What are we all playing this weekend?

How’s the future working out for you, anyway? It’s a mixed bag all right, isn’t it? Some good, some good. Seems to keep on rolling by itself. We said that about the past too but, y’know, the future is meant to be more futuristic. Still, we are nicely on track for 2018, when the bloodsport of Rollerball is due to be invented. And there’s still a load of cracking stuff in this so-called future, isn’t there? Go on, tell us: what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: This weekend I’m playing A SECRET THING. I’ll be able to tell you more next week. There’s a very good chance I’ll spend the evenings with The Long Dark though because it’s far too cold to go into the real outdoors.
Alec: I will be playing ‘staring at my Switch pre-order invoice and trying to decide if I’ve done the right thing. I don’t have time to play games for fun! What the hell is wrong with me?
Alice: Obviously, absolutely, I shall continue to play the new Binding of Isaac expansion. I’ve perhaps been a bit too focused on unlocking new things so I’ll try to roll on through, nice and easy, sleazy. Ongoing patches have fixed a lot of my grumbles so yes, smashing, keep on weeping you cheeky babies.
Brendan: I want to catch up on some of this year’s IGF nominations that I’ve missed. Hyper Light Drifter, 1979 Revolution, Virginia, Orwell… There’s a lot of them. I don’t know what the collective noun for many indie games is. A sprite of games? A shader of games? An IGF of games?
Graham: Everyone is talking about the Nintendo Switch, but I’m unsure still if there’s a place in my life for it. I did dig my old DS out of a drawer over Christmas though, and have been picking up some of the apparently-best games for it that I missed first time around. That means this weekend might be spent with Zelda: Spirit Tracks or Kirby: Canvas Curse or The World Ends With You. I’m not sure yet.
John: [I gave John another chance to retain his job, but here we are again. Fired. He’s outta here.]
Philippa: Having played the game of “Which country is my luggage in?” earlier this week I will now be playing the games of “How can I Tetris all of this laundry into my washing machine without accidentally disappearing all the socks?” and “HOW IS THERE STILL MORE LAUNDRY TO DO WHY DO I HAVE SO MANY FEET AND ARMS UPON WHICH TO WEAR CLOTHES”.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. svge says:

Bloodborne of course! Can’t wait for Nioh either!

• gabrielonuris says:

I envy you. You monster.

I wish I could play that too, but we still live in a world of exclusives…

Maybe an emulator? Maybe someday there will be a PS4 emulator…

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

It’s beastly, isn’t it. If only publishers had more insight

• welverin says:

They do, but when the publisher is also a platform maker they are dis inclined to share.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

If only PC got exclusive games as well. :(

• Kitsunin says:

Well, as an open environment, PC gets exclusives for a good reason, though. If exclusives were to become no longer a thing, it would be impossible for it to be for any reason other than that all games are PC games.

AutonomyLost says:

Just ordered Nioh myself last night! Genuinely excited to get it and get punished. Also, good call on Bloodborne. Great game.

• nanotechnics says:

I’m also looking forward to Nioh, hopefully it’s as awesome as it looks.

2. Lord_Reynardine says:

I’m so deep in a Stardew Valley hole that I can’t even think about anything else, which is good because my 4 week old daughter has designs on my time, and I don’t mind a bit. SV is the perfect gentle escapism needed when it all gets a bit much.

3. Agnosticus says:

I’m going full on competitive: Rocket League and R6:Siege…addictive stuff!

Also throughing in some Super House of Dead Ninjas and hopefully some Shadow Tactics

4. hoho0482 says:

Bought a proper gaming pc and ultra wide monitor before Xmas. Somehow fooled me into playing big graphically pretty AAAs. Feeling cheating. So downwell and orcs and whatever looks good in the new humble bundle (all of them I think).

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I love that moment, a fortnight after spending wads of cash on a new PC/monitor, that the wife walks past, pauses, frowns, “You paid all that money to play this!?”, and walks away leaving you to Undertale, Downwell or something similar.

5. Mi-24 says:

I appear to have started playing same game as pip, because I thought “the limiting factor on how often i have to wash my clothes is the number of socks” so bought more socks, meaning now when I have to do the washing there is a very large amount of it indeed.

I’ve been getting more into enter the gungeon, able to get to the second floor more regularly but never been able to beat the boss.

In another note this week I started and finished Tales from the Borderlands. I’m actually really sad now, having to say goodbye to the characters I got to know really well (and the best written romance I’ve seen in a videogame), despite the fact the ending was happyish. I actually find myself rewatching the intro cutscenes for each of the episodes. It has made me replay borderlands 2 a bit so thats fun.

• welverin says:

Reminds me of a story my friend told me. When he was in college he knew someone who didn’t like doing laundry, specifically socks and underwear, so during the semester . When he went home at the end he made his mother wash them and then he didn’t have to wash them during the semester.

• Sin Vega says:

I’ve known several grown men who did this. If I had a son and they did that, I’d move house and not tell the little bollocks. Have some bloody self respect, boy.

6. Chaoslord AJ says:

Skyrim SE again, 50+ mods and still somewhat stable, I’m glad they ported it to x64. Already ported the most important mods it lacked like the Madoka soundtrack.
    After that back to some quest-based Minecraft.

7. ThePeon26 says:

Im replaying Dragon age then I will play dragon age II before inquisition also playing FF15 and trying to beat the DLC on Dragons dogma.

8. Spacewalk says:

Apparently I have spent 108 hours 33 minutes playing Dragon’s Dogma so far and I’ve only done 5 playthroughs which is pathetic, it should be at least 8. So I shall continue.

• nanotechnics says:

I’ve seen some people play Dragon’s Dogma a lot, how is it?. I know someone who has played almost 800 hours of Dragon’s Dogma!

cairbre says:

Played rainbow 6 siege last night can’t decide what to play today. I will keep reading the comments for inspiration

10. gabrielonuris says:

Cognition, finishing episode 3 right now. Could you still believe there are still properly done point and click adventures nowadays? I mean, REAL point and click, with PUZZLES, not that overestimated “visual novel” we have nowadays called “interactive story” (yeah, fck you Telltale).

I’m still impressed how Cognition actually was able to bring new ideas to the genre with all the paranormal mechanics you have. And my god, what a thriller story. That game deserves an oscar.

• buschap says:

I haven’t played Cognition yet, but have you played Wadjet Eye’s games? They are old-school adventures with enough modern sensibilities to be playable.

11. zubbuz says:

I’m playing that ‘diagnosing what’s wrong with my rig’ game…

Currently appear to be playing on hardest difficulty…

• gabrielonuris says:

Don’t give up, I’m pretty sure there is no shock you can’t handle in your system.

Carra says:

I want to try catch up, missed a lot of good games from last year. Finished Kathy Rain & Hitman and started the latest Deus Ex game.

13. The Bitcher III says:

Was playing The Witness but am feeling a bit off… time for something a bit lighter… pick one of Terraria / Starbound / Stardew Crossing.

14. Faldrath says:

I’ve been on a steady gaming diet of Path of Exile, Forza Horizon 3 and Overwatch for a few weeks now, and I haven’t really felt any need for something different. Is this gaming nirvana? It very well could be.

15. ButteringSundays says:

Got XCOM2 in the latest Humble Monthly, and am loving it! What a fantastic game. I never played the first one and am now regretting that fact – it’s a game I was always aware of but clearly didn’t look into enough. I have a feeling having played 2 I wouldn’t get enough out of it now.

Whatever the other games are that drop with this month’s sub I already feel like I’ve got my money’s worth!

Also maybe Battle Brothers, which is what I was playing before XCOM2 (coincidentally as it happens), but it feels a bit anticlimactic in comparison now…

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Yeah, XCOM 1 would be a step back now, 2 adds so much. I wouldn’t worry though, other than that feeling of “oh, wow, they’ve changed up everything” you haven’t lost anything by jumping straight in.

• Aetylus says:

I’m having another play-through of Xcom2… its almost as good the second time around. Also some more Atlas Reactor (think Xcom meets online brawler). Plus some Transport Fever and Rimworld.

