Back of the net! Rocket League has 25 million players

I’ve seen some big numbers in my day–I’m not boasting, but check this biggun: 8008135–and while I’m generally cool and collected in the presence of big numbers, I did mutter “flipping heck!” at the belter I’ve just seen in the company of Rocket League [official site]. 25 million players have carballed, developers Psyonix announced today, racking up over a billion matches between them. Those are big numbers for any game, let alone the follow-up to a PS3-exclusive game about sentient cars playing football. Good numbers, you lot. I mean, I’ve known bigger numbers–80081357, for starters–but that’s still some great numbering.

I’m not surprised that it’s popular, seeing as Rocket League was our favourite game of 2015 as well as one of Steam’s dozen highest-grossing games of 2016, but hearing it’s quite this big is grand news. I’m always glad to see futuresports admired widely.

Psyonix have put together a picture with some extra numbers and those squiggly % signs to break down how popular different modes are. Competitive is top, obvs.

The numbers are shared across all platforms, of course, but as PC players can carball with PlayStationeers and Xboners we’re all winners here. Well done, everyone.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Those digits certainly are large, Alice. Unfortunately they’re still not Numberwang.

• givemefreestuff says:

4, 6 and 2.4.

• Serrit says:

Hah yes came down here to check at least someone mentioned Numberwang. Thanks Del (and of course Alice to pointing us to such a sighting in the wild as a number that dares to venture into the barren wastelands past 24,999,999)

2. trjp says:

Surely the number Alice seeks is 5318008 as the trick is to turn the calculator upside-down?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Dolly Parton’s boobs weighed 69 pounds which is 222 big. She went to 51st street to see doctor X. She had 8 operations which left her…

• Alice O'Connor says:

8008135 is the bigger number, though. And our course I speak fluent 1337.

• wackazoa says:

Clicked on the article to see if this joke was made. Was not disappointed.

3. fish99 says:

The game definitely benefited from being on PS+ early on, so a bunch of people got it for ‘free’ and probably tried it out of curiosity.

Not saying it’s not awesome btw.

4. AutonomyLost says:

I JUST gave in and downloaded this game a few nights ago. God damn it is fun, and I now have a real sense of how the skill ceiling is seemingly stratospheric. I’m still goofing around in the free training arena, just practicing up; I don’t want to get owned and demoralized out of the gate! I’ll get in there soon though.

5. slpk says:

Been playing it since early on. Still really bad at aerials.

• wackazoa says:

I just recently bought it. I havent had the courage to play anything other than bots, because I really suck. I play with a gamepad, I know Im a heretic, and I always flip the wrong way. And dont even get me started on aerials. I quit the tutorial because I just cant do them. I start ok but always veer off wildly and end up nosediving into the ground. I am having a blast though.

• caff says:

Over 1000 hours played and I can still barely hit the ball mid-air. But I still get a giddy feeling of “YESSSSS” or “NOOOOO” during the highs and lows of a match. The skill cap is so high and it’s so brilliantly simple.