The Foxer

Warm-Up Foxer (What am I?)

I can be found in a black field. I was at the centre of a 2009 novel. I was designed by a German. I’m closed on a Monday. I was completed in the year Sherlock Holmes lost his father. I feature on a 2005 postage stamp. Fabric paid for my fabric. I’m at the same latitude as Jersey. I’m an anagram of ‘tight naval duel’.

Feature Foxer (Identify the collage theme)

* * *

SOLUTIONS

Last Week’s Warm-Up Foxer

Answer: Jean Batten (defoxed by Shiloh)

Last Week’s Feature Foxer

Theme: RMS Queen Mary (defoxed by Shiloh and phlebas)

a Dog from There’s Something About Mary (phlebas)
b Supermarine Southampton (phuzz)
c Taskers traction engine (Shiloh)
d Avia B-534 (AFKAMC)
e Early Diner’s Club card (Gothnak)
f and gGrey‘ alien and Ghost Recon icon (Gang of one and Little_Crow)
h Curaçao (phuzz)
i Abolitionist John Brown (Shiloh)
j Map from Treasure Island (Gothnak, phlebas)
k Atlantic Fleet icon (phlebas)
l Air raid warden‘s helmet (Gang of one, Shiloh)

1. Little_Crow says:

Is the photo bottom left Paul and Linda McCartney?
    My celeb spotting skills are almost nonexistant

2. AFKAMC says:

Suspect the biplane is a Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8 (“Harry Tate”).

3. Stugle says:

Is the wingless BOAC plane G-ALD, the “only surviving Hermes”?

link to oldprops.ukhome.net

If so, I wonder if that fact that ‘HORSA’ on the nose has been scrambled in the Foxer is relevant…

Syt says:

The thing in the middle (above the tower) seems to be a silencer for an M109 howitzer.

• Stugle says:

You are right, but… why? Is it so that they can test fire without upsetting the neighbors? It just does my head in.

• AFKAMC says:

I think that’s exactly what it’s for. The one in the image is German-built, I believe, and judging by the photos Google brings back, it’s HUGE.

Not sure if it’s specifically for use with the M109 howitzer, but if so, the latter is also known as “Paladin”, if that helps.

• unacom says:

It´s not only the neighbours.
        In germany military training areas are mostly off limits and therefore rare animals and plants tend to live there making them (large) wildlife refuge areas.
        And because animals have rights too, artillery training will -in certain special cases- occur in a way that will not upset protected local wildlife.

[EDIT] There are at least two different types:
        One for the M109 and one for the Küstenschnellfeuerflak.

• Stugle says:

You know, my first gut reaction was “Psh, what’s this girly concern with animals? This is manly military stuff we’re talking about!” And then I realized I’m almost forty and grown-up, and I can appreciate the German military making serious efforts to co-exist with the wildlife on its bases. Thanks for sharing that insight! :)

PS: I might pretend to be grown-up, but that silencer is still the biggest phallic symbol I’ve ever seen. Snigger.

PPS: Kuestensnellfeuerflak – Coastal rapid-fire anti-aircraft artillery? I love the German predilection for very long and extremely specific compound words. :)

• unacom says:

Yeah. We´re nice people. ;)
            I´m pretty sure they were forced by environmentalists.
            When I served, the maximum courtesy for wounded animals was a 9mm “Kopfschmerztablette”.

I did a little digging.
            The artillery silencer is used by self-propelled artillery (M-109 and PZH-2000).
            There seem to be two types of silencers for the 20 mm rapid-fire gun. One for flak-use (fully automated) and one for ground-targeting (mechanical guidance).

• unacom says:

Well, the part about the blatant disregard for the well-being of animals is a bit of a lie.
            Many of our Officers and some of our NCOs were (are) actually active environmentalists themselves.
            Especially with our Heeresbergführer that comes with the job (link in german) and mountaineer-units regularly tour the alps and remove litter, repair shelters and hiking-trails. I know french, austrian and italian mountaineer-units do the same.

Matchstick says:

I think the thing bottom left with the 6s on it is a Rotary Barrel Row Counter used in Knitting.

And I think the round things scattered across the picture are Jacobs Cheese Footballs, beloved of parties in the 1970s.

6. AFKAMC says:

I think the sub is Soviet submarine Shch-215

Image from Wikipedia: link to en.wikipedia.org

If so, it was involved in sinking a boatload of Jewish refugees in 1944.

• AFKAMC says:

It was a Shtuka-class submarine; Shtuka apparently means “pike”.

7. Shiloh says:

Warm up Foxer – are you the Villa Tugendhat?

8. Gothnak says:

The photo looks very Jeff Bridges-esque, but i don’t think it is.

• Stugle says:

I was thinking either Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, but since I haven’t watched the former in about fifteen years and I’ve never watched the latter, I can’t narrow it down to a more specific suggestion.

