Steam Charts: That’s A Wrap

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. It’s THE mosssssssst wonderful tiiiiiiiiiiiime ahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I wish I had a machinegun ho ho ho ahahaha, get stuffed 2016.

1. Grand Theft Auto V

The celebrity death that hit hardest this year was Bowie. I am well aware that there is no novelty to saying this, but such was the splendour of the man’s music that it always felt so personal even when millions were listening to it. Bowie seemed like a constant. From singing along to space oddity on the way to school to in the late 80s to how embarrassing his Britpop-meets-jungle 90s comeback was, to how he looped back into credibility and importance during his post-Reality hiatus, Bowie was always around. It remains so difficult to adjust to a reality without him. The songs remain, somehow with more vitality than ever.

2. Astroneer

Always nice to see a new entry that hasn’t been advertised on bus stops. Almost inevitably, it’s a building and survival game that’s in early access, as this is what The Infinite Thirst Of Modern PC Gamers seems to demand. I’ve heard the No Man’s Sky comparisons – fair enough, as both share resource-harvesting across proc-gen worlds, though I would have words with anyone who claims this looks even faintly as pretty. (Disclaimer: I did some writing for No Man’s Sky. Please seek others’ visual comparisons between it and Astroneer if this concerns you). That aside, we’re pretty keen on Astroneer – Oor Grahamy even claims that “Astroneer is the most promising and confident base for a game of this type I’ve seen in a long time.”

3. Planet Coaster

Seems like a Christmas game somehow, doesn’t it? Or maybe I’m just saying that because I once visited Universal Studios Florida mere days before Christmas. In any case, I am totally cool with Frontier’s roller coaster builder being the PC success story of December 2016. Its innocence is a much-needed counter to all that murder.

4. H1Z1: King of the Kill

Daybreak’s battle royaley spin-off of what was initially intended to be a slice of DayZ mania makes an unexpected return to the charts because of, no surprise, a sale. It was a mere ten bucks for a chunk of last week, which created enough critical mass to bring it back. Ten months on from release, Steam reviews are still “mixed”, but jeez, what does that even mean anymore?

ALSO I only just realised this was called King Of The Kill, not King Of The Hill. Do you see what they did there?

5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

For credibility’s sake I want to claim that the celebrity death which hit me next-hardest was Leonard Cohen, but that simply isn’t the case. I have long adored Leonard, but for years his death has seemed like something that could happen any day now. There was no shock to it, only sadness – and gratitude that, right up until almost the moment of his passing, he was still releasing superior albums. The reality is that, after Bowie, it was Victoria Wood’s passing which hit me hardest.

Another figure who had always seemed to be there, someone of boundless warmth wrapped in no less necessary world-weariness. Never the height of humour, for me, but very much the truth of it – the absurdities, big and small, of the British condition, fondness and cynicism all at once. A voice I took for granted shockingly extinguished. When I think about human society moving increasingly into darkness – fear and hate and anger and rejection – in 2016, I think too of how there don’t seem to be anything like enough warm, Woodish voices any more.

6. Just Cause 3

One of those games that I suspect is on many people’s wish-lists but they won’t commit to until the price is right. A certain sense that they already know exactly what it is, or consider its whirlwind of easy explosions somewhat throwaway, perhaps? I must admit, it’s one of those games I just play for a bit, with absolute zero intention of ever seeing all of it. It’s about the moment to moment experience, not any kind of end point. A big fat sale pushed this down to a truly bargainous $15. Now this feels like a Christmas game too – brainless but comic excess, silliness and slickness all at once. If I didn’t have a kid to entertain, I can well imagine myself playing six straight hours of this on Boxing Day.

7. Star Wars Collection

Gee, I wonder why? Massively discounted from $99 to $23 in order to cash in on Rogue One hype, this bundle of KOTORs and Jedi Knights and Force Unleasheds and Empires At War and good ol’ Republic Commando and a whole bunch more clearly presses a lot of the same nostalgia pressure points as the spectacular but soulless new movie does.

I genuinely expected Rogue One to be a triumph (AT-ATs!), free as it was from the finger-waggling prophecy wibble of the mainline movies and able to focus on outright interstellar war, but sadly it’s been edited to within an inch of its life, so it feels less like a film and more a collection of scenes stitched together. It looked great, but it was impossible to feel anything for those empty characters, their dialogue reduced to single lines of exposition clipped awkwardly out of larger conversations.

8. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI

Then it’s Alan Rickman. Another voice – and face too – that seemed ever-present, like a fact of existence rather than just one more mortal human within it. Powerfully charismatic even for his most imperious or cruel characters, and for a time a certain seal of personality and sanity in otherwise insipid blockbusters. I guess I presumed that, for the rest of my own life, I’d be able to say “well, I don’t know anything about it, but it’s got Alan Rickman in it so it’s worth a watch.”

9. Space Hulk: Deathwing

Pretty good going to scrape a place in the charts, in this month of big releases and deep discounts. This is a case in point for why many games firms don’t like early reviews: there was enough built-up anticipation for a glossy Warhammer 40,000 shooter that it was able to outweigh a complete lack of pre-release critique and even the harbinger of doom that is the last-minute release date delay.

Post-release, the response has been broadly underwhelmed (I thought singleplayer was tedious, but co-op was a good time, albeit perhaps only briefly so) and I’ll be very surprised if this is still here next week.

10. Tom Clancy’s The Division

It’s been Ubisoft’s year, but quietly so. I don’t know that they’ve smashed it out the park, but this and Rainbow Six Siege are always hanging around, always coming back, back, back. The ‘living’ shooter is a business model that can really pay off – big updates and free weekends and all that jazz ensuring a long tail that more contained games can only dream of. That said, I just bet we’ll see Watch Dogs popping back a few times next year, as mostly good word of mouth spreads, and discounts finally prompt people to take a chance on the sequel to a damp squib of a first game.

And that’s it – the last chart of 2016. I mean, there will be more data released next week, but it’s my Mum’s birthday so I’ll need to spend the day talking her through how to use Skype so her grand-daughter can sing a cracked rendition of happy birthday at her.

Back again in January. Out with the old in with the new in 2017, eh? Oh, who the hell am I kidding – another year of GTA V and CSGO it is.

Merry Venga and a merry new bus, everybody!

From this site

1. Faldrath says:

Funny, I think “Earthling” is one of Bowie’s strongest albums. Just goes to show, doesn’t it?

Thanks for your reflections. Personally, for me the double whammy of Keith Emerson and Greg Lake still hurts… I’ve been on an ELP & early Crimson binge ever since.

• Danda says:

ELP was my favourite band and changed my whole outlook as a musician. 2016 is already the worst year ever.

Oh, and games… 2016 was also the year in which my state-of-the-art-for-2012 PC couldn’t cope anymore with the new releases. I can only run the indies.

• Oozo says:

Same here. The geriatric rig thing, I mean. Which lead to a strange turn of events when, not long before Christmas, I spotted a PS4 bundled with Steep for a price which would not even buy me an average SSD hard drive and a RAM update. In a winter without actual real snow, that was too much temptation. I was so sure that I would skip this console generation. Alas, here I am.

• welverin says:

It’s the only way you’ll be able to play Uncharted 4, The Last of Us 2, and God of War, so hardly a bad purchase.

Yes, I’m assuming the last two will be good, but their track record is such it’s a safe bet.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

And Bloodborne. And The Last Guardian. And Zero Dawn Horizon. And Ace Combat 7.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Get Bloodborne. Like, GET BLOODBORNE. Might be the best game ever. Worth a shot, nae?

• Darth Gangrel says:

Alan Rickman’s death is the one I’m most sad about, so I’m glad he was mentioned in this article, if only at the third celebrity death paragraph. He died only 4 days after David Bowie, both 69 years old.

With Leonard Nimoy dead in 2015 and Leonard Cohen in 2016, we’re running out of Leonard’s.

• MikoSquiz says:

After he shat the bed with the lights on in the 80s, Bowie had two bright spots (very bright spots, to be fair) in between treading water for the rest of his career: Earthling and Outside in the ’90s, and The Next Day and Blackstar in the ’10s.

His big lows were in the ’60s (scrambling around for a style that would make him a pop star), the ’80s (losing track of where he wanted to go and phoning it in as a .. pop star), and the ’00s (throwing in ’99’s “..hours”, this was his Rolling Stones period, with each successive album hailed as a return to form after the last one was “a bit of a disappointment”, then the next album hailed as a return to form after the last one..)

