ModDB’s Mod of the Year winner announced

If I was a betting man, I’d have put money on Enderal, the vast Skyrim total conversion, winning the public vote for ModDB‘s mod of the year. That I’d have lost all that money is why I’m not a betting man. Enderal came second behind Stalker: Call of Chernobyl, a similarly vast total conversion for the enduring Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

Call of Chernobyl is a “freeplay” mod, which means it strips away most of the Call of Pripyat’s plot and linear progression in favour of the ability to roam anywhere and extra focus on the game’s survival elements. The latter includes optional additions like sleep deprivation to contend with, but the mod makes many other changes, including expanding the world map, overhauling the AI and A-Life systems, and much more. It also contains all the maps from all Stalker games – Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, and Call of Pripyat – each remade to fit the mechanics of the mod, with new shelters to sleep in, traders to buy vodka from, and so on.

Apparently there was less than one percent difference in voting numbers between Call of Chernobyl and Enderal, so both are clearly pretty good. You can find the full top ten mods here, which includes other games such as Hearts of Iron IV: The Great War in third place and Brutal Doom 64 in fifth.

Voting has also come to an end for IndieDB’s indie game of the year. The list tends to highlight games I’m already familiar with so is less interesting to me, but you can find the top ten – including first placed RimWorld – over here.

From this site

1. Eraysor says:

So pleased the STALKER series is still getting some love. Call of Pripyat was an incredible game.

2. Tim James says:

Someone, I think on reddit, mentioned ModDB has a strong STALKER contingent so they were able to swing the vote from Enderal.

3. 2helix4u says:

Great War for HOI4 is a very ambitious mod, but I can’t guess at how playable it is in the long run having not finished a game.
    HOI4 already slows down to a nearly unplayable chugging by the end of the regular game, I can’t imagine what its like with twice as much time to cover.

Minsc_N_Boo says:

STALKER does look interesting – I was very disappointed with the vanilla game. I was expecting a FPS Fallout RPG game, so this mod might actually make it live up to my expectations!

Of course I did eventually get my FPS Fallout a year later :-)

• BobbyDylan says:

Ironically I was bitterly disappointed with Fallout 3, and wanted it to be more like STALKER.
      Though if they were going to make a shooter out of Fallout, at lest make it a decent one.

• PineMaple says:

STALKER is one of my top 3 favourite games of all time and I adore this mod to pieces. If you want an amazing sandbox with incredible AI that creates emergent gameplay and tight, tactical, and tense tussles, then both the vanilla series and this mod will deliver that in spades. That being said, this mod can’t turn STALKER into an RPG (more than the series already was) any more than mods could turn Fallout 3 into the “proper” OG Fallout sequel I was hoping for.

5. Don Reba says:

Well-deserved!

6. Kefren says:

I might look into this. STALKER 1 took me a while to get into, but then I loved it. I played it again with the Complete mod, so it added sleeping bags (which adds a huge amount to immersion), and loved it again. STALKER 2 nearly put me off at the start, then I got immersed again – turned out I never needed to go back to the starting hub, just adventured onwards and had a whole series of great experiences. Yet STALKER 3 – I tried, but gave up in the end a few regions in. For some reason it seemed more frustrating than fun. I know that goes against established opinion.

7. Doubler says:

I am typically very picky with mods, and especially with Stalker mods I felt a lot of the big ones tended to go with a kitchen sink approach and ended up a bit of a mess.
    With that in mind, I’m really enjoying Call of Chernobyl. It’s the kind of Stalker game I always wanted, and all the fluff is optional.

I’m also happy that Stalker continues to thrive by virtue of its fanbase. Gives me hope that maybe we’ll see a sequel some day, and that game developers might look at what the Stalker games did well and take some lessons from it.

8. Darth Jimmi says: