Atlas Reactor goes free-to-play, adds new character

“If Frozen Synapse and Battlerite had a baby, it would bear an uncanny resemblance to Atlas Reactor,” said Matt Cox, which reminds me that I’m grossly failing in my duties as his self-appointed moral guardian. I should have given that young lad the ‘copulation’ talk years ago. But if you’re interested in tactical team combat played out through simultaneous turns, you might be interested to hear that developers Trion World have chucked a uey — again — and turned Atlas Reactor [official site] free-to-play. This switch comes alongside the launch of a new season with a new character.

Atlas Reactor executive producer Peter Ju explained:

“From the beginning, the Atlas Reactor team has listened to and responded to your feedback, and earning freelancers through gameplay has been your number one request post-launch. By making the game fully free to play we give more players the opportunity to experience everything Atlas Reactor has to offer. Now, players will be able to play the game for free, earn some freelancers along the way, and at any time they can upgrade to a premium pack to get all current and future freelancers.”

The new imaginary currency of ‘Flux’, earned by playing, can also unlock extra loadout slots, Mod Tokens, and fancy skins. Folks who bought Atlas Reactor before will still get all characters now and forevermore, obvs.

The start of Season 2 also brings a new character Brynn, The Skywarden. Another new character will follow later this season.

You might remember that Atlas Reactor was initially planned as free-to-play, then Trion invented a revolutionary new business model they called “buy-to-play”, then they introduced a Free Mode as an extended demo, and now… it’s free-to-play. The difference between this and the Free Mode is that free-to-players can permanently unlock new characters, which Free Moders were always limited to a rotating lineup of freebies. Get it? Got it? Good.

You can download Atlas Reactor on Steam and through Trion’s Glyph client doodad.

1. Kitty says:

Another thing worth mentioning that Alice did not is that the Ranked gamemode used to be locked behind buying the game before (and also having played 50 PvP matches), whereas now everyone, even free players, can play Ranked (provided they own 10 Freelancers and have played 50 PvP matches).

• Afoxi says:

More things worth mentioning: This change to f2p is a case of the community demanding it, rather than the devs/publisher thinking it’s in trouble.

2. Amstrad says:

This is good news. I enjoyed the game when I had access to all the Freelancers but once I was locked into a rotating roster is started to drag as I was forced to play Freelancers I didn’t necessarily like as much.

3. Strategist says:

It is also worth mentioning that AR is big fun. I found my way into it by a former RPS post and was not dissapointed. In the contrary I never had so much fun with round-based-combat turned into a fast paced game ever. If you will its like XCom, Frozen Synapse, Overwatch and the whole MOBA scene had a baby – and it is beautiful and alive and kicking! It’s pretty unique also.

• Throwback says:

Seconded – AR is a fantastic game and absolutely worth a look.

• Aetylus says:

Thirded. Especially for us turn based grognards… don’t let that MOBA tag throw you… this is basically online XCom in a bottle.

4. Afoxi says:

That’s totally me in that screenshot! If I squint hard enough at Zuki I can see my in game nick, plus that’s my usual skin. XD

5. cyranorick says:

Now completely free to play .. nice and fresh idea / gameplay.. reminds a little of FF Tactics.. and XCOM ofc. Nice!
    Stumbled upon it a few days ago.. and already have close to 60 hours of gameplay.
    You guys really should give it a try. It´s kinda addictive ;-)
    And IF you are going to try it, PLEASE consider using my invite Code.
    There is a rotation of Freelancers which can ben played for free.. this code lets you try ALL of them for a week.
    (And I get some points to my “friend-o-meter” ;-)
    So it´s quid pro quo :)