What are we all playing this weekend?

I don’t know about your corner of the world, but mine is being brightened immensely by these lengthening days. Three minutes a day really adds up. That three minutes to cherish each day. The little things, yeah? Gosh howdy, get me with this folksy twinkle. Let’s talk video games: what are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on!

Adam: I’ll be taking a look at the Early Access release of Card Quest, which is, somewhat unsurprisingly, a fantasy RPG using cards for combat. It appears to be all combat. I had a quick go last night and stabbed some zombies and hulking horrors. It seems pleasant.
Alec: I will be playing XCOM 2: The Long War, which I honestly hadn’t expected to have suddenly arrived. I found XCOM 2 itself nothing like as tricky as I’d expected, presumably because I played XCOM 1 too many damn times, so I’m looking forwards to getting roundly humiliated this time. I for one welcome our new Chryssalid overlords.
Alice: I’ve busted my right wrist up with all this here tappy-typing so I’m not sure what I can play this weekend. Mousing is out but maybe I can manage Isaac if I’m delicate. Obviously I’m still playing Isaac even if I can’t. I’m also slowly watching Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories, a charming Japanese comede-o-rama series about the people passing through a late-night diner. If I don’t take my time, I’ll be back to whichever megatrash horror movies Netflix ‘recommends’ because I can’t help myself. Oh! I’ve just read Brendan’s bit ↓ and yes, finishing Virginia might work nicely.
Brendan: I’m chomping my way through the IGF nominees like a voracious crocodile. I’m halfway through Virginia and very much liking its silent detective vibe, its Blendo jumpcuts, and all the tiny clues of body language between background characters. I also like the dream sequences, which are bizarre but always rooted in reality or communicate the main character’s innermost hunches. I’ve heard it gets a bit supernatural, and if so I might just ignore that. Because right now it’s strong, psychological detective fiction.
Graham: I’ve become hooked on Pictopix, the Picross-style game John reviewed so positively a week or so ago. It’s everything he said it was in his review, in terms of the slickness of its interface and quality of its boards, but I admit I still find myself wishing I was playing it on DS. That way I could lie on my back under a duvet on a couch while playing.
John: This weekend I shall be mainly lying down, whimpering, wincing each time I swallow against the hellmouth that has opened up on the back of my throat, and worrying that this is how I’ll feel for the rest of my life because that’s something I do every time I’m ill because I’m a lunatic.

Games? I imagine it depends on how well sitting up goes, but I really want to take a look at the disturbingly titled Love Engine, and also play a bit of Mainlining.

Philippa: This weekend I’ve decided I want a fancy cocktail. Just the one is fine. The only rule is that it has to be fun and frivolous. I have a cocktail bar in mind and I’m going to go in with zero suggestions in mind. I just want to look at what other people are having and read ingredients I then need to Google and imagine flavours and settle on something stupid in the moment. I also really want a glacé cherry to be involved but in the interests of not imposing a weird restriction on this expedition I might go and buy glacé cherries right now. Cocktail bars don’t frisk you to find out if you’re packing cherries, right? Oh, and I’ll probably play some games at some point.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. LearningToSmile says:

I started She Remembered Caterpillars, and I’m probably going to finally try Abzu. Not that keen on the way Caterpillars delivers narrative but maybe it’ll click for me later. It’s definitely pretty and so far easy enough not to be frustrating.

Also, Overwatch, but that’s a constant.

2. someoneelse84 says:

I am slowly making through Lothric Castle in Dark Souls 3. I am dying a lot. Must… persevere…

3. Ghostwise says:

I’ll try to cram in some more Fallout 2 time (yes, the 1998 one). I been taking a shedload of notes about the older isometric FO games lately, so our homepage is full of articles about ’em.

And then I’m never touching FO2 again. Much as I love it my video games backlog is grotesque and I need to make dents into it.

Andy_Panthro says:

It’s a mix of Bloodborne and Stardew Valley for me. A nice contrast between the two.

I’ve also got Undertale to finish, but I can’t get past Undyne.

And I also started Steamworld Heist, which is really fun.

