What are we all playing this weekend?

Is it the future already? Doesn’t time fly! Abandon the past. Slip out of your old clothes, weigh them with rocks, and cast them into the sea. This is the future – we’ve no time for none of that. But do tell me: which futuregames are you playing this futureweekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on!

Adam: This weekend I’m going to watch some real life wrasslin’, which is a good way to hide from the disappointment of every modern grappling game. When I’m at my computer, I’ll mostly be playing The Binding of Isaac because, despite my complaints, the new expansion has reinvigorated my love for McMillen’s masterpiece. That and Darkest Dungeon, which I restarted last week and can’t stop playing.
Alec: People keep telling me that I missed the point of Glittermitten Grove, a title I increasingly believe to be the worst videogame of all time. I take pride in being the most thorough games journalist in the profession, so I suppose I will give it another cursory glance just on the extremely remote off-chance that I missed something. I’m sure it’s just empty internet whingeing as usual, though.
Alice: I mean, obviously I’m playing Isaac. Despite some annoyances, I am digging the new expansion and am excited to see more. New items and unlocks are great and all but what I want most is to build a truly obscene multi-item with the new character, Apollyon. I fancy dipping into the ace Antibirth mod more too. Might have a natter about All Things Isaac with Adam next week.
Brendan: I might try and unearth some more meaning behind the otherworldly symbols of Sethian, or I might further my base rhythmic instincts in Thumper, which also feels like it came from another planet. Or maybe I will hop back into Elite and try to find some of these terrifying Thargoids for myself. Basically, I’m on a mission to study aliens this weekend. We must understand them if we are to survive.
Graham: I uninstalled almost all my Steam games over the Christmas break. I had over 70 installed, most of them unplayed, and I hope that by whittling it down to just a few that’ll I’ll be more compelled to boot something new up. It’s worked so far: I’m playing VA-11 Hall A aka Valhalla aka the cyberpunk bartending sim. Or, at least, I’ve booted it up before being called away instantly. I hope to press the actual start game button this weekend.
John: [John was allowed to return to RPS in a ‘new year, new leaf’ reconcilliatory spirit but, alas, he has inevitably been fired once again.]
Philippa: [Pip is off abroard for Smite eSports shenanigans and as such I suppose is working 24/7 and has no time to play games, only watch. Your dedication does us proud, Pip.]

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Herzog says:

Finished Dust: Elysian Tail yesterday. Fun metroidvania with good production values. As I will be back in China from next week for till the end of January I do not feel like starting another single player game.

So this weekend will be more online fps action with Reflex. Also the occasional round of Spelunky. Maybe I will start digging into NEO Scavenger again.

• PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Hmm.. I have Dust, didn’t know it was a Metroid-alike (‘vania is not deserving of the association IMO..) I’ll try that next. This weekend i will mostly be playing Capsized, a metroidofyesod-alike, looks great so far..

• GeoX says:

Most Metroidvania games are more Castlevania than Metroid, and in any case, the former has enough influence on the genre that “Metroid-alike” really isn’t a sufficient descriptor.

Dust is okay, but it suffers from really boring characters and an amateurish story. Also, at least on normal mode, it quickly becomes WAY too easy.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Capsized is brilliant! What did you think? Really changes things up every level. If you finish have a go at the gravity gun only levels too, great fun.

Godwhacker says:

I’ll be checking out the Diablo III event to see if it offers more than the usual clicking. I lost interest in the main game ages ago but it’ll be nice to have a quick bash.

I might also finally restart GTA after dropping it for The Witcher 3 ages ago- I find it rather tricky to flit between games with lots of controls and have to reprogram my brain each time

3. lglethal says:

The Division will probably be my main game this weekend. Doing a single player run through at the moment. Quite fun!

Also probably dig out DX:MD to try and finish it off, and continue my single player runthrough of Shadowrun Chronicles.

Does anyone have any suggestions of games that can be played without sound? A lot of the time, whilst I’m playing my fiancee will be on the couch playing on her tablet while we listen to an audiobook. Any suggestions for Games I can play that dont need sound would be appreciated (currently trying out Magic 2015 and Civ 5)!

