Dishonored 2 adds custom difficulty & mission select

If my interpretation of the update notes is correct, Dishonored 2 [official site] now has a Martial Arts Movie slider. The introduction of customisable difficulty sliders – more than twenty of them – allows you to decide “how many active enemies are likely to attack you at once”. I’m hoping that means I can either choose to have mobs of guards surround me but attack on at a time, as often happens with martial arts minions, or set them to rush me en masse, ignorant to the etiquette of combat.

The sliders let you fiddle with the speed with which sleep darts take effect among other things and I’m glad that they’ve arrived alongside the mission select option because I don’t fancy playing the whole game again, but will gladly jump back into my favourite parts with the scales tipped firmly against me. It’ll all be live some time later today.

The Mission Select works as follows:

…with Mission Select, you’ll be able to select and replay any mission you unlock after the update is installed, retaining the status of your playthrough at the start of that mission – giving you a better shot at nailing that Ghost or Clean Hands run.

There’s an Ironman mode to play with as well, disabling manual save and loads, and leaving you to live with the consequences of your actions, and to curse that one guard who always falls down the steps and breaks his neck when you send him to sleep.

1. thedosbox says:

Happy to see mission select finally make an appearance, especially as it was present in the first game.

Does anyone know if the header image in the release notes made it into the actual game? It looks like someone picking a lock is about to be caught by the grand guard, but I don’t recall coming across such a scenario.

Aitrus says:

I think he’s just looking through the keyhole like the guard in the manor mission. No idea if it’s in the game though.

2. Joriath says:

Frankly, my main hopes for this patch are to be actually able to play the game. I’m one of the many unfortunate souls with AMD R380 cards who have been blighted by crashes within seconds (or if lucky, minutes) of loading the game.

• ColonelFlanders says:

It performs generally quite badly to be honest. I have a Haswell i5 and a GTX 970 and I still get big frame drops for seemingky no reason all the time. I think I’m going to uninstall it for 6 months and see how it improves.

• Dave L. says:

The 17.1.1 AMD drivers finally fixed this, actually. But there’s something wrong with the CDN and the AMD Software auto-updater downloads the wrong display driver, so you have to manually download the full package from the release notes page.

keithzg says:

I’m with ya. Got a full first playthrough in, spent a week away from the game, and haven’t been able to play since.

tenochtitlan says:

replay any mission you unlock after the update is installed

This is actually quite stupid, so I still have to play through the full game again after this patch to replay late-game missions? Seems ludicrous that they can’t figure this out from the current saves you have. I assume this is because they currently haven’t stored your state (chaos level, inventory, etc) at the beginning of each level, but disappointing nevertheless.

4. engion3 says:

Waited a few months to buy it runs like complete garbage still, guess I’ll wait a few more months.