Finally, the Long War 2 review mentioned Jagged Alliance 2, so I have to spend the whole weekend resisting replaying JA2/1.13 yet again.

• Tacroy says:

You have to run away from Undyne, that really confused me.

Andy_Panthro says:

I figured out the running away part, but you have to run away multiple times. I’m just not good enough at dodging the stuff so I end up dying.

I found the Papyrus “fight” particularly hard too, but eventually got past that. Undyne is just too hard for me. My only hope might be getting some healing items from somewhere, because I’m seriously frustrated with it.

• malkav11 says:

Maybe just check out an LP. I bailed before you did because I couldn’t hack the battle mechanics, and it looks to me like it only gets harder from there.

Andy_Panthro says:

stocked up on healing items, and made it past Undyne. Now I’m stuck on Mettaton. I’m sure I’m close to the end, very close probably. Maybe only a couple more fights away… that’s the annoying part!

Andy_Panthro says:

Completed Bloodborne!

I’ve now completed Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne, next Dark Souls 2, then perhaps I’ll get around to finishing DS1 although I’m not sure I could go back to it now.

• fish99 says:

Nice! Remember Bloodborne has the awesome DLC and the chalice dungeons if you’re still addicted to it, and of course there’s always NG+.

I basically couldn’t stop playing it until I’d beaten NG, NG+, the DLC twice and all the chalice dungeons (all the unique bosses in them anyway). By that point you have skill and strength up high enough to use any weapon.

Andy_Panthro says:

Wouldn’t say I was addicted to it at all.. only managed to finish it because I got help with chunks of it. Without the summoning system, I’d never have managed it.

Next up is Dark Souls 2 though. And perhaps going back to DS1 to try and finish that (only got as far as the Lordvessel).

Captain Narol says:

Warbands Bushido, Magic Duels, FM 2017 and starting The Banner Saga 2, as I enjoyed a lot the first one gloomy tale.

• Chairman_Meow says:

Super excited for where Warbands: Bushido is headed. It’s fun right now, but I think they are really on to something there. Plus, at $7 the price is right.

Captain Narol says:

Yes, it’s really a bargain at that price, some balance fix are still needed but the core game is definitely solid and already addictive.

I especially like that you can’t buy boosters (units/cards) with real money and that’s it’s play-to-win rather than pay-to-win.

Doing your daily quests is enough to stay competitive and expand slowly your warband, which grows in side as you grow in level (even if I’m frustrated they changed the max size from 10 to 8)

They just added a new map (a tavern), that is quite fun and makes life harder for ranged units.

6. Massenstein says:

No one’s been fired this week? You’re getting lax at the RPS towers. Healthy amount of fear keeps writers productive.

7. Rainshine says:

Mount and Blade Warband. Again. My second best friend got hit with charges of treason and kicked out of the kingdom (along with his daughter, who fancies me). I got his castle from the king, because the king and his marshal like me for being a lickspittle. It came with a full garrison as well, being my only holding with an actual garrison; I haven’t bothered to reinforce the castles I took in combat.

Dragon Age: Origins, playing again. It’s going a bit faster this time, but I’m bashing my head on the desk over combat. 3/4 the time the characters stop attacking randomly, making me pause every second to give orders again, only to have them ignore them. At least it doesn’t seem to have an alignment indicator.

Finally gave Raft half an hour (Freeloaders from last week). More fun than I thought it would have been. That said, I’ve got a multi-story raft with trees and windows, so I think I’m pretty much at the end of it.

And looks like the Endless stuff, which I’ve meant to check out, is on Steam sale, so….

Qazinsky says:

You can always just go on a recruit drive around friendly villages and fill your castles with 50-100 tier 1 troops. It wont do much if someone actually wants the castle, but it will stop small army lords and other nuisances from knicking it while you’re somewhere else.

8. Spacewalk says:

Today was a Bushido Blade tournament, tomorrow who knows what.

Gus the Crocodile says:

Post-barbeque afternoon of light drinking and local multiplayer today. Push Me Pull You was very yes: we had newcomers squealing in horror at the stretching sound effects before becoming Very Serious About Winning. And we accidentally found a secret dog mode so that’s always a nice bonus. More secret dog modes please, devs.