16. Captain Yesterday says:

I can tell you what I’m not playing this weekend. I picked up the Master of Orion reboot on the last day of the Steam winter sale, and I’m “taking a break” from it. I went in with low expectations and yet I was still disappointed. Reading about the new features Paradox will be adding to Stellaris didn’t help either.

This weekend I think I’m going to go through my library, pick out a fantasy title I haven’t played in a while. I have over a hundred hours in Original Sin without actually having finished it, so I might give that another go. Either that or Age of Wonders III.

17. Morcane says:

Mostly reading about games, not playing them. I’m in a lull, and kind of bored with gaming at the moment. Gives me loads of time to do stuff around the house!

18. CartonofMilk says:

nothing i haven’t played plenty before so

Elite Dangerous
    Rimworld
    WWE 2k16

i need a new game that makes me want to play 12 hours a day.

• Jediben says:

I have hit a Rimeorld wall where my resources are now depleted and the Director is just throwing ever escalating raids at my 9 man colony. Very repetitive and ultimately unfulfilling. Assuming the only end game scenario is “get off the planet” I don’t think the investment is worth it. E:D is calling though (irony, thy name is weekend gaming).

19. rahji says:

I started Dark Souls 2 this week, so I will play that a bit further. Just hit the second boss and he is a real progress-stopper. Already summoned an ally but it was not even close. Well, that is Dark Souls 2 I guess.

20. fish99 says:

Finished Dishonored 2 this week. Without getting into spoilers, while I think it’s solid, and a must-play for anyone that enjoyed the first game, I didn’t think it quite matched up. Dunwall was just a more interesting place I think, with memorable levels (the bridge, the flooded district, the lighthouse etc) and a lot more lore to read. Also Dunwall felt like a place dealing with a plague, whereas Karnaca didn’t. A few too many cramped levels in the sequel too.

Playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat now (with complete mod), which somehow I haven’t played before.

21. malkav11 says:

Definitely more Hex: Shards of Fate – I’ve hardly played much else this year so far. But I did dip a few hours into SWTOR and Dragon Age Inquisition last week and I may yet return to those. Unsubscribed from WoW finally though. Ultimately, I don’t feel like I can finish out the story quests because they force you into grouping in late stage Suramar but there’s nobody to group with, and having done all the World Quests I needed for the Pathfinder achievement I find myself not remotely compelled to keep doing them. And I’ve already got gear that’s as good or better than pretty much anything that’s going to drop in Dungeon Finder or Raid Finder, so now that I’ve done each dungeon and raid at least once through (apart from the mythic-only dungeons I don’t have access to yet because I can’t get that far in the storyline) there’s no incentive to do those ad infinitum either. I could probably futz around working on mounts from older expansions and getting Draenor Pathfinder finally, but I’d rather play other things and I’d just as soon cut my monthly costs a little as I stare down the barrel of a mortgage that’s going to be significantly higher than my current rent.

22. robertlepervers says:

Graham, play TWEWY please ! And sneak what you think at the end of an article !
    ’cause it seems to be the only way to talk about the dreadful non-PC master raaaace games in here. Until the website finally changes its editorial guidelines and allows all of you to write about whatever you fancy, be it Switch preorders or whether Mario is a human being.

23. lglethal says:

“What are we going to do this weekend, Brain?”
    “The same thing we do every weekend Pinky, try to finish Deus Ex: Mankind Divided!”

I think I’m getting near the end, and I’m having a great time with it, but I keep getting distracted by other games. Oh look XCOM 2 is on sale on Humble Bundle…

• Jediben says:

DX:MD is just impenetrable – so much fluff and walking about in sewers. Ugh.

GiantAssPanda says:

Titanfall 2 mainly. Currently downloading Hitman.

The Almighty Moo says:

I have done a significant amount of Stomping Roberts in Titanfall 2. It’s a pity that Origin puts so many people off it really, but there we are.

25. Kefren says:

I tried Skyrim for the first time, but the interface (especially for inventory) is making me so angry I have to keep quitting every five minutes. I find it so unintuitive that basic things just lead to frustration. Not sure if I can continue. Is there a mod that gives you a drag-and-drop interface like Morrowind or Might&Magic? Or am I the only one who enjoys that rather than endless lists and nested sub-menus?

