Mass Effect Andromeda: melee crafting and renaming

Krogan Warhammer. Not pictured: Krogan.

Hello. I am OSTENSIBLY writing this news post to tell you that Mass Effect Andromeda [official site] will have dedicated melee weapon slots and you can craft and name weapons to put in those slots but SECRETLY* to let you know that IF I do deign to play Massdromeda there will DEFINITELY be a thing called a WARRHAMMER in my game.

And NO, I will not lay off the CAPSLOCK.

Anyhoodle, if you want the fact parts of this news story, the game’s lead designer Ian S Frazier tweeted a couple of bits of info about said melee shenanigans earlier:

There was also this as a further observation from senior designer Justin Perez:

Something which periodically occurs to me when playing games with dedicated melee weaponry is that actually there is a lot which can be used as a melee weapon that those games tend to ignore. I mean, sure I COULD craft a Krogan hammer and faff about with all of that business but Ben Mitchell Killed Heather Trott with a picture frame in EastEnders. In Corrie, Tracy Barlow offed Charlie Stubbs with an ornament and, in a separate EastEnders incident, Steve bashed Saskia with an ASHTRAY.

Obviously I am now looking at the Pathfinder quarters from that Tempest video to see what I could use to murder errant crew members as part of a Mass Effect soap opera. Most things are disappointingly unwieldy or part of the walls/existing furniture so it would be a pain to bludgeon someone in the heat of the moment. Perhaps this is a sign that humanity will learn valuable lessons from soap operas in years to come.

Anyway. Warrhammers. Good. Fine. Carry on.

Mass Effect Andromeda is out in the US on 21 March and 23 March for Europe, EastEnders airs most weekdays on BBC 1 in the UK and I think Corrie is Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays on ITV. If you’re more interested in murders Silent Witness is on at 9pm on Wednesday on BBC1 and ITV has Midsomer Murders from 8pm also on Wednesday. The latter are both kind of phoning it in right now if the last few episodes are anything to go by. Also Jones nearly got killed when a murderer accidentally credited him with more intelligence than he has.

*Maybe I should have put the secret part after the jump.

From this site

1. Snowskeeper says:

In the grim, dark future of… Um…

What year is this?

2. RedViv says:

[Use Weapon]

3. thedosbox says:

I would love to be able to use the Mass Effect equivalent of a kettle as a melee weapon, then use said kettle to make a cuppa afterwards.

For attention of police everywhere – this would be IN GAME.

4. vorador says:

This definitely won’t turn into a lot of weapons named after genitalia.

5. Rao Dao Zao says:

I always preferred Waking the Dead to Silent Witness. Mmmm, Trevor Eve chewing the scenery all day every day in a secret base that looks like a set from the Death Star. I think they must have been the first crime drama to use transparent whiteboards, but now everybody has them.

In more relevant opinion, I loved playing Fallout: New Vegas as a totally melee character so I’m kind of okay with this. It would be nice to ditch the guns and run screaming into the fray, but the awkward ‘press this other button for melee’ attacks never quite sat right with me.

• Philippa Warr says:

I miss Waking the Dead! Silent Witness is one of those shows which has had some good episodes or decent series but this current one is… clunky as all hell. Characters explaining current political situations to one another like pro and con caricatures in a simplistic news article for the first one… Yeesh!

6. mercyRPG says:

M-Ass Effect Andro-Fakea is contender to the title of MIGIE Most Inane Game In Existence

7. TomxJ says:

I spent a working experience easter picking out locations for midsummer murderers. Criteria was usually a house with a pool and bushes in the garden.
    Come to think of it Ribena adverts asked for the same thing.

Anyways I’m going to call my death stick Thomahawk.

Nauallis says:

Ideally the melee animation will be faster than the “oops, I fell into the molasses tank during motion capture” mode of ME3.

9. Von Uber says:

Just think of all the resources you’ll have to scan and collect to make them. Fun fun fun fuuunnnnnnnnn.