Beyond that, usual favourite Overcooked didn’t take today, because when two of four chefs are having more fun spinning in circles giggling, you don’t actually get much cooked. Landed on Jackbox 3 instead, which worked better.

As for the rest of the weekend, feeling like wandering through a couple more star systems in No Man’s Sky, and now that Pillars 2 is being teased, I’ll probably start Pillars 1 for the third time, get to Defiance Bay for the third time, and lose the desire to keep going for the third time.

10. Von Uber says:

Fallout 4. I know it’s basically Skyrim WITH GUNS! but it’s a perfect time sink when you have an week old to keep an eye on as they sleep.
    Or sit carefully balanced on your lap as you explore the wastes.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Actually it’s Oblivion with guns without guns with guns.

• Von Uber says:

I was allowing for the slightly updated engine from oblivion.

My favourite bug so far is that the entrance to diamond city is just one blank grey low resolution texture. At first I thought it was some form of giant badly drawn shutter until I tried to walk through it and found myself in the foyer.

• warkwark says:

Enjoy it! One day they gain the ability to move from their spot, and then most types of gaming go out the window.

11. lglethal says:

Probably, The Division as a single player playthrough, and quite enjoying the story so far.

When I get bored of that, I’ve gone back to XCOM as I never did finish Enemy Within, and yes I got the humble Bundle with XCOM2, so more reason to finish XCOM 1 fully, before trying out the new one.

And if I get bored with that? I dont know I have such a big back catalogue it shouldnt be too hard to find something else.

Admittedly though, I probably wont have time to play anything as my better half wants to go out and do things in the cold and snow (Crazy Woman that she is)! So we will see what we will see! :)

12. Kefren says:

Continuing with Wolfenstein New Order (before the blue Monday), and will probably play it to completion (unlike the other shooters I tried recently), but the flaws stand out all the more because of the good bits. When I wrote my Wolfenstein review I was surprised by how many irritations sprang to mind.

I may not get far with it because I’m also celebrating (found out yesterday one of my books is in the long list for this year’s Bram Stoker awards – the biggest thing to happen to me in my writing career).

13. mgardner says:

XCOM 2 Long War 2! My first mission after Gatecrasher had over 25 aliens in it, THEN reinforcements started coming. Total wipe. Yeah, this soldier is not ready for iron man…

14. Marblehead says:

Dark Souls (1).Finally took the trouble to mod properly with KB+M setup with semi-comfortable controls so hoping I won’t bounce off it like last attempt.

Fallout NV: A Tale of Two Wastelands. Never ever got around to playing the original NV so excited about taking the train to Mojave once I level a bit.

FM2015 on laptop (always running in background). Finally given the Spurs job after 400 games :D

heretic says:

John’s been hired again! Wonder how long that will last…

16. Darth Gangrel says:

I’ve recently went through Lotr: War in the North and Viking: Battle for Asgard and feel like playing more hacking/slicing games, so now it’s Darksiders 2, standard edition. While I like the pun Deathinitive Edition, I don’t care that much about DLC in games generally and probably won’t feel like I’m missing out.

After I played Darksiders 1 a year ago or more, I was really tired of all the annoying console-centric stuff, but the main gameplay was good and now I feel like the time is right for that sort of game again.

The Almighty Moo says:

More Stomping Roberts in Titanfall 2 as I’m just starting to learn the other Titans and, if I have the time, will and inclination XCOM2 at long last. Hopefully I’ll manage to put together a games evening for some on sofa gaming soon, but we will see.

18. Unsheep says:

WRC 6. A big jump from WRC 5 as far the simulation side is concerned, it’s certainly a “proper” sim game. Not that I care that much, as I like all kinds of racing games. However it’s noteworthy that they have steered the game towards the sim side, as it makes the gameplay more technical and tactical than before.

Dirt Rally fanboys will predictably take every opportunity to harass every new rally game that pops up. However these people – like all Fanboys – are not actual gamers. They are bullies and morons that somewhow drifted into computer games.

