Super Mario Odyssey’s PC port is grittier than expected

Nintendo’s new console, the Swapsie, isn’t even out but word has already leaked of a PC port for flagship game Super Mario Odyssey. A new cut of Odyssey’s trailer shows the PC version, which naturally boasts higher-fidelity graphics and — goodness me! — Nintendo have embraced the ‘mature’ nature of PC gaming. When toonman Mario ventures into the real world on PC, he sparks fisticuffs with pedestrians, gets chased by armed police, visits strip clubs, and suffers terrible accidents. Oh, Mario! Sadly, the PC version also renames New Donk City (the best place name in any video game) to Liberty City. Here, wrap your peepers around this trailer:

We have ‘CrowbCat’ to thank for uploading this trailer. CrowbCat mentions something called ‘GTA IV’ and links to these odd things; I assume that’s all the software used to hack Nintendo and leak the trailer.

I’m delighted to see Nintendo bringing games to PC but part of me is sad that they’re trying so hard to deflect those PC gaming grumblebags who’ll drone on about “babbygames” and “toyboxes”. I do like the bright colours of New Donk City in the Swapsie version, and of course that amazing name.

Lexx87 says:

That’s really well done – good work internet chaps!

2. Arglebargle says:

If only…. the Mario team had been able to keep their original character concept. Popeye!

I might have even played the games.

3. Vandelay says:

This made me laugh probably more than it should of.

The Switch is looking like it might be a bit of a disaster for Nintendo though. Tiny storage space was ridiculous with the WiiU and even more ridiculous now we are a few years on. Their plans for an internet service that gives you access to a SNES or NES game for a month are a joke, and the pricing of software and peripherals is scary (actually don’t think the base console price is that bad, but probably should come with 1, 2 Switch.)

Plus, we have another system that is underpowered and not going to get any third party ports. I actually own a Wii U and thought it had some great games, but the complete mishandling of so much makes me very, very weary about picking up another Nintendo console.

• smeaa mario says:

I think what eventually kills Nintendo will be their inexplicable love for weird controllers. They obviously want to break new grounds (or are they even?), yet all I see is things getting weirder and weirder with every next attempt.

MajorLag says:

The thing about Nintendo is that they don’t really need any third party support. Their own franchises are great enough that they just about support a console on their own. Hell, I’d really like to play Odyssey and whatever it is they called the new Zelda, almost enough to actually consider buying a console again. Almost.

And Nintendo’s strategy on system horsepower is actually pretty brilliant. Why compete with the PCs in a box that MS and Sony are putting out when they can make a less expensive system that nonetheless delivers beautiful visuals even if it can’t draw quite as many triangles as the competition? People don’t really care about “graphics”, they care about “aesthetics”, and aesthetics isn’t really dependent on horsepower.

All they’d really need to be a hit this time around, I think, is to encourage a thriving indy market. Between their own titles, which they have a great track record with, and various indy hits that’ll crop up, the switch would be a pretty sound purchase I’d think.

Then again, I’m not the kind of person who has any use for a console, so I’m hardly in a position to judge what console gamers will buy.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

whatever it is they called the new Zelda

I believe it’s called Zelda: Firestarter.

• manny says:

True about the aesthetics, like the sprite graphics games of yesteryear, needing to distinguish themselves on style not graphics detail.

Also Nintendo is like Apple, everything is much more under their control. Xbox and Sony are more akin to pc boxes that are easy to play games on. Seems to me Nintendo will have more longevity, as their brand is much stronger and this new Switch is makings things even stronger.
        They are branching out Nintendo apps for smartphones.

4. racccoon says:

Hilarious! love it! we need more hype!

5. April March says:

This is brilliant, and not all that different from New Donk City.

Donk.

6. smeaa mario says:

Dammit. I really believed in the possibility for a moment. That is some first-class tantalization right there.

7. tslog says:

If you want more brilliance from CrowbCat, watch this.

link to m.youtube.com

8. GeoX says:

I found that way funnier than perhaps was warranted. Well done to all parties involved!

9. Jokerme says:

You’re making everything more confusing than it should be.

10. Marclev says:

Couldn’t wait until April the 1st?