The Foxer

Warm-Up Foxer (Who am I?)

I have a verb for a surname. I was born in the year Man Utd won the FA Cup for the first time. I was an accomplished ivory tickler. I hit the headlines in the month Bonnie and Clyde died. I wanted to be alone. I was killed by a dog. I had two airliners named after me.

Main Feature Foxer (Identify the collage theme)

* * * * *

Last Week’s Hive Foxer

Theme: violins (defoxed by Little_Crow)

PEGBOX (Little_Crow)
MENUHIN (Little_Crow)
GOW (Little_Crow)

From this site

1. AFKAMC says:

Avia B-534 top right

2. Shiloh says:

The grizzled looking gent is famed abolitionist John Brown.

Gang of one says:

ARP helmet on left middle
    Icon bottom right was for Ghost Recon, I think

4. Shiloh says:

The tin hat is a WW2 air raid warden’s helmet I believe.

5. Gothnak says:

The credit card is one of the first ever diner’s club issued to Alfred Bloomingdale:
    link to loungebuddy.com

• Gothnak says:

He ran Bloomingdale’s and was an advisor to Reagan… Also had an affair with a model who was assassinated if any of that helps.

6. Little_Crow says:

I guess the map is from ‘The Three Investigators’ written by Robert Arthur Jr.

It was originally published as ‘Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators’

All a guess from it saying ‘Skeleton Island’ quite prominently

7. Shiloh says:

Warm up Foxer: Are you Jean Batten, famous Kiwi aviatrix?

• Little_Crow says:

Nicely done, I found an article about her related to her google ‘doodle’.

Should have twigged an aviator would have had airliners named after her and investigated further.

phuzz says:

Finally found that flying boat (top left). It’s a Supermarine Southampton, original pic here.

9. Little_Crow says:

Bottom right is just a ‘Grey’ alien – The picture used is from the Wiki article:
    link to en.wikipedia.org

10. Shiloh says:

The traction engine is Taskers of Andover’s “Little Giant”, a.k.a “Willow The Wisp” or “Hero”, pic taken at Shugborough Hall in 2008.

phuzz says:

The island behind John Brown is Curaçao, (which in my head is linked to Blue Curaçao, a particularly horrible liqueur who’s only use is to make a cocktail blue).

12. Shiloh says:

I wonder if all this is somehow linked to the RMS Queen Mary – she accidentally sank her own escort HMS Curacao in 1942 and was built in John Brown’s Shipyard on the Clyde.

13. phlebas says:

Could the link be Queen Mary?
    Cunard’s liner the Queen Mary was constructed at John Brown’s shipyard and in 1942 it collided with HMS Curaçao.
    TASKER produced the Queen Mary trailer.
    Lady Jane GREY was succeeded (and executed) by Queen (Bloody) Mary.

Comment on this story