Dive! Dive! Dive! Diluvion surfacing in February

“Get in the ‘flipping’ sea!” some folks in 2015 would shout, because they’d seen someone funnier than themselves do it. But have you been in the ‘flipping’ sea? Mate, the sea is ‘flipping’ lovely. Whether one’s gentling drifting away or pummelled by the surf, it’s always better where it’s wetter. By which I mean, of course I’ve kept an eye on deep sea explore-o-fight ’em up Diluvion [official site]. It may have missed a few release windows but now Diluvion has a release date–February 2nd–and surely developers Arachnid Games aren’t so cruel as to deny people the sea after this display of specificity?

Diluvion, right, is set in a flooded future world. As a submarine captain, we’ll get to build a crew, upgrade subs, and head out into the deep dark on a grand quest. Expect strange sights, treasure, trading, limited food and oxygen, and a good few fights. It’s partially inspired by space combat games like Wing Commander and Freelancer, in the same way that ’90s submarine games often were (I still fondly remember Archimedean Dynasty).

I do really like the scale of some of its undersea nasties, as well as the cute 2D style it switches to when you’re looking inside settlements or your sub. Here, have a gander in this new trailer:

Diluvion will cost £14.99 when it hits Windows and Mac via Steam and GOG on February 2nd.

From this site

1. Kefren says:

The thing with the older games was that they were first-person perspectives – this trailer only seems to show third third-person action, which feels quite different, more gamey than immersive. I can imagine it being much scarier if a behemoth looms out of the dark right into your porthole than when you’re distant from your ship and it is more like toys battling.

• Kefren says:

The music wasn’t the kind of thing I can listen to either, but that’s obviously personal preference, others might love it.

Talking of deep sea games, I tried Iron Fish recently. Great atmosphere and it looked lovely, but the game itself was rather clunky.

2. EgoMaster says:

I was a fan of Archimedean Dynasty too (its sequels under the title Aquanox, not so much but they were OK). Anyhoo, the trailer got me excited. I wish there was a cockpit view but it certainly looks atmospheric.

• slerbal says:

I loved Archimedean Dynasty too. I think the rapid, space fighter, movement and 3rd person perspective in this game don’t really work for me. Also the 2d view seems odd somehow.

If the reviews are good I’ll pick it up. Sadly the quotes in the video all felt a bit speciously hollow to me. I don’t like descriptions being used as review quotes.

3. LauraMatthew says:

Inspired by the imaginative works!
    link to canadaessaywriting.com

4. Weremoo says:

Maybe it’s the music, the 3rd person colourful combat, or the ‘wander over the place being a privateer’ but I’m getting a strong Rebel Galaxy vibe from this.

…which is awesome, because Rebel Galaxy is one of my favourite games to boot up, grab my Steam controller and just idly wander around the galaxy shooting peeps!

Captain Narol says:

I still have wonderful memories too of Archimedean Dynasty…

Maybe I’ll give this one a try, but I don’t get the influence of Dark Souls they mention in the trailer : does this mean it’s difficult and punishing ?

6. Menthalion says:

Archimedean Dynasty, Sub Culture, Subway 2050, they don’t make them like they used to. Hoping this will have the same vibe, loved those games.

7. Zenicetus says:

This doesn’t have an undersea Wing Commander or Freelancer vibe without a cockpit-based view, like Archimedean Dynasty had.

Why doesn’t anyone make cockpit-focused games in this genre any more? If they can be revived in space with Elite:D and (maybe) Star Citizen, then someone should do it underwater. Well, I guess Subnautica comes close, but I’d like a campaign game with combat.

Anyway, this does look a bit interesting regardless, so I’ll wait for some reviews.

• Scrofa says:

The new Aquanox Deep Descent looks very promising and it’s a cockpit game.

• unacom says:

[grunts approvingly]
        looks interesting. will keep an eye on it.

8. dylan says:

Is underwater the new outer space?

Prediction: In three years, Call of Duty will have moved underwater, and critics will harrumph at its uninspired use of the setting.

john_silence says:

In a recent Steam sale I bought Tales From the Void, seems like a good place to plug that in. Haven’t played it yet, so this is not a recommendation, but anyone interested in Diluvion should take a peek.