We’ve all come across these kind of Fanboys: ‘there can only be ONE game in this genre and it’s the one that I like, not the one that YOU like’. With this kind of childish mentality we would only have ONE game in every genre. How fun does that sound ?

We would have no choice at all as consumers. That is the world that these Fanboys, regardless of game, are inadvertently proposing. I say ‘inadvertently’ because they are too young or dumb to actually recognize the meaning of what they are saying.

A true rally game fan should encourage more rally games being made, since it’s been a dying niche for such a long time. You don’t have to buy every rally game that comes along of-course, but you should at least be able to recognize that it’s a positive thing that some developers still want to make a rally game, even if it’s not exactly the type of game you want.

Ranting aside, what else am I playing … oh yeah, Offworld Trading Company.

19. TheAngriestHobo says:

A combination of Dwarf Fortress advernture mode and XCOM2’s The Long War.

My Dwarf Fortress adventure is my first attempt at playing a bard. Tracking down new stories is great – I feel like Dandelion from The Witcher. Also, I’m playing as a Garlok, so I do funny things like strap my weapons to my head. It’s all very amusing.

My biggest challenge right now is finding water. I’ve spawned in the underground and have been using cave systems to move between Dwarven fortresses. All the water I’ve run across has been muddy and unfit for consumption, so I’m desperately hoping that the fortress of Markpalace has a well that’s not hidden down some twisting, unassuming side-corridor.

20. Nureaufan says:

So yesterday day I was trying to launch from my steam library and I accidently clicked on Driftmoon. I didn’t know what it was, had never heard of it, and certainly did not know it was in my steam library ( I must have inadvertently pick it up in a steam sale). I decided to go ahead and give it a try and I must say it is something special. Simple, straightforward, funny, and a decent story, can’t wait to dive back in today.

• caff says:

Great little game, Driftmoon. Lovingly created and handcrafted, a pleasure from start to finish.

• Tuidjy says:

At first, I thought it was quite pleasant to play, despite being on the trivially easy and rather simplistic side. Then I was getting more and more tickled about the religious overtones, and the preachiness: constant invitations to pray, faith is good, reason is dangerous, etc. And then I found a book with whole chapters from the Bible.

I asked myself “Do I want to play this any longer?” and the answer was “Not really.”

21. Syrion says:

I’ll try to cram in a few hours of Dark Void and/or Bionic Commando (2009). Both seem like perfect “7/10” 3rd person shooters, but both handle movement in a very unique way, so I’m excited to finally play them. Both are on sale for 1,99€ each on Humble!

Fun fact: Dark Void was developed by some of the guys behind Crimson Skies! Though, I have no clue if that’s only true of the Xbox-only one or also the PC original. Huh.

22. ButteringSundays says:

I have to finish the last mission on xcom 2 – I may do another run before I play long war, but I have it downloaded ready.

Ben King says:

I want to finish up 35MM, some No Man’s Sky,… then a long stroll in downtown Chicago waving a cool homemade pink cat sign with a few tens of thousands of friends, then D&D 5e with a few of those same friends on Sunday. With any luck the DM will be generous with EXP and we’ll hit level 2.

• dogwaddle says:

I have friends in Chicago, heard the gathering got out of hand size wise, a lot more people than expected?

24. fish99 says:

Finished Call of Pripyat this week. It was good but I feel it was the weakest Stalker game, with a poor story, not enough missions and a small game world. Also the performance dropped over time, meaning it needed restarting regularly, possibly due to the complete mod.

I did have a look at the new Hitman yesterday, doing the first tutorial mission. I’m assuming it’s supposed to be a comedy?

I dunno, nothing is really grabbing me right now. I should go finish Twilight Princess HD since I have Breath of the Wild (Wii U) on preorder.

• DudeshootMankill says:

I just got into the Call of Chernobyl mod for Stalker COP, and it really is something. It has all the areas of the three games and the upgrade system of Call of Pripyat. Not as insanely hard as the misery mod, which is nice.