• Minglefingler says:

Although I don’t think it’s quite what you’re looking for, SkyUI will make your life a lot easier, you’ll need SKSE installed to use it, there’s a link to that on the SkyUI Nexus page: link to nexusmods.com?

• Kefren says:

Thanks, I did look at that (and know many people swear by it) but it just looks like a spreadsheet pasted inside the interface I hate. I’m surprised no-one made a traditional drag-and drop inventory interface mod, maybe Skyrim isn’t easily moddable for things like that, or other people are comfier with the general inventory system. Perhaps I’ll uninstall Skyrim and just play STALKER again.

Lars Westergren says:

Technobabylon – it’s great.

Pillars of Eternity, also great.

Boardgame day with friends. Pillars of Eternity the boardgame, we love it. The only possibly questionable design decision is that people almost never attack each other’s cities, only go on quests. In order to punch through defenses you need all your heroes/troops, and then you are without defenses of your own. We also played Love Letter, 7 Wonders and Catan. We had one boardgame beginner with us, so we postponed our first playthrough of Scythe yet again.

teije says:

Technobabylon was a good little gem. Also liked Primordia.

Never knew there was a PoE boardgame! I’ll have to get that and play it with my son.

• magogjack says:

Technobabylon is so good, one of my favourite game worlds !
      I picked up Shardlight, Primordia, and Gemini Rue after finishing it. While they are all interesting none of them hooked me in the same way….I will have to get back to them at some point.

27. Minglefingler says:

After trying WOW again and being thoroughly bored for twenty levels I’ve given up on ever being able to see what other people love about the game. Final Fantasy XIV has got its hooks into me again and I suspect I’ll be staying in Eorzea for quite some time, just about to start Heavensward which I hear is a huge expansion. Aside from that, I may do few quests in Shadow Warrior 2 although it’s a lottery as to what sort of performance I get on it, often it’s a steady sixty fps but then the loading times start to creep up to five or ten minutes and I get a lot of stutter. Fun game though.

28. dawnmane says:

PIT PEOPLE!

29. Jonfon says:

“Stop the children playing Stardew Valley so I can play Grim Dawn” followed by “stop playing Grim Dawn cos the 6 year old insists on watching and there’s too much monsters-exploding-like-piñatas involved for my liking”.

Loving my retaliation build at the mo but I fear there’s gonna be a tipping point where the mobs become big bags of health and can take the misery theyre inflicting on themselves.

30. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Pony Island, which I just finished in a single sitting and now i feel a bit strange.

• Catterbatter says:

Same, though I haven’t finished it yet. I’d never felt like rolling the dice on Pony Island, but I couldn’t resist that bundle with DOTT and a Shantae game for peanuts. I feel like I got Pony Island for free. It’s fine!

31. geldonyetich says:

I have currently joined the ranks of the gamer dispossessed. So many games to play. So much indecision on what to play.

I am thinking maybe I ought to finish Mass Effect 3 before Mass Effect: Andromeda is released. To finish Mass Effect 3, I would like a Mass Effect 2 save to import. I lost mine, and my endgame suicide run had no fatalities and everything! So I tried to go back to play Mass Effect 2 and… wow, 7 years ago is a long time in terms of technology creep. At least the characters and in-engine cinematic presentation are still well above the norm.

I also can’t decide on what class to play. I am considering rolling Femshep this time because that might make the game feel newer to me (plus I can enjoy the fantastic voice work).

Similarly, I am thinking I ought to finish Divinity: Original Sin before the sequel is out, but I find this a lesser priority because I am not nearly as invested in the characters. The gameplay is much better than Mass Effect’s, though, which simply because more and more casual friendly as the series went on.

32. Ejia says:

I’ve just finished Oneshot, and I can see why John was raving about it. It’s lovely and clever and melancholy. I like it more than Undertale or Pony Island, two sort-of similar lo-fi meta-ish indie darlings of recent history.

Now I’m playing Axiom Verge. Not only is it a legit Metroidvania, you can be forgiven for thinking that it was a Metroid romhack. The first boss battle is against an giant alien cyborg anus, by the way.

teije says:

A few things. Was Subnautica but got too crashy so I’ll put that aside for awhile.