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I always found sports games were good (PES 2017 would be my personal pic). I always fire something like that up if we’re lounging listening to music. Or puzzle games? Hexcells, spacechem, that sort of doodad

• Frank says:

I’ll second the puzzle games recommendation. I also find lightweight TBS games work without sound and consistent attention (Sean O’Connor’s Slay, Advance Wars or clones, Wesnoth, Skulls of the Shogun, Steamworld Heist, maybe Hero Generations).

Arnvidr says:

My goto (podcast) game is Auro/American Truck Simulator.

• Lieutenant_Scrotes says:

Orwell is perfect for this scenario; I actually feel the game is more enjoyable if you don’t give it your full attention while playing, as bizarre as that sounds.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Duskers. Seriously. It will be fine. Nothing bad will happen, I promise.

• malkav11 says:

Hex: Shards of Fate is one of my go-to podcast games, along with Marvel Heroes and Euro/American Truck Simulator. The latter is definitely the least competitive with audio listening, but although you miss some fun audio cues in Marvel Heroes and some more challenging encounters might suck your attention away in Hex, you can still get a lot of useful stuff done without allocating a lot of attention and save savoring them for other less distracted occasions.

• ButteringSundays says:

Maybe just enjoy the audiobook, or play the game, rather than half-paying attention to 2 things your brain can’t do at once?

I swear mobile phones have ruined people’s attention spans.

• ButteringSundays says:

I will add to my cinisims that the above suggestion, ETS2 is actually great. Driving/walking simulators are really the only types of game that would involve not ignoring one activity for the other, at least intermittently.

• malkav11 says:

I don’t know about the original poster but I am completely unable to focus on audio-only content unless my hands are occupied with something. I mostly listen to podcasts at work, because my work – although there’s plenty of it – rarely involves as much direct attention as even a very laid back game. But if I want to listen at home, it’s gaming or cooking.

• lglethal says:

This is very much my problem. I cant concentrate on audio without doing something with my hands. On my tablet I would do something like Sudoku, or puzzle games, and at the moment I do games like Blood Bowl and Magic on my PC, but I’m always open to other suggestions! :)

• Spuzzell says:

Football Manager is perfect for playing while listening to things, but if you’re;

A: not into football or

B: even slightly interested in having the time to play anything else for a month or two

then I’d avoid it.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yeah, or why not smoke this delicious crack pipe instead.

4. Minglefingler says:

I may dabble in Shadow Warrior 2 (maybe not, played a lot of Doom and Destiny lately so it could be time for a something in another genre) or possibly the Solus Project which I’m a few hours into and really enjoying due to the fantastic atmosphere. I know it’s not a PC game but I did recently buy Until Dawn on PS4 and am astounded that at the end of a chapter there’s a “previously on Until Dawn” bit, an unskippable cutscene showing snippets of cutscenes you watched a few minutes a ago. I may be old and cranky but this sort of thing makes it highly unlikely that I’ll get through the game.

5. Ghostwise says:

More Fallout 2 now that our Fallout articles have had the bulk of their overhaul.

Ye Olde Isometrique Interfaysse can be a bit of a pain in the keister, though.

6. Alec Meer says:

Let it be known that Alice is ultro-mego-triple-fired for wantonly firing me rather than including the bit I sent her yesterday. Fortunately this egregious error has been corrected. The galaxy is at peace once again.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Calm down Alec, it was a Meer slip

• caff says:

If the RPS hivemind keep firing one another, what will be left? Maybe they could just set up a recurring “WAYAPTW” weekly post that never ends, until the website writes itself?

7. Darth Gangrel says:

With the new year, I’ve started a new game, Lord of the Rings: War in the North, my first Lotr game. It’s quite good, a nice hack ‘n’ slash, with a few special attacks to mix things up.

Although, just like with Warhammer, I’ve found it hard to find a game that I would enjoy, despite liking the setting so much. Space Marine is still the only game that seems decent out of the dozens available (I don’t like strategy games).

There might be a few more Lotr games that I could like, but most seem mediocre or a worse version of War in the North. I’m into FPS/TPS, RPG, but turn-based stuff is also nice.

• Gomer_Pyle says:

I feel like we’re due for a “proper” LotR RPG. While I did enjoy War in the North, I would have liked it to be more of an RPG, with full character customisation, (more) side quests and an open world.

• Darth Gangrel says:

War in the north has some fanservice with characters from the books, but it’s essentially its own story. I don’t see why someone wouldn’t be able to make a great RPG in a similar vein.

The party management is near non-existent in War in the north, but still works. The other two companions do their thing and I do mine – team work!