• sege says:

I agree about CoP being the weakest – in a way. The Story was completely “wtf”?! I’m sure entire ‘mystery’ was either shown in a loading screen tool tip or was already part of the backstory which would have been known to players if they’d played the first two games. It was best for graphics, stability (although like you I still didn’t find it perfect: ctds on max settings) and general polish.
      Only being the third best stalker game still puts it around 3rd best game I’ve ever played though so it’s all relative!’
      CoC is great for a replay of the zone because the story is known to us now, so the sandbox idea is quite a good one. Having said that i do miss a strong narrative to push me ever further into the zone. There are mods to add quests etc, but its not quite the same.

• fish99 says:

*spoilers*

Yeah the whole point of the story was apparently that the army didn’t know emissions caused anomalies to move, even though every Stalker and the player knew that. Also Strelok turning up to help the army at the end for no other reason than to shoe-horn him into the game. Why would he trust the army to want to destroy the zone?

I’ll definitely have a look at CoC soon.

25. Blowfeld81 says:

Rainbow Six Siege. Finally managed to tank all the placements down to copper 1 and for the first time I really enjoy this game entirely as the people I match with now are more fun and relaxed and nobody screams into his mic as if their parents forgot to make them sandwiches…

26. Creeping Death says:

I’m trying out the Nioh demo on PS4. I’m… not entirely sure it’s a good game. Or perhaps I just don’t like it. Which is a shame as a samurai style Dark Souls game sounds awesome to me. Unfortunately, I don’t think the developers understand what it was that made Dark Souls good. They seem to have just latched on to the idea that “Oh people liked that it was hard” and running with that mentality.

I dunno. I’ll stick with it and see but for now my interest is down from “buying near release” to maybe waiting and see if it becomes a budget title.

• gabrielonuris says:

That’s the main problem with Souls-like games. The press and the internets always claim it to be hard for the sake of being hard, but almost noone remember its world setting, the interconected environments, dark lore and ambience, the gothic atmosphere, etc. You can’t simply make a “Dark Souls” game just making it hard. Dark Souls isn’t even hard to be honest, it’s just balanced in an unusual way, that’s all.

Unfortunately even From Software thought their game was hard for the sake of being hard, because after Dark Souls 1 they couldn’t replicate the feeling anymore, and probably never will.

• fish99 says:

I’m sure getting past OnS first time through was a challenge for most players, especially if they didn’t summon. Manus/Artorias in the DLC are no push-overs either.

I’d say Bloodborne measures up to the original Dark Souls in most ways. The world isn’t so interconnected, but the setting/lore makes up for that, and the boss designs are phenomenal.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It’s not hard because it is trying to copy Dark Souls it is hard because it is following in the legacy of the Ninja Gaiden games.

27. malkav11 says:

Going to at least dip my head into Hex: Shards of Fate and farm a little more arena, maybe try and build a ship deck and sail the Alachian Sea with my most advanced character. Also maybe see how Marvel Heroes plays after their recent mega-update. For all that it’s a significant paradigm shift (Diablo II-style power pointing to Diablo 3 style powers scale with your level and are tweaked at a moment’s notice by changing traits) my most played characters don’t seem to have majorly different kit so I think it may not be as disruptive as some people were projecting. The Infinity system is not nearly as interesting as the previous approach to paragon-style levelling they had, but it’s not fundamental to the play experience so probably not the end of the world. I wish RPS would take another look at the game – it’s very much not the one that Walker wrote off back in beta and early launch, and it has certainly been my favorite ARPG, full stop, up until this change. Fingers crossed that it still will be.

Primary mission is to push towards finishing Dragon Age Inquisition, though. I’ve already all but polished off all the zone questing and even one of the DLCs – the Jaws of Hakkon one, which while it doesn’t sound that compelling, just adding another zone of which the main game already has arguably too many, is actually really strong. The new zone is gorgeous, and the overall design is much more pleasing than a lot of the base game zones, with clear, strong story threads that eventually converge and culminate in a particularly challenging and unique boss fight (and then you get to fight another high dragon, but it bugged out for me so I just zapped it for about 70% of its health before it bothered to fly around or land near us or do any of its voiced lines, so that -was- a trifle anticlimactic). You get to learn cool things about the Avvar, and the last Inquisitor, you set up in tree forts, and you can recruit a bear as an Inquisition agent. It’s pretty good. PS: You also get a handy Inquisitor power that temporarily establishes a projectile barrier. And since ranged opponents are easily the biggest threat in the whole game…well, it’s great.

