Double Dragon 4 starts biffing later this month

Arc System Works are making a new retro-styled Double Dragon beat ’em up, even rounding up some of the original DD gang to chip in. Double Dragon IV [official site] will hit later this month and…. huh! What a curious bit of news. This NES-lookin’ throwdown is certainly the opposite of Double Dragon: Neon, the radtacular cowabungical modern revival by WayForward. Arc were nothing to do with Neon, mind, as they picked up the rights to Double Dragon only in 2015. Seems they fancied making some real old-school Double Dragon. Huh! Weird.

Double Dragon IV’s team includes the original game’s director and producer, Yoshihisa Kishimoto, along with designer Koji Ogata and composer Kazunaka Yamane. This time, the biffing is jetting off to Japan and… look, just watch the trailer:

Old Double Dragon, see? I don’t think I’m still interested in ye olde beate ’eme upes which seem to stick to old ways (I’ve found they’re better left in Nostalgiaville?) but I’m sure some of y’all might be.

Double Dragon 4 is due out via Steam on January 31st.

Playground argument: Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, or Final Fight? No time for reasoned debate pick one for flimsy reasons then declare the others RUBBISH and argue until the bell rings okay 3 2 1 go. STREETS OF RAGE! That’s always been the post-apocalyptic American beat ’em up series for me. I can’t resist gangs of movie punks causing trouble in a dystopian megacity of eternal night. I’m fairly certain my memory has mixed huge chunks of Final Fight into Streets of Rage but look, playground argument rules forbid nuance and reflection.

particlese says:

Battletoads and Double Dragon, doi! They’re the ultimate team! No argument nee— oh, hey, saved by the bell.

2. Danda says:

Did it have to look like a NES game? For me, Double Dragon was always an arcade game and some really crappy computer versions. Who is this game for, Americans? So, not really interested :/

• Shakes999 says:

Yes, Double Dragon NES was huge over here in America and substantially more popular than the arcade version. There is a big market for people who killed many hours on Double Dragon II. Personally I liked the remake but many weren’t fans.

• Tony M says:

Yeah for me Double Dragon was an arcade game, not NES, so the graphics and nostalgia are all a bit off. Sorry, but if you’re going to sell me something based on pure nostalgia, it has to be spot on.

• Solomon Grundy says:

Agree. It was a breakthrough arcade game, but the NES version just seemed like a cheap copy.

3. MikoSquiz says:

This looks well shit. Those are some of the worst “low-bit” pixel graphics I’ve seen in a good 20 years, and unless I’m really missing something the gameplay appears to be on the level of a Flash game you’d kill four minutes with.

• CartonofMilk says:

Are you being ironic or 20?

This is doing double dragon as it was back in the NES days. Same graphics, same animations, And seems to play exactly the same. Now that is either your thing or not but to fault it for doing exactly what it aims to do seems well, a little silly.

What i found to be shit though was DD:Neon. I hate this new ironic fake 80s retro parody shit. Especially because it’s never even clever with it. See the Kung Fury short for example.

• polecat says:

When the video says ‘The legend goes on’ does it flip from original games on NES to the one they’re launching? Either way I do think the art takes a bit of a quality dive at that point though it still looks like a NES game of course!

I only had this on GameBoy so the fact it has colours and a rectangular aspect ratio is positively modern. My memory of the version I played is that it was very arcade-y i.e. nice aesthetic, great fun, but frequently back to square one with some massive difficulty spikes. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

• RuySan says:

Buy why basing the game on the NES version when the original was an Arcade game?

Besides, NES had some ghastly colour palette. I’d rather if the game had Master System graphics.

• Spacewalk says:

From the people who made Guilty Gear and BlazeBlue I was expecting more. Much, much more.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Final Fight because it let you beat them up as the goddamn mayor!!

Also this: link to youtu.be

5. Turkey says:

Forsooth! What doth mine eyes perceive? Pixel art upon my very screen? I will not have it, sir! Good day to you!

6. Person of Interest says:

More Double Dragon music? More enemies to Hyper Knee across the screen into a pit of spikes? Yes, this is a sign that 2017 will be a better year than the last.

• TTex says:

True story. I once did an entire play through of Double Dragon II doing nothing but hyper-kneeing my way across the game.

7. Minsc_N_Boo says:

(Old) Nintendo Fanboy here. Streets of Rage could take Final Fight and Double Dragon at the same time, with one hand tied behind their back

I played them all recently, and SoR is still the king / queen of beat-up-ups.

Double Dragon was fun, but still felt old back in the 16bit era

• RuySan says:

For me Cadillacs and Dinossaurs is still the best brawler ever. As for the choices presented i have to go with Final Fight. I played a lot of that on the Amiga, and I was never a fan of Megadrive’s dark colours and shitty sound (even though the music sounds miraculous on SoR, I must agree)

• daff3ww says: