Crytek’s VR dinoland Robinson coming to PC after all

Given that the term “exclusively” in video games often has an invisble “until a deal we can’t tell you about expires” attached (if you’re curious: this is visible only by the light of a blue moon), it’s probably not a surprise that Crytek’s PlayStation VR exclusive dinosaur adventure Robinson: The Journey [official site] is now headed for a PC version. Yup, Crytek may be closing several studios and laying off staff but they’re not done just yet. In January, the cybergoggle dinoventure will hit PC for Oculus Rift goggs.

As we’ve mostly ignored Robinson, here’s quick marketing blurb recap:

“Robinson: The Journey invites players to step into the shoes of Robin – a boy left stranded on an extrasolar planet in the aftermath of a doomed space voyage. Accompanied by AI unit HIGS and baby T-Rex Laika, Robin must use his wits to survive in a world full of adventure, secrets, and breathtaking dinosaurs. Rift players will feel truly present in another reality as they search for fellow survivors and unravel the mystery at the heart of Robin’s journey.”

You wear goggles and make friends with a dinosaur, okay? As I understand it, it’s another VR tour-o-game. Well, it’ll beat Ark: Survival Evolved spin-off Ark Park out.

Alec, our resident cyberman, did quite enjoy Crytek’s VR rock ’em up The Climb.

Here, look at these dinos:

1. Vesuvius says:

Dinosaurs have feathers, Robinson.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

Some do. There’s no conclusive evidence yet to support the claim that they were all feathered. It’s just a hypothesis. The earliest examples are from the Triassic period, so it may just have been a late development. They’ve also only been found with smaller dinosaurs.
      Since they were all of the same class, they certainly would have all had similar organs, but we don’t have fur like chimpanzees, do we?

• aepervius says:

We do have fur, at least vestigial amounts of it. What do you think body hairs are ? Feathers ?

• GenialityOfEvil says:

That’s my point. We have patches in a few places, and even then it depends on gender.

2. frightlever says:

I’ve read that it’s a good but expensive-for-the-length game, but they’ll be making more from Facebook to have it as a Rift exclusive than they’ll make in sales. And I’m not talking as a disgruntled Vive owner at all. Honest.

(Most dinosaurs having feathers has been a theory for a couple of years – fighting the image of dinosaurs I picked up from the 1968 Look and Learn annual is going to take evidence from an actual time machine.)

• Walsh says:

As a fellow Vive owner, it still stings. Hopefully, it works with Revive.

• Kitsunin says:

I thought they were doing away with the Rift exclusivity nonsense. Reading that is the only reason I stopped being pissed off at Facebook in the first place. Not true?

• frightlever says:

Can you think of ANY other reason why they wouldn’t bring it to Vive, which by all accounts has twice as many owners?

• k.t says:

I assume “by all accounts” means the Steam hardware survey. That’s not particularly reliable when it comes to VR.

As for reasons for the lack of Vive support — Crytek doesn’t have any money, and Valve hasn’t offered to help with that.

If you want more Vive games, tell Valve to be more proactive about supporting developers. It’s not like they can’t afford it.

• k.t says:

Depends what you mean by exclusivity. They don’t block anyone from hacking in support for other hardware, but they also don’t pay people to support the Vive — and nor should they. That’s Valve’s responsibility, and it’s one that they continue to shirk.

3. int says:

Not the mama! Not the mama!

4. kud13 says:

Silly Crytek. Laika is a dog’s name. Literal meaning is “she-barker”.

T-rexes don’t bark… I don’t think. Unles “The land before time” lied to me.

Don Reba says:

It’s also a breed. But there is a ton of Russians at Crytek. I’m sure it was intentional.

5. Xzi says:

The best VR dino game out is Island 359. They’ve updated it with multiple locomotion methods.

• frightlever says:

Hmm. I was looking at this on the Steam Sale last night. Stuck it on my wishlist, but maybe I’ll just go have another look… it’s a wave-based shooter with survival aspects? Hmm.

6. Konservenknilch says:

Start paying your employees maybe.