Mon then! Total Warhammer unleashes The White Dwarf

The White Dwarf is not a euphemism. One does not pay a visit to The White Dwarf, pump him, poke him, sit on him, drain him, slurp him, or shake him, unless one wishes to lose an eye, then an arm, another eye, a rib, another rib, yet another rib etc. No, The White Dwarf is Grombrindal, a legendary (and possibly mystical) Warhammer warrior, and he’s now arrived in Total Warhammer [official site] as a Legendary Hero free for everyone. He was previously given to folks who popped into Games Workshop shops for vouchers but DON’T DO THAT, THAT’S HOW THEY GET YOU.

It’s now safe to simply swing by Steam and download The White Dwarf as a new Legendary Lord for the wee fellas.

As you’d expect, he has his own traits and abilities and his own unique quests. These quests slowly kit him out with legendary arms and armour — the Rune Helm of Zhufbar, the Armour of Glimril Scales, the Rune Cloak of Valaya, and the Rune Axe of Grimnir — and I’d imagine he’s pretty flipping fierce once he’s got all four.

That’s a bit of a change from his current tabletop incarnation, where he appears to be in his pants.

The Creative Assembly are currently working on a free update adding Bretonnia as a playable faction. They’re due to launch alongside a new physical release in February.

For now, admire the technical complexity of this virtual beard:

From this site

1. stalker says:

What an underwhelming intro..

2. thekelvingreen says:

White Dwarf eh? I assume he isn’t as good as he used to be.

(Ho ho, White Dwarf joke. Carry on.)

• Velthaertirden says:

I guess the White Dwarf will be quite hot on the release date.

3. cp3oh says:

I live near a GW store so I managed to stop in and grab a code back when he first dropped. I gotta say that angry little man is a beast in Campaign.

I really hope this February update fixes the world-destroying AI for the Wood Elves in Campaign.

4. Hensler says:

I really want to play this game – but so far I’m managing to hold off in favor of the inevitable Blood God Edition that will include all the DLC at same price I’d pay for just the base game right now. But it feels like I’ve been playing Hannibal for so long now.

Edit: And Hannibal, I meant Attila: Total War. Dur.

• cp3oh says:

Word around the ‘netz is they’ve got a few years of content planned, with two expansions pushing the existing game map out further and further to include more factions like Tomb Kings, Ogre Kingdoms and Lizardmen.

If you’re waiting for a comprehensive collection it might be a long wait. The next big Steam sale might be a good time to grab it at a lower price, or if you do hit up a GW location and get the Grombrindal code it also includes a 20% off voucher for the base game.

• Hensler says:

In that case, I’ll probably end up buying it pretty soon. I know I’ll get my money’s worth based on the amount of time I have in the rest of the series, but the total price for the game + DLC on it’s Steam page always shocks me when I browse to it.

• FireStorm1010 says:

The thing is imho the most expensive DLC just allow you to play as another faction. You still get to play against all factions, even without the DLC’s. So do you really intend to play as all factions? Me im happy with just the Wood Elves, as i play only as Vampire and Wood Elves, and even this takes me a long time to finish. Imho , unless you are a tottall hardcore WH fan who wishes to play all factions , you really dont need many DLCs.

5. Chiron says:

I’m looking forward to the Red Dwarf, I understand he’s YUGEEE.

If a bit senile.

boundless08 says:

I can 100% agree that schemes like this is how they get you. I went in to the local Games Workshop to get my steam key and now I have 5 different 40k armies!

7. Mandrake42 says:

“He was previously given to folks who popped into Games Workshop shops for vouchers but DON’T DO THAT, THAT’S HOW THEY GET YOU.”
    Haha, this made me laugh. Those guys can be very high pressure and I sometimes felt like I was walking into the headquarters of some kind of cult :)