Micro Machines World Series racing to PC in April

Micro Machines, I have just learned, barely exist as modern toys. Times and fads change, of course, but I would think miniature vehicles are a natty enough idea to endure as more than a handful of Star Wars spin-offs. How are abandoned children supposed to protect themselves against invading burglars? Tch! Well, Micro Machines are at least livelier in the world of video games, as Codemasters have a Micro Machines racer for pocket telephones and today announced they’re bringing a new one to PC in April. Say hullo to Micro Machines World Series [official site].

Like ye olde Micro Machines from ye olden dayes, World Series is a cartoon racer with loads of diddy cars racing around household environments. Sounds like the different vehicles in this are classes, with different weapons and abilities. It’ll support four-player same-screen racing or up to 12 players online. Codies say:

“As well as bringing to you the classic game modes like Race and Elimination, Micro Machines World Series will introduce a new style of game play to the series: Battle Mode. The all-new Battle Arenas will allow you to wreak mass destruction on a miniature scale against your friends or the AI. Meanwhile, Team Play lets you work together using your vehicles’ unique skills with modes such as ‘King of the Hill’ or ‘Capture the Flag’!”

The game will, obviously, not look like this trailer:

Or, if you want miniature mechanical racing now now now, Table Top Racing: World Tour is meant to be fairly fun and is half-price on Steam right now. Or there’s Toybox Turbos. And… say, which one would you most recommend, gang?

From this site

1. Tinotoin says:

I’d say Toybox Turbos is superior to Tabletop racing, it’s much more in the same vein as Micro Machines I reckon.

bsplines says:

Toybox Turbos is quite fun in multiplayer indeed. Its art style is not the most exciting though.

2. Lurid says:

I have a sneaking suspicion it’s just going to be a port of the android/ios version.

I am a cynical asshole, yes.

• Baines says:

Listed as Coming Soon, but there are no screenshots or real gameplay videos. The PC/console trailer also features both vehicles and weapons that are in the mobile version.

Odds are pretty good of it being a mobile port. I guess the best hope is that it might at least be an upgraded port… Maybe some higher quality models? I’d guess the mobile version doesn’t have four player local, after all?

3. Baines says:

If you don’t limit yourself to toy cars on tabletops, there are several other MicroMachines-like racers on Steam.

4. Sardonic says:

But will Dwayne be in this one?

• inspiredhandle says:

I find the fact that you inquire about Dwayne’s presence in the latest instalment, instead of Jethro’s or Spider’s disturbing.

I think we can all agree that Chen was a hacking piece of shit at least. Many a time that little fucker would have me on the last corner of the last lap of a championship race.

“Let’s race dem cars!” – Jethro (Micro Machines V3).

5. Dugular says:

To be fair, I think we’ve reached the age where the graphics really could look like the trailer if they really wanted to put the effort in. Which they won’t. Which is a pity, because I think that would be brilliant.

6. geecen says:

Circuit Breakers was the best top down racer I played.

7. melerski says:

RRRRRRRRe-volt! (yeah I know it these here are not RC-cars, but gameplay seems identical) The old top-down Micro Machines I remember didn’t have weapons.