The best party management I’ve seen is in the KotOR games, where I was able to queue up to 4 different actions at any time. That avoided the aggravation with stupid AI doing stupid things at the wrong time, like in Dragon Age: Origins. I don’t know why more games haven’t copied that mechanic, because it’s damn good being able to give more than 1 order when pausing the game.

• malkav11 says:

There was a Lord of the Rings JRPG on consoles back in the PS2 days. Not sure if it was any good.

• magogjack says:

As I understand it you were playing characters following the main story and it was a 6 out of 10, although your kilo-metres maybe be calibrated to a different measure-made.

8. Bowak says:

I managed to stand firm and not buy a single game in the Steam sale due to backlog pressures, so this weekend I’m actively hacking away at partially completed games – and starting with the short ones to get a sense of momentum built up.

I finished Firewatch last night, and bloody lovely it was too. I’d heard all sorts of criticism of the ending but I liked how it played out.

Today will be Brothers – A Tale of Two Sons and Sunday should be the final 2 chapters of Telltale’s Game of Thrones. If I actually finish all 3, the shocking thing is that will be more games completed in one weekend than in either of the last 2 years.

9. airtekh says:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

The game’s incredible. It’s like I’ve stepped into an alternate universe where Pyro Studios decided not to fuck up Commandos 3, and instead took their real time tactics games on a brief detour into feudal Japan.

This game should not exist, but it does, and I’m absolutely delighted. What impresses me most is that it’s not a complete ripoff of Commandos (although myself and many others would still have bought it) but it does come up with some very interesting ideas of its own.

Heartily recommended for anyone who liked Commandos or real time tactics/puzzle games.

• AutonomyLost says:

+1. The game is fantastic. I’ve picked up a few more recently and keep forgetting to go back to ST. Gotta do it!

particlese says:

Played around with player housing with a friend on Elder Scrolls Online’s test server. Mostly just had fun trolling eachother with rocks and trees and reporting the bugs we found, and grumbled over having to delete a ton of other games to make way for its 50GB bulk.

I’d like to start playing some new things, though, so I’m thinking I’ll give Sethian a try and pre-empt its hand-holding with my own notes, as Brendan did after a while. I’m into the foreign language puzzle thing, but not so much excessive hand-holding.

Also, I recently started making stuff in Destinations. Valve’s modding tools seem like an unnecessary monstrosity, but I haven’t properly learned them yet. More importantly, they work, and it’s really fun to see the results in VR, so there’ll be more modding this weekend.

11. Raoul Duke says:

I’m finally trying The Division, and hell if it isn’t much better than a combination of media coverage and my own snarky expectations had led me to believe.

The graphics are really good, too. I remember it being pilloried for misleading pre-release footage, but it looks very, very nice running in DX12.

• gabrielonuris says:

Yeah, The Division is actually a gem; sometimes I’m happy to completely ignore the press and player base opinions, and just take a ride by myself and see with my own eyes what the game is all about. The atmosphere of apocalyptic New York reminds me of games like Stalker and Homefront The Revolution.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yeah, I played the free weekend and it was gorgeous and fun. Everything you want in a bird, eh.

12. Sorbicol says:

Just finishing off my first full campaign in Civ VI, which I’ve found to be the most polished release version of Civ I’ve played in a long time. There are a lot of systems to explore, path to victory doesn’t have to be decided until some way into the campaign, it’s a shame the AI still can’t really cope with 1UpT or understand the concept up upgrading its military.

Otherwise I’ll be high tailing it to the Pleiades sector from the California Nebula in Elite:Dangerous and see if I can get myself scanned by a Thargoid. Man, that has to be one the greastest ‘first contact’ sequences ever committed to any type of entertainment medium.

13. defunct says:

I just read this article every week to see who’s gonna get fired. Poor John. I’ll really miss his articles!
    Oh, and Astroneer still because I don’t have time during the week, and Skyrim, because it just won Test of Time and I don’t think it should have because it’s not THAT old, but it’s still decent. With lots of mods.

14. gabrielonuris says:

Satellite Reign, maybe the worst beautiful game I’ve ever played! You know when a game looks wonderful on screenshots and trailers, but when you take control of its gameplay it actually stinks?! Satellite Reign.

