Hey person, see the first Resident Evil in first-person

Resident Evil 7 shifting the core series into a first-person perspective is an interesting change, but what if it had been that way all along? One enterprising Evil Resident (as I imagine RE fans probably call themselves I guess) has whipped up a prototype of the first Resident Evil running in first-person, cutscenes and all. It is weird/cool to see something so very familiar from a new perspective. The prototype likely won’t be completed or released publicly but here, have a look in these videos.

Here’s Resident Evil’s intro in first person:

And a bit more, following on from that:

That’s the work of Rod Lima, who took models and the mansion from on-rails shooter Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and animations from 2014’s Resident Evil Remaster, then smooshed it all together with some custom code within Unreal Engine 4. Et voila, first-person Resident Evil. That’s an impressive piece of work.

It doesn’t look right, of course. That’s not what Resident Evil is. Switching the camera jars with how it’s a game whose bad shooting, unhelpful camera angles, and awkward movement make you a mook struggling with undead horrors. From what I’ve seen of RE7, it makes different moves to recreate that sense in a way that works first-person. This is all a good reminder that camera perspectives aren’t simply cosmetic.

Our Adam is currently horroring away to tell us Wot He Thinks of Resident Evil 7, by the way, and I believe Alec is horroring minorly to scream some initial thoughts.

Pedants’ corner: 7 isn’t the first Resident Evil in first-person, as the series’ six-hundred-and-eighty-seven games have included light gun shooters and whatnot, but RE7 is the first main RE game. A number of mods have taken other core RE games first-person but they’re slightly janky camera tweaks and don’t (as far as I’ve seen) have the cutscene fanciness of Rod Lima’s mockup. And yes, I do know that the accepted term for Resident Evil fans is actually Evil Residenteers.

1. PoulWrist says:

He made sure to include LOTS of that favorite option of gamers everywhere: Motion-blur.

• dystome says:

Strange, isn’t it? Motion blur is something we notice on cameras because it doesn’t happen with our own eyes and yet first-person games are particularly keen to replicate it.

Tsch.

• Kefren says:

Always the first thing I disable after item shimmer (if the latter is possible – not always; even Wolfenstein New Order doesn’t let you turn it all off, or the silly radar popups).

• Ghostwise says:

Personally I tend to disable DoF seconds *before* I disable motion blur. There are people who do it the other way around?

Clearly our world views are too different and we must now fight to the death as we cannot deal with alterity.

• Kefren says:

I am so confused that I sometimes forget to untick DoF, so a battle it is. But all blows must be done in slow motion so as to not cause blurring, and along a vertical plane only, so as to prevent depth effects.

• Ghostwise says:

Whoah, no. The last time I played a game like that, the lass I was supposed to rescue at the end of the game kicked me in the head because I was still in a fighting stance.

That kinda marked the psyche of the tender child I was back then. Like the white-hot iron of injustice.

• KevinLew says:

I thought that the whole point of 120Hz and 144Hz monitors was to get rid of image smearing. But game developers want to bring it right back with motion blur.

Game developers need to learn that movies aren’t good because they have lens flare and motion blur, and throwing a bunch of it in your game doesn’t make it “cinematic”.

2. PseudoKnight says:

I know some people would have a problem with this, but I actually played Max Payne 1 & 2 the first time with a first person mod. I couldn’t stand the 3rd person camera in that game for some reason. (other 3rd person games have been fine) It also made me ill. There’s a slight bit of joltiness in the movement that you don’t typically expect in first person, but otherwise I found it both playable and enjoyable. It CAN work because I’ve seen it work. Maybe it wouldn’t work with RE, but I wouldn’t completely throw the idea out. But as I’m not a fan of the series, I’ll leave that up to others.

As for RE7, I enjoyed watching Steve Gaynor play through some of it. Some great moments in that stream. I can’t imagine that in 3rd person.

3. CAMN says:

Hey, if it gets rid of the crappy controls, then I’m ok with it. Moving a character in any RE game I ever played (RE 1 through 4) was painfully close to being annoying.

It wasn’t as bad as to stop me from playing, but it was really close. I think the fixed camera may have had something to do with it, since the angle would change from one area to the next, and you are left thinking “if I push the controller stick this way, will he move taking the current camera angle or the previous one as reference?”

It should be easier if it is a FPS.

• drinniol says:

RE games (at least up to 6, I haven’t played that one) have always done movement relative to the character. I once read a very apt phrase that went ‘It only takes a half second to turn around, but it can the longest half second of your life’. It was talking about the suspense but it can also apply to the controls in general.

4. asebw says:

Actually, Resident Evil Dead Aim, the first FPS in the series (as far as I know), wasn’t too bad with the First Person perspective. It was made for use with the PS2 Light Gun, but could also be played with a controller, and was probably the precursor to revelations (since it too started on a cruise ship). Overall, it wasn’t a bad game. I just wish I had a decent setup at the time to use a light gun with.

• Kits says:

Rather than the first, I think Dead Aim was the second first person Resident Evil. It was part of the “Gun Survivor” spin off series, focused on the light guns. Admittedly I only played the Japanese version of the first one of those, which came out on the PSX a little after RE3, but I believe there was also a Dino Crisis spinoff, and Code Veronica that were part of that series too.

• Jalan says:

I’ll never genuinely grasp why Capcom felt the need to shoehorn CODE: Veronica into the Gun Survivor titles. The actual non-Gun Survivor version was great and not some weird contrived “it was all a dream” malarkey like the Gun Survivor version turns out to be.

• dethtoll says:

Dead Aim has the distinction of being one of the worst games in the series.

It also has the distinction of using the Quake 3 engine, which I thought was amusing given Capcom’s predilection at the time for doing everything in-house.

5. EricJBaker says:

When will this mod be available, and where will I be able to find it?