To be fair, after what he got done in the 70s, everything else could’ve just been gravy and/or sprinkles on top of what was already one of the mightiest bodies of work any ostensible pop musician ever produced. Just “Station to Station” or “Ziggy Stardust” would’ve been enough on their own. The world didn’t deserve albums like Earthling and Blackstar on top of that.

2. Someoldguy says:

It’s great to see something non-shooty up there in the top 3 of the charts from time to time. I just wish Planet Caster had more game and less challenge-free set design to it. Like EVE, I’m always happy to dip into an article that marvels at other people’s mastery of the product but die of boredom playing it.

Lexx87 says:

The only building management game i’ve truly loved was Startopia. May need to get that running again…

4. Antongranis says:

Call me cold, but i dont see how people can be so affected by celebrities dying. Someone close to you, of course, but a person you possibly never met, spoken too or spent time with? They are strangers far away, and ill think you will survive without more of his music

Benratha says:

Two words (or three if you’re being pedantic)
      (Sir) Terry Pratchett

• Kaeoschassis says:

No man is truly dead, while his name is still spoken.

In answer to the OP’s question, you’re right, it’s hard to feel for someone you weren’t close to. But when someone who’s touched your life so much dies, it IS someone close to you. Maybe you didn’t KNOW them in an honest sense, but any creator is both sharing a massive part of themself with you, and probably greatly influencing your life.

Will we live without more of Bowie’s music or Pratchett’s stories? Yes. The same way I lived when my Father died. When good people who helped make the world a (far, in some cases) better place pass away, it affects us all, both on a broad scale and, often, personally.

To summarise this comment as I could so many of mine these days: Empathy. Try it.

• Antongranis says:

Thanks for the answers, everybody. I guess if you are a really big fan, it would hurt.

One point though. If you get to know someone “from a distance” and not in person, you dont really know them. You get to know them as YOU imagen them, which might not be accurate to the real thing.

Edit; You said as much yourself, i just need to pay more attention. sorry!

• Kollega says:

You’re not the only one, for better or for worse. I don’t feel anything when I hear of the death of another celebrity, because, well, we all die someday. Even when Mel Brooks dies in the future (which, sadly, is probably gonna be soon, because the man who gave us enough hilarity to last a hundred years is 90 years old himself), I imagine I won’t feel much. But to be honest, it sometimes seems that I don’t feel much of anything anymore.

Cue Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid” – or, if you’re feeling really edgy, the Type O Negative’s cover of it.

john_silence says:

Funny that you mention Type O in a comment to this effect. Peter Steele died less than a month after my mother, but I somehow managed not to hear of it until months later. Which I was grateful for, as it made me feel arguably just as orphaned. Although my real father was still around. I probably wouldn’t have got on with Steele IRL, but in my mind he was a kind of perfect consolation dad.

2010 was that year for me, like many people feel about 2016. Lhasa de Sela, McQueen, then my mom, and Peter Steele. 2016 was my father’s parting year, plus there was all the rest, but it all felt was more appalling than sad to me.

Also, that cover… is actually my favourite Type O Negative song. Turning the anxious, twitchy 1´55 original into a crushing 8´ behemoth of doom that literally sits you down – genius.

• Dewal says:

Celebrities are often artists (or people) that made you feel stuff, or participated in the creation of good memories for you.
      When someone that gave you something good die, it’s a bit sad, no ? And knowing that they won’t be able to give you anything anymore is sad too.

It can also be because it was a nice or interesting person who made the world “better” (helping or participating in important and nice stuff, for example).

I tried to stay generic. Hope it helped.

• thedosbox says:

you will survive without more of his music

Of course. But will it be as rich an existence? No.

• iucounu says:

I have never owned a Bowie album, never really paid much attention to his work, and I remember randomly hearing ‘Blackstar’ when the first single came out and really really liking it. And then he was suddenly dead and I felt a tremendous sense of sadness about it. Where did that come from? Was Bowie an important part of my life? Not as far as I knew. But I suddenly missed him terribly.

There was a national outpouring of grief, coupled with a fair amount of comment along the lines of ‘this is silly, you didn’t know them, it’s just showing off’. And I remembered how I’d been one of the latter camp back when Diana died, and resolved to be a bit nicer to people in the future.