When its stealth mechanics works (maybe 1 time out of 100) it’s indeed very fun. I’m almost 30 hours in, in hopes that it will suddenly get better and be on par with the visuals, but nope. The work on that game clearly started on the visuals and abruptly stopped at the visuals.

Oh, and it runs at 23fps too! I wish I could understand why every Unity game is unoptimized beyond hell.

• A Wanderer says:

It’s truly fascinating how awfully most Unity games run.

15. Captain Narol says:

Warbands Bushido

Strongly recommanded to all fans of tactics game and skirmish wargamers. I’m about to reach level 16, which will allow me to have 8 units in my warband. 6 vs 6 units are already quite challenging and strategical, can’t wait to unlock the 8 vs 8.

Magic Duels Origins

I had an itch to go back to Magic after a long break (I was a devoted player when the original game came out, doing tournaments etc), I hesitated between that one and MTG Online, but Duels is Free-To-Play so it should be a good way to get me back on the saddle…

Football Manager 2017

Playing 7 teams myself (one game day by real day) and editing the game in real time to include the real world transferts, so it’s like a mirror of the real football world. Let’s see if I can bring Nottingham Forrest in Premiership in that Alternate Reality !!

Crusader Kings II

Let’s quick the mongols out of my glorious Russian Empire (from Germany to India) before the Aztecs arrive ! Also trying to put a Capet back on the France throne and to turn Egypt to the Zikri faith, just for the fun…

• malkav11 says:

You might also try Hex: Shards of Fate. I apologize for constantly evangelizing this thing but it doesn’t seem to be getting the mainstream attention it should be, and if you’re a lapsed Magic player I think you’ll find the general course of play familiar enough to get to grips with readily while quite possibly being really excited by the enormously expanded design space they’re working with and the vastly more robust singleplayer side. (I certainly have been.) And from what I hear it’s a lot more competently managed and put together than Magic Online, although to be fair I’ve never played the latter. Certainly cheaper per pack, though.

Or you might not. But hey, no harm trying, right?

• ButteringSundays says:

I ended up returning Bushido because I found the battles immediately repetative, and they hinge so much on luck you might as well just be playing heads or tails.

Maybe I missed something? I like hex-grid combat strategy games – but I didn’t really feel like there was much room for actual strategy.

• Captain Narol says:

Bushido gets more tactical when your warband grows and you get a bigger choice of units/cards.

I won’t deny that the 3 vs 3 battles you get at start are often decided by the luck of the dice, but in the bigger engagements you get at higher level it’s usually the best tactician who wins and you have to take advantage of all the specificities of the map to get the edge.

16. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Battlefield 1 it is. I’m having as much fun in a Battlefield game as I have had since bad company 2. And the bally thing works, by jove. Even the winkling net code. Makes one speak all English officer class, what. Think I’ll grow a handsome pencil mustache and show the Bosch who’s top dog. Tally ho!

• Mi-24 says:

Do you shout “Charge Men! Huzzah!” as you run over the top of the trenches, die to an mg and realise nobody followed you?

legit WW1 simulator.

• A Wanderer says:

COME ON APES, YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER ?

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I think that’s why I love it so much, the mad, last minute, everyone piling over the top dash to capture a rush objective before time out seems wholly appropriate to the comic book WW1 setting. So yes, for God, King and Country men! Over the top we bally well go! Huzzah!

17. Mi-24 says:

I’m playing “go back to uni, hastily finish that assignment I didn’t do and cry over the fact that I haven’t got time for all the games acquired over Christmas”.

I got lego star wars the force awakens but I’ve made a vow not to play it until after I have watched the DVD of FA i got for christmas (yes I have already seen it at the cinema).

Also Jalopy which is charming but I would rather there was a little more to do in it’s world or, you know a road with actual junctions in it? but it is lovely.

18. caff says:

Just finished Glittermitten Grove, utterly brilliant. The game deserves a cult following on a place like RPS. I’m already missing my fairie village. I’m tempted to leap back in again.

I’ll probably play a few small games in my backlog – I have lots of games starting with ‘O’ that I need to look at – Oneshot, Owlboy, Oxenfree (again) and Orwell.

19. Frank says:

Played Pony Island thanks to John’s year-end recommendation.

I wanted to like it, but found I hated it. (I’ve got no beef if you liked it, recommended it, sold it or made it… just giving my opinion here.)

