Heat Signature’s teleporters and a ridiculous escape

It has been many moons since we last looked at the sneaky, top-down spaceship invading of Heat Signature [official site] but work has not ceased. A new trailer shows some new looks for the different factions you’ll be encountering, as well as explaining how a few of your hero’s teleporter skills work. In the process, creator Tom Francis fails to sneak through a high-difficulty level, proving that the game will fit neatly into the genre of Stealth But Things Go Badly Wrong.

Skip to 4.20 to see him dock at a ship where he is supposed to assassinate someone without alerting people. Obviously, it does not pan out this way. He trips the alarm, hurriedly hacks a turret in a room filled with guards, then swaps his own character for another guard hiding behind a locked door, all before realising he has exactly “zero seconds” in which to escape the ship alive before it docks at an enemy station – a feat which he then somehow pulls off. Of course, this just causes another problem.

We’re also told by way of an accompanying blog post that Tom is off to work at Valve’s offices for three months, saying “they want my input on something”, which is mysterious and interesting. But he’s afraid to go there by himself, and is hunting for a programmer to help him sand down the rough edges of his own game. Which means: it’s almost done.

“I’m 3 years in to Heat Signature and I’d like it to be finished,” he says. “It’s almost feature-complete, but I’m looking for someone to help me with the technical aspects of finishing it.”

[Disclosure: Many of RPS’ writers know Tom Francis personally because he used to be a journo before releasing his previous game, Gunpoint. But I do not and am thus able to write about him without restriction. I was hired exclusively for this reason.]

1. Synesthesia says:

3 years? A Valve consultation? You know what this means?

2. AutonomyLost says:

This game looks sweet from the little but I’ve seen. I’ll be viewing the entirety of the above video when I have access to my PC after work. Thanks for mentioning this in two distinct places today, RPS!

3. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Was quite intrigued by the spaceship stealth concept of this in its early days, was interesting to see how that develops. Sadly the game doesn’t seem to be about that any more, seems the actual spaceship flying is just to link together the missions which are the new core of the game. Ah well.

• LTK says:

The spaceships in this video don’t have heat detectors, so that particular mechanic isn’t at play here, but there will still be instances where managing your ship’s heat is required. There have just been a lot of things added around it.

4. b00p says:

exciting! ive had this on my steam wishlist for a while now, wondering if it was still coming out. gunpoint was surprisingly excellent.

5. thedosbox says:

Wow, the art has got a lot prettier since I last watched one of these. Listening to Tom as things go wrong is always fun.

6. TheAngriestHobo says:

This wasn’t on my radar at all, but after watching the video, I’m digging the systems-driven approach to (what appears to be) a procedural space exploration game. Thanks for the article; I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

7. pizzatiger says:

Brenden Caldwell? Aren’t you one of the absolutely amazing shut up and sit down guys, I’m going to look forward to seeing you in your new job of being the Heat signature review guy, hopefully you won’t get promoted to Head janitor anytime soon (I’m fine with you being demoted to full-time writer too)

8. Vanderdecken says:

The Sovereign ship looks like a ROG motherboard.

9. wisnoskij says:

What is with the disclaimer, is it a joke?
    I am unbiased, I don’t know this guy, our only connection is that I was hired to right positive reviews of him.

• king0zymandias says:

Not a joke. Everyone knows Brendan is the resident Tom Francis reviewer.

10. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Pull the page! Conflict of interest! Cronyism!
    Or…. Gunpoint was one of the best proper indie games of recent years, and Heat Signature is looking very tasty too. No need for the disclaimer tbh guys , I think we trust your judgement..?

11. JiminyJickers says:

Oh man, I’m so excited for this game. Can’t wait to give it a crack.