Trying out the WWI mod for Hearts of Iron IV – very impressive work by the modding team even though it’s still in Beta.

A bit of Long Dark, just to see the clothing changes, while coming on 50 days. Find I get more cautious the longer I keep alive.

Otherwise, maybe Sorcery 2, Judgement Apocalypse, Shardlight, a playthrough of Renowned Explorers. In a grazing kind of mood.

As for what I’m anticipating, it’s all about Torment. Sounding so good but I’m not touching it until fully released.

34. floogles says:

Dark souls 2 again. Over a month in now with 160hrs. Stuck in the iron passage, but beat Fume Knight last week! Only took 30 tries. Still loving this game.

35. Unsheep says:

Played some more Hybrid Wars and Brigador, … I’ve been in a Mech mood of sorts today. They’re fun games if you like vehicular combat and destructible environments.

Also some Tachyon The Fringe, GOG’s latest aquisition.

Starting a new championship in Automobilista on Sunday, not sure which event yet. Saving that for tomorrow.

The Almighty Moo says:

My word- Tachyon… thanks for the heads up that GOG has got it, I will have to revisit- never could finish the last good guys mission.

36. SoundDust says:

30 hrs in to The Witcher 3. I wasn’t a big fan of the second game, but this one is such an improvement on that. Even the combat is mostly enjoyable now.

Some of the quests are really well written – now playing the Bloody Baron quest and very impressed with the tension they’ve managed to build.

• dogwaddle says:

The story is a little too long but still good! Also if you really liked the story then the DLC is worth picking up.

37. dogwaddle says:

Working through my Total War Attila game as the Visigoths. I think I waited too long and now I can’t successfully settle down. So I am now running around a completely desolated Iberian Peninsula trying not to get annihilated by the five completely full Pict armies that are chasing me.

Other than that I am playing through Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen, which I picked up because of the “Have you played..” post. It has me confused because there is a lot I don’t like about it but for some reason I still like playing it and keep returning to it. Is it just me or does anyone else have a weird relationship with Dragon’s Dogma?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

That is everyone’s relationship with Dragon’s Dogma. There is so much jankyness to it but it has some of the best combat in an RPG, the spells are amazing, the big monster fights put almost every RPG to shame and it just has so much weirdness and charm. Like the Pawns, they act like 3 year old children but that totally fits in with what they are supposed to be: a mindless murder machine with the only purpose of aiding you.

Dragon’s Dogma is very much to me what Dark Souls was to a lot of people, a little known niche RPG that blew me away when I discovered it on my own.

Also the fact that you can carry your escort NPCs! Why has no other game stolen this? Or the fact that you can jump and climb and float around to anywhere on the map unlike most RPG heroes who are thwarted by the most heinous of enemies: a fence.

38. Creeping Death says:

Picked up Mirror’s Edge Catalyst cheap so currently trucking through that. It’s a bit naff really, isnt it? The worst approach to a sequel. Focusing more it seems on making things bigger regardless of if it makes the game better or not. I dont think anyone playing the original Mirror’s Edge thought “yeah, it’s good… but imagine if it had skill trees and an open world to backtrack through constantly!”.

Also started and finished Superhot this afternoon. That game’s fun. I’ll definitely be going back to the challenge missions.

And when it’s late at night and no one is around to witness me sin I play the odd bit of FF15 on my PeasantStation 4.

Ninja Dodo says:

I played Mirrors Edge Catalyst recently. It has problems definitely, but what was good about the original is still in there and there are a few improvements: traversal takedowns are a great addition, for example. The open world doesn’t really work though (see also: link to youtube.com): not enough choice in navigation (major areas only connected by a single path), illogical world construction, never feels like a real place, and somewhat flimsy side missions. The main missions and some of the optional ones are a lot of fun though and the movement still feels great.

Aitrus says:

Replaying Life is Strange, which I’d say is one of my top five games ever. Did Episode 2 last night. Not aiming to specifically make different choices to see how differently it plays out, just experiencing the game again, although I have made a few minor different choices.