Next up is a main story mission I’m partly through, and then I will probably delve into the Deep Roads for the second DLC before coming back and trying to finish things off in the main questline.

28. liquidsoap89 says:

I’ll be continuing Shadowrun: Dragonfall since Amazon shit the bed in regards to delivering Gravity Rush 2 for the PS4. There will also probably be some Rocket League/Enter the Gungeon/Rocksmith mixed in there as well, if I’m feeling adventurous.

29. David Mitchell says:

Just doing a quick playthrough of the TIE Fighter Re-Orchestrated mod, parallel with the ‘TIE Fighter Total Conversion mod’ for X-Wing Alliance to compare the missions. Although the original TIE (with the re-orchesrated iMuse soundtrack mod) is probably overall the best version, I have to say the actual “in-flight” gameplay in the X-Wing alliance engine is just amazing, almost spine-chillingly cool it’s so good. Not just for the graphics and sound boost, but the controls! It’s surprisingly smooth and precise with my old MS Sidewinder stick, no microstutters or unwanted movement at all (as with GOG TIE, Tie95 and TIECD (DOSBox) on modern systems). And Force Feedback! Boom! There goes another Nebulon-B Frigate! Daah daah daahh, dah dah daah, dah daah daaaaah! It’s Strikeforce Shantipole time! And oh my god (it’s full of stars)… press Shift-F and the cinematic film replays actually work! YES!

syllopsium says:

Course, the original Tie Fighter is smooth as silk on a real DOS system – it’s just that in some cases either DOSBox isn’t very good or needs an horrendously fast system.

Against that, Tie Fighter is definitely the worst DOS game to get working properly. I need two sound cards to play MIDI music (through a Roland module), sound effects, and joystick, and not have any game stuttering (Tie Fighter bug. If the game hangs for a moment in DOSBox too, that’s also affected and needs to add an extra virtual sound card )

30. Barberetti says:

*cracks open a beer*

Still buzzing after seeing Tommy Emmanuel at The Anvil in Basingstoke on Tuesday night, and haven’t played any games since. That likely won’t change this weekend as I’ll be continuing to play guitar instead.

Otamono says:

Is he Still rockin it? I thought he would evaporate soon into,his boogey and classical gas youtubevideos.

• Barberetti says:

Oh he blew the place apart. He also took 10 minutes out near the end of the show to break down a section of one of his songs and show all the guitarists there how he plays it, which was a great bonus!

subdog says:

Midnight Diner is great, Alice! In terms of pleasant, calming quirkiness, it’s such a departure from every other show I’ve watched.

32. Chairman_Meow says:

Pit People (Behemoth is such a great Developer), XCOM2 LW, Smite, and most likely SUPER HOT, SUPER HOT, SUPER HOT….

33. dogwaddle says:

Conquering the world as the Saxons in Attila Total War. I am having problems with uncertainty and desolation. I think it is because I am razing enemy settlements after occupying them first.

I am also working through my first play through of Dragon’s Dogma. Currently in the catacombs, investigating a cult. I seem to have a ridiculous amount of money. Am I suppose to be doing something with all of it?(some secret shop owner I don’t know about?)

34. Dekion says:

Tormentum. Put it on for 5 minutes to see what it was like and finished it 5 hours later. Deliciously macabre and enjoyably puzzly. After firewatch last weekend I think that the 6 hour game is my new black.

35. rahji says:

Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin. Just beat the gargoyles today and I felt a little bit mighty. If it gets to hard there is still Victor Vran on my steamlist to ease my pain from dying over and over. I hope there is an item in this game, that does depetrify infinte times because it really feels awkward when you spent your mistle branch on some other statue and seemingly can’t progress further.

• floogles says:

I’m a little further along, and I recommend you always keep one branch back, they’re pretty rare but you will find them regularly by digging around. Inevitably you’ll want one just after you used your last one, but there are very few opportunities to buy them.

Afaik there is no infinitedepetrifier! Congrats on the gargoyles, one of my favorites to fight. I love the way they crunch and stomp so weightily.

