i’m going to be the weird, odd man out here, but…

…i’d like the original version sold alongside this one.

now, before you go BUT YOU CAN HAVE THAT, hear me out:

the original version was written for original hardware and people have spent the last twenty-odd years emulating that hardware and have worked out a lot of the bad problems that might have existed via fan patches and the like.

this remaster /might/ introduce new problems that double fine might not fix.

i had a very mild conversation with him about this once on twitter [about grim fandango] and he just shrugged.

ah well. i’m glad i’m not a tim fanboy anymore :P

• somnolentsurfer says:

If I were determined to play the original versions, I’d feel no shame in pirating them to emulate after I’d bought them in the only versions currently available. It’s not a lost sale if they won’t sell what customers want. Except, I own all the original versions anyway, of course.

9. Michael Fogg says:

The population has sharply decreased
    And my chances have highly increased
    Any day now baby, to kiss your lips
    I thank the Lord each day
    For the Apocalypse
    Yode-le-lee-hoo!

10. Shazbut says:

Smells like Psychonauts 2 needs some more funding

• Ninja Dodo says:

You guys are still whining about Double Fine funding, really? Maybe give the disgruntled gamer thing a rest… it’s getting old.

• Shazbut says:

I’m not whining or disgruntled, I just think that’s what they’re doing. I don’t even think it’s a bad thing

• somnolentsurfer says:

Not that this is something people have been asking for for years, and they’ve finally managed to secure the rights to do it?

• Shazbut says:

If people have been asking for years for someone to smooth out the pixels in Full Throttle so they can finally pay money for it again, then fine, but Double Fine are choosing a conspicuous time to plant that money tree if so.

• DelrueOfDetroit says:

Both games were announced literally 2 days apart from one another.

• Ninja Dodo says:

Also, wasn’t Full Throttle, like Grim Fandango, completely unavailable anywhere (legally) until the remaster? Just preserving it as part of gaming history is great, the new art and commentary are a bonus. Happy to pay for that, personally… and if it helps fund their other games, all the better!

11. Booker says:

It’s too bad Schaefer didn’t work on Indiana Jones 4 Fate of Atlantis, I’d love a remake of that and would prefer it over FT by… a lot. Full Throttle is just an okay game. Hardly one of the best of the LA era. Indy 4 is so much better than FT, The Dig is so so so much better than FT. Even a Sam & Max remaster would interest me much more.

• Shazbut says:

Funny how opinions differ. I think FT is the best Lucasarts adventure after Grim and Monkey 1 and 2.

I only remember 2 things about The Dig: the beginning, and the bit where someone gets an arm sawn off.

syllopsium says:

I’m not seeing the issue with the graphics. The DOTT remaster looked good, but the animation was jerky, a small amount of detail was lost, and they changed sound effects that did not need to be changed.

I need to play Full Throttle again, perhaps, but from memory the remaster looks close to the original and definitely smooth enough.

Hell, this time we might actually see detail with the army of landmine destroying toy bunnies..