Welcome to Pip’s Astroneer base!

Astroneer

Astroneer [official site] is so lovely. It’s a really pretty game with this fondness of geometry and at the moment, in its early access phase, it’s forgiving enough that I can potter in my sleep-deprived state without getting confused. There are also ace caves to explore and weird plants and ribcages and hostile fungi to find. To explain what I’ve been up to in the last day or so I’ve made a video explaining some basics and showcasing my base!

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Can we get a “Pipstroneer” tag for Pip-Astroneer posts?

2. Fomorian1988 says:

I hope we get more of those every time Pip gets into a survival/crafting game with base building option. Those videos are just delightful.

3. Quite So says:

Exactly what I was hoping to see. Love the Pip-thusiasm!

Might have to get this soon. I was vacillating on buying this game in EA, but it’s definitely in my wheelhouse.

4. AutonomyLost says:

That’s a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

In all seriousness, it’s interesting to hear the voices behind the words sometimes. The other day Alec posted a couple videos where his voice can be heard and I was like “huh, that’s how he sounds talking”. It’s in the same vein as finally seeing what a radio personality looks like, only much less displeasing. I generally avoid doing that at all costs, lest my imagination be (almost always) disappointed.

Also, the game genuinely appears delightful and appealing. I have quite enough to play at the moment, so may wait for it to emerge victoriously from Early Access before I pick it up.

P.s. wasn’t kidding regarding the accent; you sound quite kind, Pip. Good video.

• Layabout says:

Blimey! New Jersey? I’m guessing Pip is from Bath in the UK. Those accents couldn’t be more different but then I’m from the UK so could easily see that :-)

OK I cheated. Based on the Crate and Crowbar podcast I have made an educated guess that Pip is from there furthermore based upon the local of the other C&C contributors, who are from Bath. Pip’s accent is a non-localised accent and is more UK-educated if anything so could be from anywhere within the UK. I am so drunk there is no way I would have posted this blathering on otherwise.

Philippa Warr says:

Fun fact: I’m actually from Kent. I have one of those mostly non-specific Southern accents but there are a few markers which are more South-Eastern if you’re looking for them and maybe are also an armchair linguist. One is a tendency to pronounce sounds like the “l” bit of “milk” as more of a “w” sound, so “miwk”.

This fact may have been more fun in my head!

• poliovaccine says:

Pretty sure that New Jersey bit is a phenomenon I’ve seen before – I think they call it a “joke?”

• Person of Interest says:

Yes, the RPS writers are also great to listen to! Graham put together a lovely recorded reading a while back for Wurm Online, and Alice does a mean spiritual forecast.

I know the RPS staff sometimes do podcasts, but the extended freeform discussions don’t hold my attention for long. These shorter clips are delightful.

5. Faldrath says:

Pip does show a playfulness and a delicateness that I almost envy, I rarely get so fascinated by games these days.

• thedosbox says:

Yep, I don’t do early access games, but this has made it to my wish list based on Pip’s enthusiasm.

6. Jeremy says:

I felt like I was watching an ASMR video, in the most positive possible way. This game seems very relaxing.

7. Ckrauser says:

:O how on earth do you get such smooth ramps? Maybe it’s a patience issue or lack of artistry but it seems whenever I try to do ramps I’m fighting with the smoothing tool non-stop and it all ends up looking very ugly.

Philippa Warr says:

If it helps, I tend to go for really gentle slopes rather than steep ones and I hold down CTRL and go over the same area for a while as that seems to help iron out lumps and bumps. It does make the whole thing take longer, but I’m happy to tinker with things like that. If you play differently it might be the sort of faffing that drives you crackers!

• Ckrauser says:

I think I may just not have the hand control for that sort of thing, or perhaps because I use a – I know it’s a dirty word around these parts – controller and it doesn’t provide the same amount of finesse haha. Also a side note, as a Canadian this site’s British slang and mannerisms cracks me up and is probably another reason I come here other than for game related stuff. Looking forward to the next video!

• Zombat says:

I was having the same problem when using a 360 controller, the smoothing tool would randomly do odd things.

Using a kb+m though and it worked a lot better

8. heretic says:

Really nice video! Miss these short clips explaining games, you guys should definitely do more of these if you have time.

9. Zorn says:

I just wanted to drop by and say, that I found this video very soothing. I am fighting anxiety and panic attacks at the moment and have a difficult time finding the right kind of diversion in the evening, and this was unexpectedly comforting.

Also, I may just be on the verge to getting Astroneer myself now. ^_^

tigerfort says:

Hurrah for Pip! That was delightful, and very soothing. Up with this sort of thing, as often as you have the time for it, please :)

11. clive dunn says:

I’m another one of those ‘never access early’ types but out of sheer boredom with everything else I got Astroneer and have been glued to it for the past week. It’s so relaxing, has simple mechanics, nice physics, really really nice music and just enough to do to keep me returning.
    There have been nearly daily updates, mostly tweaking things rather than content but feels like this game is going to be a classic eventually.
    There is a fair few bugs and glitches (for a lot of people game-breaking) but the only glitch I’ve had was my truck turning into a spasmy deathtrap which meant every time I went near it, it would propel me hundreds of meters underground. I’m hoping I will eventually mine into these deep caves where my corpses lie in a pile and give them a proper funeral.

Solrax says:

Pip’s video sold me on Subnautica (which is my favorite game of the year so far), and now I think she sold me Astroneer. Her videos are delightful!

Benratha says:

Just lovely!
    Thanks for the words & video Pip!

14. Zombat says:

Mala-kite?
    Is that how its pronounced? I’ve been saying Mala-shite for years!