Torment: Tides of Numenera interactive trailer posts questy questions

Torment: Tides of Numenera [official site] will pose such intriguing questions as “What’s in a monster’s guts?” and “How badly do you want to know what is in a monster’s guts?” That’s the lesson I’m taking away from a new ‘interactive’ trailer for Torment, which shows the possible paths through one simple quest in inXile’s upcoming Planescape-y RPG. That may be the lesson you take out of it–“there are quests with weird things and a variety of approaches”–but for me, nope, it’s all about the guts. Here, come have a fake playthrough of the quest yourself.

Yes, via the magic of YouTube you can click on options to choose what you would do at the quest’s branching points. Be sure to have annotations turned on, and do be aware that it may not work on pocket telephones.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is coming on February 28th. It’s actually been in early access since January 2016 but I’ve been happy waiting for the full game to come out, complete and polished, before having a peek. Reading about Cobbo’s time with the early beta convinced me that was the correct decision. Though it did leave me ignorant of monster guts. Swings and roundabouts.

1. Esin12 says:

Hmm. I think I’m starting to get pretty excited about this game. I was a little skeptical at first considering the shoes they’re attempting to fill, but the general atmosphere and lore seems pretty awesome.

2. Longestsprout says:

Now this is what I call smart advertising.

3. Beefsurgeon says:

I got erection.

4. Horg says:

Narrator: ”…..lie and claim that you are, or tell the truth and deny any attachment to the order.”

Horg: ”Well, this guy is a sort of cultish scientist, so he’s probably got some brains up there, and some weird ass powers. Better not risk pissing him off. Truth it is.”

Narrator: ”You told the truth. No quest for you!”

Horg: (Glares silently)

5. criskywalker says:

Now this is a game that seems to get choice and consequence right!

6. Gorgonos says:

The monster’s name, Nychthemeron, is a greek word. It’s an adverb, the literal translation of which is “night and day”, meaning all the time. If you do something nychthemeron (νυχθημερόν) you do it 24/7.

Doesn’t add much to what the video is about and it’s certainly not a hype-builder kind of thing, but I thought somebody might find it interesting :)

7. Yglorba says:

> Torment: Tides of Numenera will pose such intriguing questions as “What’s in a monster’s guts?” and “How badly do you want to know what is in a monster’s guts?”

And also “what can change the nature of a monster’s guts?”

8. Halk says:

Without the coop feature of the old Infinity Engine this game is pretty unappealing.

9. El Mariachi says:

A billion years from now the Earth will still exist, not yet having been consumed by our soon-to-be orange red giant, but most likely no longer have any liquid water to speak of.

link to phys.org

10. mercyRPG says:

Easily the best game inXile ever did after the amazing top notch, MUSTPLAY The Bard’s Tale! This was made by a team of Real Game Developers, very different from ridiculously demented unplayable Wasteland 2 and that InstaFire Cannonfodder bunch of loosers, who committed that W2 sacrilege.