Timeloop murder mystery The Sexy Brutale out in April

The Sexy Brutale [official site], the murder mystery set within a time loop of the same deadly day, now has a release date. Mark April 12th on your calendar — over and over, gouging circles with your pen until you tear through to May — as the date we’ll get to venture into the eponymous casino and discover why its staff are murdering a ball’s guests every day. It sounds a bit Majora’s Mask, a touch Groundhog Day, and a smidgen The Last Express as players get to understand a little more of the place and people around them each day. Here, check out this new trailer:

What a cheery little murderworld! In the casino mansion of The Sexy Brutale, players will slip into the cassock of a priest who’s trapped in the time loop. Each day brings a new opportunity to sneak around and learn a little more about the guests’ lives and what’s going on here, and of course to let people die again. I tell you what: I bet The Marquis dunnit.

The Sexy Brutale is a co-production between Tequila Works, who made Deadlight and Rime, and Cavalier Game Studios. Oh! Speaking of, Rime is coming to PC soon too.

1. mepto says:

Obligatory “Will be on GoG” comment, since people need to learn steam doesn’t have to be a DRM-infested monopoly.

• Kefren says:

GOG’s my first choice, and they even had a big advert for this game. I learned to live with Steam but still dislike it, especially as the Steam client just gives an ‘unknown error’ if I click on anything other than my library. Even EULAs I have to agree to just display that error, yet I have to click that I agree. And Steam support ignore the issue.

On to this game – I always loved Killed Until Dead on my C64 (and still play it on WinVice). People in your hotel had their own timetables, and you’d spy on them with cameras to try and work out the murderer and motive. At the end of each game you would interrogate your chosen subject, and win if you got it all right (a bit like Cluedo). Happy times, despite the 5 minute load each time.

phuzz says:

Obligatory “Many games on Steam aren’t DRM’d” comment.

• Kefren says:

Obligatory – Steam doesn’t make it clear which games are DRM-free. And you can’t search for them.
        Plus – don’t you still have to have Steam installed, connected and up-to-date in order to download the game files? So unless you’d already got the files downloaded and saved, you’re still tied to an online service which determines your rights to download and play a game?

• Someoldguy says:

I was a big fan of GoG when it first arrived and avoided ‘must log on to launch game’ platforms like Steam. Unfortunately there have been a host of games subsequently that have been distributed on both platforms but not been fully supported on GoG despite promises to do so (by the game designer/publisher) and only Steam get all the content updates. It may be a small minority, but you never know when it’s going to happen.

2. Buggery says:

It kind of looks like Grim Fandango if Grim Fandango was ugly and littered with extra, heinous elements that distract from the art style and a generic but overly complicated character design. And obviously less an adventure game then either GF or the Last Express and more of a board game style. Hopefully it will be fun?

3. JaguarWong says:

The structure, as described here, puts me in mind of Goichi Suda’s excellent Flower, Sun, & Rain for NDS

4. April March says:

I was going to say that Sexy Brutale was an exceedingly weird name but then watched the trailer and now find it quite fitting.