The fact is, emotions are weird, culture is odd, grief is bonkers. Abominable, atrocious things happen continually – bombs go off killing dozens every day, Aleppo is a stain on the 21st century that you could follow on Twitter – but our reactions to them don’t always follow any kind of understandable pattern. I suppose I felt worse about Alan Rickman than a thousand nameless people killed in an earthquake, and I know it makes no rational sense, but them’s the breaks.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I was totally with you on that until Bowie. Bowie was just, not my favourite artist, but the one that I shared a liking of with seemingly everyone. My mum, my dad, my wife, my in laws, everyone close to me liked Bowie. And he seemed so infinite, like, he definitely out of anyone living was the one who would outlive us all. So yeah, a man I never knew or met died so what, but a source of many many memories both childhood, and weddings and that random time we all got drunk at dad’s and danced to Ziggy, all those things came flooding back (plus that awesome ‘see ya’ album, Blackstar) was all very emotional and I shed a number of tears. Daft really but I finally got how people could be about other such luminaries going.

5. Eleven says:

I was watching Victoria Wood’s performance at the Albert Hall on the iPlayer the other day. She made a story about her own hysterectomy hilarious, in equal parts awkward and heartwarming, from material that could more easily be tragic than humourous. Modern British comedy, at least the popular vein of edgy cynicism and cringe humour, couldn’t touch the subject.

6. Oridan says:

Snape was my favorite Harry Potter character.

7. Jalan says:

“That’s A Wrap”

No more Steam chart articles!?

“Back again in January.”

Dammit, that’s what I get for being hopeful.

8. lancelot says:

Oh, that guy from Omikron was famous?

Let me rant about something else instead:

it seems we’re seeing more and more games where specific objectives aren’t particularly important (Abzu, Burly Men at Sea, Virginia, Just Cause 3) and games that stop going for increased photorealism and go for a stylized look instead (all of the above plus Inside, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst).

What do I do in Abzu? Nothing, just swim around. What’s the point of Just Cause 3? Just perfecting flying through tunnels (employing a wingsuit, a wingsuit plus, a helicopter), landing planes, drifting and admiring the scenery (you know the game is good when you feel conflicted about demolishing a beautiful landmark). JC3 takes zero skill to beat any of its missions, but it has tons of subtle gameplay mechanics, just for fun.

Abzu and ME Catalyst are extremely stylized and they’re among the best looking games of 2016. JC3 (I know it’s a 2015 game) is also going for impossibly red poppies and an impossibly blue sea.

• Scripten says:

By rant, do you mean in a negative sense? It seems like these features are all pretty cool. I mean, I enjoy having games with art styles that are not limited by their age. What looks incredibly realistic now will be dated in two years, but good art direction never really dies. (Hell yeah, thespian dramatics!)

• lancelot says:

No, if anything I think JC3 is underrated. And I agree with the viewpoint that you do nothing in Abzu but you have an awfully good time doing it.

I was just thinking that maybe we have some interesting trends here. It’s like what — I think — happened with Finding Dory: they can do superrealistic reflections in the water, wet fur that does look like wet fur, and whatnot. But then they remember that they’re not doing a 3D documentary, Finding Dory is supposed to have a cartoonish look. And they end up having this weird jumble of cartoonish and realistic. Games may eventually reach that kind of a saturation point too, where upping the photorealism level isn’t very productive.

• Kollega says:

Yeah, I gotta say, the art style of Just Cause 3 is more “vacation postcard” than “boring photorealism”. It’s still pseudo-realistic, but the color choices and art direction are made to complement the experience of being on vacation in Medici, rather than to fulfill an attempt to be “gritty and realistic”. And I adore JC3 for daring to try it. I only got to play it comfortably one year after it was released, but sweet gods in heaven, I love the game for everything it is and tries to be.

9. SanguineAngel says:

“[heart-rending criticism of Rogue One]”

Alec, you’ve broken my heart. I don’t think we can be friends any more. I love that film with a burning passion.

• SuicideKing says:

To be fair I think it’s the right antidote to all the people saying how much they loved the film.

Helps counter hype. After Ep.7, I welcome anything that counters hype and my expectation of star wars.

• SanguineAngel says:

Honestly I’ll probably stay friends with Alec but maybe just call him a little less… ¬_¬

Anyway, I see what you’re saying. Ordinarily I’d be in agreement. I fully and happily recognise that people’s tastes vary and am no stranger to both enjoying a film despite (sometimes because of) its flaws or even disliking a film widley praised… [Fury Road]

However, I’m finding Rogue One to be a very peculiar case. Usually I can recognise and acknowledge genuine criticisms levelled against a film I loved. Lord knows Episode VII was fuuullll of issues but I loved it anyway.