It’s a little more awkward than I remember. It feels more flawed to me than it did when I was totally infatuated with it during my first playthrough. Obviously. Still hits me in all my teary spots, though.

40. Rainshine says:

Mount and Blade: Warbands. Picked it up from GoG in the fall and been playing off and on. To the point I have a decently trained force (10+ elite units), and I have a Poor village and two castle to my name, which gives enough weekly income to completely pay the wages of said army. Unfortunately, all three are wildly spread out and I keep having to try to race around defending them while wining and dining and courting and trying to keep the idiot marshal and king from losing the war.

And I just downloaded my 36 GB of DA:Origins, so maybe going back to that after a very long time. I suspect the combat is just as anger-inducing as I recall, but at least it has a pause button, unlike Witcher 1, which I’m also trying to finish for the first and only time. Still in the swamps.

Captain Narol says:

Warband has the best mods ever, I strongly recommand to give them a try :

If you like Warhammer Fantasy : Warsword Conquest

link to moddb.com

If you are into Lord of The Rings : The Last Days of The Third Age

link to moddb.com

If you are a fan of Game of Thrones : A Clash of Kings

link to moddb.com

Captain Narol says:

Warband has the best Total Conversion mods ever, I strongly recommand to give them a try :

Warsword Conquest (Total Conversion for Warhammer Fantasy), The Last Days of The Third Age (Total Conversion for Middle Earth), A Clash of Kings (Total Conversion for Game of Thrones)

41. nanotechnics says:

It was awesome to read the funny descriptions of what they will be playing by all writers of this website / blog.

I think i will be playing Tyranny and some Titanfall 2 multiplayer.

42. michelangelo says:

I’d like to cure myself from curse of neverending returns into Lordran. Those little visits, slicing through, listening players calling for help and enjoing helping again and again. Together with sadness of knowing every corner of such game )) It’s with me since PC release.

But it’s just short returns. Nights are long and recently filled with near end journey through Kentucky Route Zero and newly obtained Layers of Fear.

Can’t wait for more time to dive into first Thiefs and 2nd System Shock once again.

There is also giant pile of indies, experimental games and revealed Frog Frictions 2!

postscript: Where can I buy timemachine to cheat this, in my life absenting, currency?

43. McGuit says:

Well, for me more “Witcher 3″… over 400 hours in and closing in on what I think might be the end.
    Probably my favorite game of all time.

44. thinkforaminute says:

Chronicon – A fun little Diablo-like 2D game that pits you against a bazillion monsters. You start off with your stick, bow, or puny fists, but are soon flinging spells around at a dizzying pace.

45. Vickers says:

Morrowind, first playthrough. The only Elder Scrolls I’ve played to completion was Oblivion and I plan to do Skyrim Special Edition when I’m done. Morrowind is so fun, right now I’m trying to figure out how I can enchant some heavy guard armor I picked up in Mournhold so that it’ll be lighter because even though I maxed out strength a long time ago I can’t reasonably wear it without making some serious sacrifices in my inventory. If not I figure I’ll keep it in a house I took over and just pull it out for special heavy duty quests. (Or keep an arsenal of feather potions at all times).

In any case I think the best thing about Morrowind is it doesn’t hold your hand with quest markers and how every quest is unique.

Edski says:

I envy you being able to play Morrowind for the first time. It’s truly one of the richest video game experiences. Make sure to get a levitation spell and visit the mushroom wizards.

zinzan says:

Firstly playing drink LOTS of Mead, talk about lots of “important stuff”, commit to 3 weekends of Live rolePlay next year. Wake up regretting some of the above :)

then Play lots of my Combat Mission turns, stare at my Steam lists, sigh, close steam; go back and play MORE FTL :)

47. Kushiel says:

My plan was to keep playing Enter the Gungeon, but I’ve now hit a self-imposed goals deadline and failed to meet it. Specifically, I decided to uninstall the game if I hit 150 attempts or 40 hours without being able to regularly A) reach the fourth floor or B) flawlessly beat the floor one bosses. Feeling like I’ve completely plateau’d, which is unfortunate as it’s a game I really enjoy.

(Having now uninstalled it, I am open to encouragement to reinstall and continue trying to improve…)