• gabrielonuris says:

I hated that unpetrify mechanic in this game!! Like floogles said, you’ll always want one just after you used the last branch!

Jekadu says:

Between the indignity of having to watch an orange in a skin suit become the most powerful person in the world (and the frustration of watching people channel their own frustration in very bad directions) and having to visit parents who treat me like I’m still a kid I don’t have much room, time-wise or mentally, for video games.

I’ve been able to squeeze in some time trying out The Binding of Isaac and its remake, Rebirth, as I am required to do so for a university course. Although it’s an interesting game, I just don’t see what the big fuzz is, to be honest.

syllopsium says:

I’ve been playing Destroy All Humans on original XBox, it’s quite funny. Can hopefully finish rebuilding my new computer/sorting my study, and play some more PC oriented games.

38. jimjim19681968 says:

Thief (4) and Overwatch. I’ve always loved the thief games, and The Metal Age in particular. When Thief 4 came out the reviews were so damning I stayed well away from it. The other week I started on Dishonoured (1), which led me to thinking about Thief. I picked it up on Steam and have been playing it every since. It’s a blast. I really don’t know what people were complaining about, and I’m quite annoyed that I gave it a wide birth for several years due to public opinion.

• lglethal says:

I couldnt agree more about Thief 4, I had blast with it! I never understood the hate for it, it feels like a Thief game to me, has a great, dark, twisted story (my tip – explore everywhere, read everything! This is a story which doesnt hold your hand and expects you to find out the details for yourself – maybe one of the reasons people didnt like it? I dont know, I loved it for that!).

Probably not as good as Thief 2, but I would put it just behind Thief 2 in my list! :)

• fish99 says:

I haven’t played it and have no opinion of it, but from a PR point-of-view they shot themselves in the foot by not having Stephen Russell voice Garrett.

39. Synesthesia says:

Long War 2, because who needs an actual life right?

Also, watching the idiot nazi getting punched over and over again, because it feels oh so good.

zinzan says:

Combat Mission 2 PBeM campaign games as always – fighting throuh Arnhem and Bastogne Operations at moment on The Few Good Men site).
    Work followed by decision to NOT go out for a drink as last week was enough for a while :)
    Possibly something like Fallout:NV or Shadowrun if I don’t distracted by Rugby, Cricket, Trump or simply reading lots about games instead of playing them.

41. geldonyetich says:

Dragon Quest VIII.

I’m as confused as you are.

syllopsium says:

Dragon Quest isn’t that bad, it’s just long. I’m a bit more than a third of the way through VI, after completing what I thought was the aim of the game and finding that no, there’s now a whole host of extra stuff to do..

particlese says:

I played “try to ignore the (happy) drunks in the ski hut so you can sleep and not die the next day”. It was a success, and now I will idle through some ESO this evening, I think. I’m tempted to play Lucid Trips (VR) instead since it looks pretty relaxing, but I want to pay attention to that the first time I play.

43. sege says:

Sanctus Reach. I’m loving it. I love the idea of not using the actual tabletop rules but emulating the feel and balance of the them instead.
    I agree with the complaints I’ve read about: lack narrative, questionable long term appeal. But I’ve sunk 8 hours into it so far which is already better value than I a lot of other games I’ve paid a higher price for so no complaints here.
    Someone mentioned that it has potential for modding due to easily understandable script files or something, which could be interesting.
    As far as U can tell there are no difficulty settings. The first 3 missions were are breeze with only losing a single unit do to a stupid miss click (damn glitchy deathadder!) and then the following ‘escort’ mission was a total wipe!!! I’m not sure if for the first time I was fighting a never ending horde, as they seemed to just keep on coming.
    It was quite a romantic last stand though! A little sickening too though…

Ninja Dodo says:

Just finished The Last Guardian. It is glorious.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Finished it a couple of weeks ago as well. Absolutely beautiful game. One of those games where I recognize its flaws but could not care in the least. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game where I’ve started physically cheering on my NPC partners. Earlier this year John said in his OneShot review that he’s never cared about a character as much as Niko. Mine’s Trico.