In the case of Rogue One, I see the same handful of criticisms bandied about the critical response to the movie and I just don’t recognise them at all. Poor characterisation, dodgy Tarkin, shallow villain, Slow Pacing in the first half hour and a rushed edit? I just can’t tally that with the film I saw. I may have gone Rogue One blind… There are a couple of things I would pick on in the film but just none of these. These are, in fact, the areas of the film I fell in love with.

• Masked Dave says:

I loved it too, I just don’t recognise the version of the film that Alec describes seeing! The characters were great!

It also bugs me when people say things like “it was editted to hell”. How do you know? Where you there? DId you see the dailies? Editing is an important part of filmmaker, lots of writers/directors say it’s where the final draft actually happens and they’d keep tinkering forever if the studios didn’t force them to release.

Also its widely understood that without an amazing pair of editors coming in to fix it, A New Hope would have been an awful mess.

• SanguineAngel says:

I’m with you there. I think I must have a massive blind spot here because I just can’t match the comments with the film I saw.

Though I do think the film has been heavily edited – I just don’t think that’s a bad thing. I think it has been well edited, which is probably where I differ from Mr Meer

• Alec Meer says:

It’s worse than episode 1, but not as bad as II or III. The only personalities are “makes a gag / repeats a mantra / is a bit nervous.” We are effectively told to care rather than given real reasons to. The pacing is all over the place. The planet-hopping is vacuously rapid, with no context or meaning given to any place. The longest dialogue anyone has is explaining at absurd length where a button is. The CGI-folk are disastrous. Characters are wheeled on and wheeled off again to tick boxes. Even the AT-ATs are just there to explode, no menace. It’s a beautiful sight and obviously I dug the hell out of the that bit (though it felt airlifted in from a different, better movie entirely), but as a film it’s extremely choppy, and receiving an almighty free pass because of its fanservice overload.

• Masked Dave says:

You lost me when you suggest that Episode 1 is the *best* of the prequels.

But I don’t think there’s any reconciling our takes on this film. For me it doesn’t matter that I don’t care about every character. I cared about Jynn and more importantly I cared about the Rebel cause.

This film does a great job of making the Emprie a real villain in the universe that *needs* to be overthrown.

• Alec Meer says:

All three are terrible movies, and obviously Jar-Jar’n’Jake are excruciating, but it at least tries to be its own, real movie rather than an extended videogame cutscene.

• Masked Dave says:

To me it’s the toxic presence that destroys the other 2 prequels in people’s minds. Over the month or so leading up to Episode 7 coming out I did a full re-watch (in the correct order of 4, 5, 2, 3, 6) and found that Ep2 stood up as quite a fun action movie with some great side characters that should have broken out as standout iconic characters like Fett did, if the film had been better received. I mean, the love story stuff is awful, but the rest of it was fun.

I finished with a double-bill of Revenge of the Sith / Return of the Jedi and they worked *really* well together to give a proper Fall & Rise of Anakin Skywalker story. (Yes, the “Noooo!” bit is bad, but the rest is good!)

• Vandelay says:

I’ve not seen Rogue One yet, so can’t comment, but I do have to agree with Alec that Ep1 is the best of the prequels. I wouldn’t even say that is a particularly controversial statement to make now that people have looked back on them.

At the very least, you have to admit that Ep1 has the best two sequences in the prequel trilogy, with the podracing sequence and the Darth Maul battle. Those were genuinely great pieces of cinema action. The rest of the trilogy just couldn’t compare, with ep2 mostly being bland and ep3 trying way to hard to be “dark”. I’m surprised the characters and cameramen didn’t get sick from all of the walking around in circles they have to do during multiple confrontation (seriously, watch that film and see how often it uses that cliche of combatants circling each other. Some really awful direction in that installment.)

• SanguineAngel says:

I started writing a response to each point but it was getting a bit lengthy (Though ever respectful!)

However, if you don’t mind my responding, I genuinely just find myself at odds with all of your points – I find you actually listing several of my favourite things about the film. Obviously, it’s all a matter of taste but it’s a shame you can’t peer into my brain and indulge in the joy I feel for the movie.