It reminds me of throwaway flash games I’d find on kongregate. It toys around with references to modern-game-industry things, and then puts in a grindy game with a weird control scheme for filler and laffs at the player’s expense.

It seems to think it’s part of a conversation about games and their development, but I don’t buy it. Tossing around some references to these things doesn’t really rise to the level of commentary. Even if it were effective commentary, I could certainly do without it, since none of what they’re calling out shows up in games I like, and I don’t really care too much if they show up in the latest mainstream games (your GTAs, phone Peggles or whatever). So, anyway, yeah, not for me. Beginner’s Guide was more my speed. It was actually making commentary, and what it had to say even went beyond passing concerns of current mainstream games.

The puzzly bits were okay, but it looks like the dev didn’t have confidence enough in them to make them into a game on their own, or perhaps was too taken with the rapturous praise given to their game-jam version of PI to spin it off. The dev’s next game, the Hex, looks promising, anyway.

• The Bitcher III says:

Right with you on Pony Island. I had one reasonable session with it but never went back. The best bit was the first part – fixing the broken system required just a touch of ingenuity. After then, solutions were kind of telegraphed. The meta-stuff started a bit early, perhaps because the pony sections didn’t constitute a believable ‘real game’ (or an interesting one). Maybe that’s why I didn’t find the story that interesting.

Once you get the controls for the pony, there didn’t seem to be any challenge to it. But you could say that of so many games these days. Old fogey here remembers when finishing a game used to be quite a big deal. Now it’s an absolute certainty, if you put enough time in. Seems to me that most games’ difficulty generally remains constant throughout the game. If the gamer is actually trying to learn how to play well, I’d go so far so to say it often decreases, relatively speaking.

20. stuw23 says:

I’ve decided that, after almost 850 hours of play, I should probably try and finish off the achievements for Civ 5, so that I can finally say I’m done with it. So, I’m working through those. It’s chiefly the scenarios I have left to do, and gosh, some of them really are awful. The Samurai Invasion scenario (Korea) really emphasizes just how awful war in Civ 5 can be, moving one unit after another. But, I’m getting there! I beat the Mongol scenario on Deity this morning, and I’m pretty chuffed about that.

I’m also playing Stellaris, and I think I’ve hit a roadblock. It’s my first proper game of it, so only 3 other empires, and I turned fallen empires off. I’m aiming for a peaceful win, and one of the other AI nations has joined my federation. The trouble is, the other two are xenophobe isolationists, and *everyone* is pacifist. So, I’m a bit stumped as to how I can move forward. I may need to abandon my peaceful aims, ditch my federation buddies (who are weaker than me anyway), and start some wars. I’ll have to wait a long time to do that though, as I changed my war stance to be able to form my federation. Or maybe I should just start over. It’s been fun though! I put off picking it up for a long, long time after bouncing really hard off CK2, but I’m glad I caved in and purchased it.

Also dipping in and out of Kingdom Rush Frontiers, for when I want some tower defence fun. I like the light-hearted tone of the game, and am enjoying it more than I did the original Kingdom Rush.

21. TekknoTroll says:

I think I’ll be spending most of my game time in Mechwarrior Online again. Just can’t seem to put it down lately.

• magogjack says:

MWO for life…..racked up 720 hours since october 2015…..still tier 3 QQ

22. rahji says:

I will spend some time with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 during the night after the hard work of the day is done.

23. TehK says:

For some reason, a friend of mine got me back into Heroes of the Storm. Well, actually I’m not going “back” into the game as I wasn’t in it yet. But somehow I’m enjoying it an aweful lot, so I’m going to get my heroes to level 5 so I can play some ranked matches with her :)

• magogjack says:

Of all the Hero Arena games, this is the easiest to have fun with.

24. Carra says:

Finished Hitman a few days ago. It reminds me a lot of blood money, in a good way. I probably should play some more of it to see some of the alternative kills but got so many other games to play…

I’ve started playing Kathy Rain. I enjoy playing a good, old adventure game from time to time. Finished the first day and it’s really good so far. Kathy has some charm and the puzzles were all logical.

• sillythings says:

I finished Kathy Rain over the holidays! Definitely enjoyed my time with it. One puzzle had me stumped (for a, in my opinion, stupid reason), but other than that it was a really fun little mystery.

