Get cricked on: Don Bradman Cricket 17 released

I will be very excited to see a futuresport game which does for cricket what Rocket League did to… football? Hockey? I want cricket with robots and/or cars, basically. 100 Foot Robot Cricket. Crocket League. That sort of thing. In the meantime, we’ll have to settle for regular vidcricket. Don Bradman Cricket 17 [official site] has arrived on PC, simulating the game with the best theme song in all sportdom. I’ve picked at the game’s demo over a few months and yeah, of course it doesn’t feel anything like actually playing cricket but it feels like a decent enough approximation in that abstracted sports game way.

It’s… a cricket video game? You do that cricket stuff, which looks like cricket but doesn’t at all remind me of cricking in the park with my pals on the sunny afternoon with a couple beers inside me and Britney pounding on the stereo.

Don Bradman is, of course, the legendary Australian mob boss who invented cricket as a cover for his heavies strolling around town with bats slung over their shoulders.

Don Bradman Cricket 17 is £39.99/45,99€/$49.99 on Steam. That’s where you can also grab the demo, which includes training modes and lets you fiddle with player and stadium creators. The demo’s been out for ages, updated as development on the main game progressed, which was interesting to see.

I do like the character creator in Don Bradman Cricket, which now includes female characters. Like Grand Theft Auto Online, it encourages the creation of people with very human imperfections through a wide variety of options for cauliflower ears, wrinkles, pimples, and so on. My crickmen look interesting, and feel like they’ve spent a lot of time in the sun. Obviously there’s a lot of fun to be had in creating a version of yourself from an alternate universe where you dedicated your life to cricket:

Ah, I do miss those freckles.

From this site

1. Ghostwise says:

Based on the hair, I’d assume that cricket (assuming “cricket” even exists…) involves wearing a large steel helmet during lengthy matches.

2. Shiloh says:

I’ve not played the Bradman version, but I do enjoy a bit of International Cricket Captain now and then, mostly for Aggers’ slightly melancholic voice over but also for the fact that I managed to win the County Championship with Yorkshire.

3. BobbyDylan says:

Does is work without a Controller? Cos I tried the last one and it wanted me to plug in a toybox controller to play it. Instant refund.

• ElementalAlchemist says:

Seems like you’ll be passing on this one as well. The description says:

Additional Notes: Controller Required

• Shar_ds says:

The most frustrating bit? You can get all the way to the Loading screen happily without a controller, but then it drops the “Press A to continue” and you’re stuck and have to Alt-F4 the damn thing!

• iucounu says:

I can’t remember a modern cricket sim that hasn’t somehow relied on an analogue stick…

• caff says:

Yeah bit strange not offering mouse/keyboard or some version of this. I suppose the 360 joystick is required for precision shots. Having said that, I can play Rocket League fairly well with just keyboard and mouse so I’m confused why more people can’t be innovative with this combo.

For the 2014 version, I can see people were downloading a joypad emulator.

4. thekelvingreen says:

You make a good point about the theme tune, but skiing has got a good one too; it’s like Bach became a swinging superspy.

5. Philopoemen says:

Disparaging Sir Donald Bradman is tantamount to declaring war on Australia.

It better have a T20 mode!

• TeePee says:

I haven’t played this year’s edition yet, but 2014 had T20 modes as well as T20 tournaments in career mode – it was good fun, but the AI was a bit squiffy when chasing/end of innings. From the early reviews, that seems to be a bit better this time round.

6. FurryLippedSquid says:

I’m looking forward to their next game, Pheidippides’ Running Simulator.

7. Mr Bismarck says:

Don Bradman Cricket 2014 is now only the second best game on Steam.

8. JackMultiple says:

(sigh) This is why we can’t have nice things.

Why do so many sports games think they have to “license” a famous player or personality or nobody will play it? In 5 (or however many) years, this game will disappear from the face of the earth because the license has expired, and you’ll never see it again. In 20 years, you’ll think back and say “what was that great cricket game I used to play? Oh yeah, can’t get it anymore. Not even on GOG.com or wherever”.

So many great old sports games that just can’t (legally) resurface due to expired and non-renegotiable licenses. (sigh)

• ooshp says:

Errr no. They would just have to rename the game and change the title screen. Ronnie Breadman Cricket, anyone?

The players and grounds are all fictional as they didn’t bother with official licensing – you just download current teams as user-generated content, thus neatly sidestepping the problem you just raised.