• Masked Dave says:

It’s funny how that happens really isn’t it. Just taking “The CGI-folk are disastrous” for example: I loved the film, but CGI Tarkin really didn’t work for me.

But I know other people for whom it just worked.

And that said, other CGI-folk were fine, and that last shot of the film… I don’t know how they did that other than time travel or cloning.

It’s just weird how humans can’t seem to accept that about each other. My gut reaction to hearing such a different opinion as Alec’s was “No, you’re wrong!” and I had to fight that down.

• Alec Meer says:

Equally, I’m genuinely *bewildered* by people who say they cared about Jyn, who just came across to me as a particularly dour walking plot device who twisted in the wind according to others’ needs, but I just have to accept that she must have somehow resonated with others. (I found Bodhi and Assault Cannon Man to be the most convincing presences, but they barely got any lines. Apart from that speech about a switch).

• Masked Dave says:

I’m linking to a post on another forum as my response to that because it’s full of spoilers and I don’t know how to hide them on here:

link to thetales.co.uk

But the TL;DR version is that Jyn’s character arc just worked for me, felt completely believable and really well fleshed out.

Wasn’t too bothered by Captain Rebel Man or Traitor Pilot Man but the actors did their jobs well. K2 was good but not as awesome as he should have been, missed HK-47 opportunity there.

Like you the not-actually-Jedi people were probably the only other characters I actively liked and want to know more about (inevitable spin-off comics, yay!) but that didn’t matter to my overall enjoyment of the film.

Can it really be as simple as I liked Jyn and you didn’t on which everything else spins? I immediately wanted to go back and watch it again – not a reaction I often have – and it’s hard to think that would be just because I liked the main character.

Although may be that just pre-disposed me to like everything the film offered me.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Agree with you a lot Alex but the AT-ATs brought the menace, I thought. Everything was “oh they might actually do this” till they stomp out of the smoke. Was genuinely “oh shit” chilling.

And what’s “that scene”? Are we talking Darth at the end? That was the best scene by a mile but, yeah, basically copy/pasted from the past (still rocked, mind).

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Saw this yesterday and still trying to work out what I thought of it to be honest. I hear all of Alec’s criticisms, especially about CGI – every one of those scenes pulled me out of the film, yes even the final one which everyone raves about. She looked so daft and fake! Like a plastic figurine.

However, I did like a lot of what they did. It was the least star warsy film of the star wars films, a bit dark, some ambiguous characters. Ok, hardly groundbreaking, but for star wars to have potentially evil rebels and conscientious imperials felt interesting. I think ultimately it comes down to the end. The last 5 mins, particularly the scene with DV in the corridor, were the best scenes in the film and you left wanting to watch ep4, not rewatch the film. Force Awakens was a better film, IMHO.

10. cpt_freakout says:

Speaking of Rogue One, I don’t know why but the city convoy war scene with the chilling ‘crying kid about to be blown to bits’ part left me wanting for an XCOM 2-styled Rogue One (or just Star Wars) game. I think it would be grand, so I hope someone at Disney offers Firaxis some money to make a game sometime. I mean, picture it: instead of Earth’s regions you have various planets in which to conduct your ‘sabotage’ and ‘intelligence’ ops (otherwise known as the terrorism of the good guys) of different kinds, garnering the support of the galaxy for a huge final battle against some mad Imperial general aboard a Super Star Destroyer or something like that. No Jedis, just a bunch of ragtag aliens and humans vs. a bazillion types of storm troopers!

Ross Turner says:

This is a genius mod that needs to happen! Advent troopers and officers as storm troopers and imperial officers, sectopods aren’t far off being AT-STs! Now I’m upset this will probably never happen.

Nauallis says:

Does anybody know if KotOR 1 got patched for Win7/8/10? The game is fantastic and a great nostalgia trip, one of the few that holds up after 10+ years, but trying to run it on a Win7 or Win10 PC even in compatibility mode turns it into a steaming pile of hot garbage. I ended up breaking an xbox360 out of storage just to play this old game, and it runs better on that to boot. Load times still suck.

12. engion3 says:

Picked up Just Cuz and really enjoying it. Looks great. I can see how it will get boring but it’s worth $15.

13. TheAngriestHobo says:

I feel like there’s a case to be made that it should not be legal for studios to offer pre-orders without allowing for early reviews. Locking in sales early while actively trying to keep customers from knowing what kind of experience they’re paying for is pretty damn unethical.