25. dangermouse76 says:

BROFORCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I have been playing Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor which I had initially written off but after a hearing a few people recommend it I picked it up in the Steam sale. Enjoying it despite having to start a new game twice because of a glitch. Thankfully the devs have provided a save file that will get you up to where the game breaks. Definitely the best music I’ve heard in a game all last year.

Also playing Watch Dogs 2 on my new PS4. Haven’t gotten into it very far but it seems alright so far. I am trying to do the missions only hacking as much as possible. Still murdering people because am I supposed to not make steam pipes explode on the middle of the street? My personal explanation is that when Marcus is going on a rampage he is really at Dedsec HQ daydreaming.

27. AutonomyLost says:

I’ll be playing the hell out of The Binding of Isaac, as I only just now picked up the game upon the release of Afterbirth+. First time ever, and I am somewhat addicted.

Also, most likely Furi (so good) and maybe beating DOOM on U-V finally in order to give the hardest difficulty a go. It’s a lovely cold and dreary weekend outdoors, perfect for gaming.

28. fish99 says:

Still plugging away at Dishonored 2, 47 hours in (playing stealthy non-lethal Corvo) and just finished the Aramis Stilton mansion, where there was surprisingly little cheese. I think Corvo is up to 40 stone now.

Interesting level though. It’s not that the mechanic was new, but I haven’t seen it done in first person and real-time quite like that before. Also the ‘thing’ that happens certainly threw me for a minute. Must have been a challenging level to make.

Played a bit of Viscera Cleanup Detail too, fun chill game.

29. Kaeoschassis says:

After basically a year of waiting for it to get cheaper (not that I didn’t feel it was worth full price, I’m just poor and/or a miser), I finally caved and bought Nuclear Throne. So I’m playing that this weekend. I may never NOT be playing it…

30. geldonyetich says:

Forgive me, for I have sinned and played a non-PC game this weekend, Xenoblade Chronicles X. Aside from that, probably more EDF 4.1, or Divinity: Origin Sin, or something. I don’t know. :P

31. malkav11 says:

Probably a lot more Hex. I’m on a kick.

But I dunno beyond that. I kind of purposefully tapered off my gaming going into the holidays because I wouldn’t be around my gaming PC and I have yet to get back into anything other than Hex. I have Dishonored 2 and Tyranny and could pick Arkham City back up again, so hopefully one or all of those?

32. Imbecile says:

Dark souls 3. Stumbling around the cathedral level, which is managing to disorientate me a fair bit. Its good though.

33. parsley says:

I’m fiddling about in Starbound. Crafting games aren’t typically my style, but the rest of my family is hooked and I promised I would try it. So far, the music is nice, and very lovely things keep trying to murder me.

34. lylebot says:

I’m sure I got a lot of good video game and PC-related Christmas gifts while I was growing up, but the one that really stands out was the year my mom gave me Ultima VII: Serpent Isle. I didn’t ask for it, I wasn’t super into Ultima (had only ever played Ultima VI, and only to muck around in the world, not play properly), and she wasn’t like a video-game-picking savant or anything. But I loved it, and went on to buy and play Ultima VII: The Black Gate, which I loved even more, and I would say probably remains my favorite game of all time. How she picked it I do not know, but it stays with me to this day.

35. The Bitcher III says:

After near enough 6 months of not finding anything able to hold my interest for more than five minutes, hopping from genre to genre, AAA to sub-indie – I’ve cracked it:

Fez. Puzzles, codes and mythos in an super interesting world.

This led me to revisit The Witness, which I bounced off back in January. Don’t know what went wrong there, because last night’s session was like experiencing the sort of dream I dream about. GTX 1080 and ultrawide helps. Puzzles are fine, downright good in places….but the best bit is exploring that fabulous world. I like the art direction so much. Almost cell shading. I wish more mainstream games ditched
    the attempts to appear real. One of the things I liked about The Witcher 3’s art direction was the subtle ways the world was built from very sound artistic methods.

I’m pretty wired tonight, so I’ve got Dirt Rally lined up. Rally sims have always had a place in my heart. I don’t fancy spending a lot of time upside down in ditches, but I’m Quietly hopeful that I’ll remember some of these stages.

My major flaw on tarmac sims is I am a bit to fond of aggressive lines in certain corners – routinely travelling sideways for a bit of exit speed, before ending up dropping down the pack due to ruined tyres. But when it comes to Rally, I’m usually far too conservative and don’t flick it about enough. Stupid brain. After 40 years, it still doesn’t listen to me.

