Have You Played… Rainbow Six Siege?

I mourned for Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege. The multiplayer first-person shooter launched amid stories of low sales and low player counts, but it was so, so good. Thank goodness the audience found it eventually.

Siege’s great trick is that its buildings are destructible. Not in that Battlefield, ‘it’ll fall down eventually’ way. But in the granular way of a John Woo movie; bullets rip holes in walls, doors, ceilings, almost any surface, discouraging camping and creating new angles of attack.

This makes your tactical maneuvers extremely tense. You’ll hear footsteps on the floor above you in some American house and know two things: one, locate that enemy and you can shoot them from below, straight through the floor; two, that another enemy might already be peeking at you through some unseen gap in the world’s geometry, about to take you out. So you’ll creep everywhere, work together as a team, and use each class’s particular gadgetry to protect yourself and hunt your enemies.

Siege isn’t a throwback to the beloved days of Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear or even Rainbow Six Vegas, but it is a smart, modern, multiplayer game which captures some of the same great feelings.

From this site

1. Xenotone says:

The other night I was teamed up with my friend who’d never played it before. Bullets came through the wall so he instinctively turned and fired straight back through without any idea where the enemy was. He got a head shot and was immediately branded a cheat. Good times.

• TheRaptorFence says:

It’s an unfortunate-yet-commonplace scenario that occurs. The rampant cheating and accusations of cheating turned me off after 200+ hours. Even though the gameplay was tight and fun as a multiplayer shooter, slogging through games without knowing who was and wasn’t hacking became a tired cliche.

I haven’t returned since they implemented BattlEye, but the experiences left a sour taste in my mouth. Since Overwatch released, I haven’t needed or wanted to go back.

DoubleG says:

As somebody who has played both before and after BattlEye it’s like night and day — I haven’t seen anybody that was obviously cheating since they added competent cheat detection.

Accusations of cheating when somebody loses, though, isn’t going anywhere. That’s as old as the internet itself.

• CMaster says:

Battleye has got rid of the most blatant cheating. There’s still the occasional time where you wonder how they knew just where you were – but there are so many giveaways, combined with just speculative shooting that you never know.

• Ksempac says:

Back before BattleEye, cheating was indeed an issue. Me and the various people i play with would meet some very suspicious people, as well as clear obvious cheaters and togglers.

Ever since BattleEye 6 months ago ? I have seen one cheater, and he was a low level during a free weekend (ie, likely to get banned soon).

And i draw that feeling from quite a lot of data, I have about 450h on the game since April

2. CMaster says:

Yes. Lots.

It’s great. Fascinating combo of slow-slow-slow-FAST-slow-slow-FAST gameplay.

You’ll spend most of the round trying to figure out where the enemy are and where they might not expect you to be, Then fractions of a second normally in furious combat.

There’s a good few RPS players out there. If you want to join some of us, head to the RPS Discord (can’t link it here as spam bot hates it, see the Social Clubs forum). And ask for @R6Siege .

• flashlight_eyes says:

are you all EU or do you have some amerifats among you?

• Ksempac says:

AFAIK, only EU so far, but since the @R6Siege is growing and is starting to get regular games in, we might end up with more regional diversity if the trend continues

3. Ksempac says:

Game of the year for me, as well as the best multiplayer FPS i’ve played in many years. Very unique and so satisfying to play.

I strongly advise anyone interested in FPS to at least try it. Maybe you will not like it, and that’s fine, but at least you should see how it has such a unique rhythm and gameplay

4. Koozer says:

This is one of those games that I really wish I was good enough at to properly enjoy. Sure smashing through walls with Sledge never gets old, but I wish I was more useful…

• AYZON says:

Well, look at the bright side, your teammates will have someone to blame each round if stuff goes south. So youre effectively helping to keep the team together.

• wxid says:

Definitely agree with this. I played a lot of the beta and enjoyed it – and I normally can’t stand competitive multiplayer games. But I was under no illusions I was good enough by the end to actually support a properly working team, so didn’t buy the full game.

• TheSplund says:

I’d say buy it for the Terrorist Hunt if so. I checked my stats and it says that 210 of the 235 hrs that Uplay reckons I’ve played (Steam says 355) has been TH. A lot of that has been with a mate in 2 player LAN co-op trying to nail every level/style in the hardest setting, but solo TH (or TH with a 5 man team on-line) has a lot less responsibility pinned on your shoulders. The 5v5 MP is good though

• Frosty_2.0 says:

Co-op Terrorist Hunt was what I was most interested in (and some solo skirmishing) so it’s good to hear that comment.
          I might pick it up if there are plenty of T-Hunt players active & reasonably friendly.

Is there some sort of match-making for Co-op or is it server browser w/difficulty-settings?

• CMaster says:

I’d say THunt really isn’t that interesting. AI is pretty basic, maps are built for Versus, infinite spawning is pretty bullshit, tools are kinda limited. Just play more SWAT4 or old R6 games.

• Frosty_2.0 says:

Well both Rainbow Six: Vegases had similar problems but T-Hunt was still really fun as a fast TTK actiony shooter. The spawning was utter bull in T-Hunt but also helped the tension.

I could see the AI would not be great with the destructibility & Operator abilities though, perhaps reducing the need/enjoyment of players actually using those abilities as well?

5. Byrnghaer says:

No. I saw the gameplay videos and that was more than enough to crush my soul once more. The king is dead. Long live the king!

6. walrus1 says:

There hasn’t been a Rainbow Six game since Raven Sheild. I wish I could hope for a Rainbow Six game but I doubt we’ll even get another one. Siege has zip zero to do with Rainbow Six.

• David Mitchell says:

Couldn’t agree more. I could go on about how we miss the old 3D-maps, pre-insertion planning stages and general “simulation” style that was murdered (along with Mr Clancy himself?), but you summed it up perfectly, well said.

7. Avus says:

R6S currently is my most played FPS but definitely not worth $60USD. I highly recommend to buy the “Starter Edition”. Starter Edition is a lot cheaper ($20USD), start with less unlocked characters (4) and need more in game currency to unlock stuff (characters, gun addons…). Yes, the Start Edition need to you “grind” more, but grind in R6S is just play the game (basically PvP or coop mission) more. It is not like doing stupid sh!t like fishing, collect gem and stuff. So i have no problem to grind more instead paying more. Season Pass is just let you to play the new characters sooner and get more ingame currency. Start Edition also give you the full content like new characters and maps only little later and need more “grind” to unlock them.

It is no original R6 but it is still play a lot different than BF and CoD, And it is still fun to play it and definitely worth $20 USD

8. MataDor says:

This is the best FPS game in years. I haven’t had so much fun in multiplayer game since time I have discovered Red Orchestra. Gameplay is so so rewarding.

9. Micky Nozawa says:

I really would like to be able to enjoy this game but I just can’t get past all the tacticool nonsense (characters constantly wearing gas masks even though there’s no gas in sight…) and silly weapon skins that’s unfortunately become the trend now. I don’t even mind that’s it’s multiplayer only, as much as I would’ve preferred a proper single player game.

10. rocketman71 says:

What a pity that this is distributed by Ubi and needs their UShit ‘software’ (so I don’t have to call it anything else). They’re the worst.

After EA, of course.

11. TheRealHankHill says:

Have they fixed the HILARIOUSLY bad peekers advantage/lag compensation? No? Then I’m not playing it. Great game otherwise utterly broken by that.