9. Shiloh says:

I think the line drawing at the bottom is one of Aubrey Beardsley’s, but I can’t find it at the moment…

• Stugle says:

Trying a Google image search for him led to a very hasty retreat, what with being at work and all… :)

10. chuckieegg says:

The savoury snack strewn across the photo are KP Cheese Footballs, taken from the photo here :link to cheeseburgercrisps.blogspot.co.uk. My twins eat them as their bribe-food if they eat all their brocolli first.

11. phlebas says:

The chap leaning on his hand behind a cheese football is war poet Rupert Brooke:
    link to en.wikipedia.org

12. Gothnak says:

Oooh, ohh, i have a connection!

Football was played on xmas day in WW1, Rupert Brookes wrote about WW1 in his poetry, and McCartney wrote a song (The Pipes of Peace) about that football match in WW1…

13. Gothnak says:

An alternate crappy link is that Paul and Linda McCartney were in Wings, and the most obvious feature of that plane is that it doesn’t have any. Also it’s name Hermes is the Winged Messenger. And err.. you have 2 wings in a football team? :s…

14. phlebas says:

The clock tower is at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand.

15. Gothnak says:

Griffin(dor) is Greek myth, Hermes is a Greek god, Rupert Brooke is buried on a Greek island, Delphos is a Greek island.

The ship that was sunk by the sub, was near Turkey however, and Brooke was on his way to Gallipoli when he died…

Nothing there has anything to do with football, or Paul McCartney & Wings however. And god knows about Otago! :p… Although the New Zealanders were also at Gallipoli.

16. Gothnak says:

Right, last ridiculous attempt…

They are all units from a particular faction in Heroes of Might and Magic.

Griffin, Pikeman, Knight (George Barbier led the Knights of the Bracelet) & Paladin.

And with that, i give up.

17. mrpier says:

So,
    Black line – unknown
    BOAC plane G-ALD, the “only surviving Hermes” Horsa
    Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8 (“Harry Tate”)
    Rupert Brooke – war poet
    Silencer for an M109 howitzer.
    KP Cheese Footballs snack
    Godric Gryffindor from Harry Potter (unknown actor)
    Rotary Barrel Row Counter used in Knitting
    Shtuka-class submarine; Shtuka apparently means “pike”
    Paul and Linda McCartney
    Georges Barbier drawing of Isadora Duncan

18. AFKAMC says:

Is the connection “knights”?

Sir Paul McCartney was knighted in 1997, for services to music.
    Handley Page Hermes – Sir Frederick Handley Page was knighted in 1942, for his contribution to the war effort.
    The Sword of Gryffindor – a sword is used in the ceremony of knighthood (“I dub thee Sir Knight”, etc.)
    George Barbier led a group from the Ecole des Beaux Arts who were nicknamed by Vogue “The Knights of the Bracelet”.
    Frederic Hardwicke Knight was a photographer and historian who produced compilations of early Dunedin and Otago photographs, and wrote a history of the Otago Peninsula.
    M109 Paladin – the term “paladin” has come to refer to any chivalrous hero, e.g. King Arthur’s Knights of the Round Table.
    Rupert Brooke’s “Menelaus and Helen” includes the line “The perfect Knight before the perfect Queen”. No idea if it’s one of his better known works, though.
    The pike (i.e. weapon) was used to good effect against French knights at the Battle of the Golden Spurs. This one’s stretching the submarine link a bit, I admit…
    …but at least it’s not as tenuous as my R.E.8 link: the R.E.8 was known as the “Harry Tate” after the music hall performer, whose stage name was due to the fact that he’d previously worked for Henry Tate & Sons, Sugar Refiners, whose founder was Sir Henry Tate – I think he was a baronet, not a knight, though.

I’ve no idea regarding knitting counters or cheesy footballs, though, sorry!

19. AFKAMC says:

…unless it says 99, the Rotary Barrel Row Counter appears to be displaying 66 – a reference to the 1966 World Cup and Sir Alf Ramsey? Not sure if he was actually a knight, though.

20. Tim Stone says:

Everyone is very chilly at the moment. Roman’s advice: “Wrap up!”

21. AFKAMC says:

Scarves?

Isadora Duncan died when her scarf became entangled in the wheels and axle of the car in which she was riding.
    Rupert the Bear wears a scarf.
    The R.E.8 was equipped with a Scarff ring.

• AFKAMC says:

Private Pike from Dad’s Army is another scarf wearer.

• AFKAMC says:

…so is Paul McCartney?

• phlebas says:

Not only that, but Jane Asher is now married to Gerald Scarfe. Double whammy!

• AFKAMC says:

The association with knitting is obvious.
      Harry Potter wore a Gryffindor scarf.
      A silencer (artillery or otherwise) is also known as a muffler, which is an alternative word for scarf.
      Football scarves!

• AFKAMC says:

Hermes (Paris) make silk scarves.
      Dunedin appears to be a Scottish brand manufacturing cashmere scarves. (Presumably Dunedin because the name is derived from Edinburgh.)

• AFKAMC says:

Which I think just leaves the item at the very top left (above and behind the leftmost cheese football); no idea what that is.

Thanks for the clue! I guess my previous idea was more fool’s errand than knight errant :)

• Gothnak says:

It can’t be scarves, there is no clue for Tom Baker.