10. Rizlar says:

‘Improvised weapon specialist’ is actually my dream RPG class.

11. Zenicetus says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t get into the idea of melee combat in a far future sci-fi themed game. Seems inefficient when you have pew pew lazors available. Not to mention biotics to lift people in the air for target practice. My rangers in XCOM2 never used those silly swords because they were awesome about half the time, but guaranteed suicide from exposure the other half.

The main usefulness seems to be getting rid of members of your team who are getting on your nerves. “You there, miss grumpy-face… get out front and start bashing that 20 foot tall alien beast with your lazor katana, while the rest of us… uh, support you from the safety of cover waaay back here.”

Nauallis says:

That’s a very cheerful assumption you have, that your alien opponents will always be cautious, cover-seeking drones with a penchant for equipping tissue-paper-based armor and precision weapons, and never will want to introduce their xenophilic, lumbering cousins who just happen to have sharp, pointy teeth, the better to smile at your friendly space envoys, and the mass to give everybody a hug at once.

I’m cool with melee/point-blank weapons that are justified within the setting.

• Zenicetus says:

I’m fine with melee weapons as a backup. It’s mainly the idea of melee specialist classes that seem odd to me, unless they’re backed up by being wrapped in a mech suit or something. I guess we don’t know enough about ME:A’s classes to know if they’re doing that, or it’s just the equivalent of having a sidearm or truncheon handy when something gets in your face.

Nauallis says:

I’ll still point you towards settings like WH:40K, especially with the iconic Space Marines – Assault Marines are the heavy cavalry/mounted infantry, and their whole mantra is to attack from an unconventional vector (above), land in the midst of enemy formations as literal shock troops, and use their melee weapons in such a way that ranged weapons are rendered useless, except as clubs/shields. That’s a specialist melee class, and the only ranged weapons they are typically shown to carry in canon are heavy pistols or flamers. The whole value and justification for troops like that is psychological and tactical shock – break the enemy’s will to fight before they have a chance to engage your main battle line, or alternately disrupt their combat tactics so that your main battle line gains an edge.

I think that you’ll find most melee specialists in sci-fi tend to follow this pattern, that they make sense in the context that they are used.

What doesn’t make sense to me, and where I wholly agree with your confusion are many of the JRPGs and Anime-come-Action-Platformers, especially the Final Fantasy series, where heroes specifically only use melee weapons to kill anything, including mechanical objects and leviathan-size enemies. On the other hand, those games aren’t usually about making sense.

MajorLag says:

If you never used the Ranger’s Slash abilities, I feel like you may have been playing the game very poorly. Slash is a fantastic ability and cover is overrated when killing all the enemies before their turn is on the table, which it usually is.

Besides, there’s Implacable…

12. Kingseeker Camargo says:

“Mass Effect Andromeda is out in the US on 21 March and 23 March for Europe”

So it doesn’t come out for the rest of the world? Or have we all been lumped into either US or Europe and the memo just didn’t make it down here?

Don Reba says:

Do you have a dedicated illustrator on staff making those header images? They are very talented!

14. geldonyetich says:

In terms of promoting immersion, I can’t help but think allowing the players to name their futuristic crafted gear whatever 21st-century meme junk they want is a step in the wrong direction.

Edski says:

I’ll craft the chair leg of truth and probably just forget about it and just shoot at the aliens until I get bored and stop playing about two thirds of the way through the plot. Damn you Bioware!

subdog says:

Oh boy crafting.

17. Ahkey says:

I’m Commander Shepherd, and this is my favourite article on-
    Get out of my ship!

Given that everyone on Eastenders has murdered at least one other person, I’m looking forward to Andromeda’s detective mode to get to the bottom of this mess once and for all. Whether it’s a Thorian responsible or that Elephant graveyard the Square is built on, something is driving these people to murder. And endlessly monologue.

Of course, no court will ever convict them. Because assembling a jury of their peers would be impossible. Because that would require hiring a dozen extras who haven’t murdered people yet.