36. sillythings says:

I’ve been replaying Dishonored (only my second playthrough, I usually don’t replay stuff too often). The first time, I did a Clean Hands run, this time I tried to do a High Chaos run. It took me a while to get into it. The playstyle just felt very at odds with how I usually approach games like this, but I figured I’d already seen the game from a stealth approach (even if it has been four years). Eventually though, I did settle into having a lot of fun finally getting to use all the powers and weapons for real, not just in short bursts where I’d get frustrated at being discovered one too many times, before reloading and trying again.
    What stuck out to me was that in the Flooded District, in high chaos an entire side mission is missing. I’d known there would be more weepers and rats and Emily would be negatively influenced, but I hadn’t known about this, so I was really surprised and impressed by it.

The Dunwall City Trials were pretty fun! I’m certainly not gonna try and go for any achievements, so imperfect non-3-star-ratings it is. Why bother with the frustration, because the difficulty of getting the achievements really seems to be people’s main issue with the DLC from what I’ve seen. Kind of an interesting observation, there…

And just now, I finished the first mission with Daud. Really enjoying it so far, the story feels more interesting and the level itself was great too. I somehow ended up with 4 people dead even though I was going for a Clean Hands run again (oh, the irony, after playing Corvo violently). At least I got Ghost… So maybe that’s what this run is going to turn into now? Hmm.

• Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

I love the Dishonored campaign, but the DLC is even better. Arkane really did a great job.

37. AutonomyLost says:

Ah, also downloaded Invisible, Inc. on a whim a couple hours ago and just made my way through the tutorial. Seems great so far. I’ve always read good things about this one, but haven’t been in the mood to play it until now.

38. simont says:

I am going old school, playing Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War – Game of the Year Edition

yapper says:

Titanfall 2. The only other multiplayer shooters that have ever gripped me this much are TF2 and various iterations of Tribes

40. drewski says:

Hearthstone, Spelunky, the Guardian of Light Tomb Raider thingy, and trying to finally finish off the first Stalker.

41. Hardlylikely says:

Bloodborne on the not-PC while the PC is unavailable for gaming. I am learning Qubes OS and eventually trying to get Windows and Mac OS VMs running at the same time. It’s much easier to do this by making it my daily driver, hence no PC gaming for a little while. First time through Bloodborne and it’s amazing, so not feeling any hardship.

Come to think of it I may end up playing ‘install Steam under a dedicated Linux gaming VM’ tonight just to see how that goes.

pertusaria says:

Playing Machinarium, having never got through it back closer to its release (part difficulty, part having saves eaten by the wrong browser settings plus Flash). The music and environments are gorgeous, as usual with Amanita, and most of the puzzles are head-scratchers rather than infuriating thus far.

pertusaria says:

…and finished, with a lot of help from hints and my partner (nice to be wrestling with adventure game puzzles together again). Great game, worth getting through it after all this time, but their other games don’t miss the arcade-y interludes.

43. Chaoslord AJ says:

Finally started Skyrim SE and… I miss Script Extender and SkyUI terribly.
    Vanilla faces are ugly but that could be fixed more or less at least.
    All in all performance and stability have improved by much.
    Maybe “a few” rounds of Isaac later.

44. dogwaddle says:

Finishing up the Witcher 3 Blood and Wine expansion. Starting to get into Total War: Attila. Not sure which faction I should play first after finishing the prologue.

45. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Too many hours of Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms, Third Age, Divide And Conquer (that is: game/expansion/mod/submod).

I got Med II in a humble bundle in autumn 2015 and I have over 500 hours put into it according to Steam. That’s.. quite a bit.

46. nitric22 says:

I took the same route as Graham and did a massive Steam uninstall last month to make way for Winter Sale action and encourage myself to actually play games rather than click through 50+ titles in a spectacle of grand indecision for half an hour. During said sale I snagged up Firewatch and ATS. So it’s been a combo of walking simulator and driving simulator action of late.

47. Girshwin says:

I am playing Gary Grigsby’s War in the East, where I have taken and held Moscow and Leningrad through winter 1941 and look forward to 100s of more hours before I can finish one dang game. I played my last game of Solforge, starring Iniog, Carrion Demon, my favorite card. I am also booting up a newly modded Fallout 4 after being disappointed in a modless first go-round.