Classic web series Consolevania returning

Consolevania, the strange and delightful video game webseries which spawned BBC Scotland show VideoGaiden, is returning. Rab Florence (who wrote our Cardboard Children column) and Ryan Macleod have launched a Patreon to crowdfund new episodes and mercy me it looks like they’re doing well so far. Consolevania’s something I missed at the time, only finding it later and out-of-context, but I still laugh remembering some sketches. Not just the ones that poke fun at RPS elder Kieron Gillen. But often those ones. Quite often those ones.

While Consolevania was a web show, in my head it’s categorised with (and above) the shows that made it to telly, riffing off them into its own weird direction. So sure, episodes had reviews and retrospectives and things, as any video game show might, but it was personal and it was funny and it was heartfelt and it was unpredictable. Here’s a review of Oblivion:

Big thoughts from Nu-Skool Journalist Kevin Leddins, yeh?

Some game tips from Ask Kenny:

Kevin Leddins (why does he seem so familiar?) again, fighting the video game fascists:

It’s a load of mates making each other laugh, yeah? I realise that’s basically YouTube at large these days but few wavy ‘Tube men have the sense and cheekiness of Consolevania (let alone the Glasgow patter). Oh I’m sure it won’t be the same because Rab and Ryan are old now, basically in the grave, but aren’t we all?

Anyway! Unlike Kickstarter, Patreon is made for ongoing work, with patrons being charged per episode. They’ve already received enough pledges to fund the basics, and are reaching towards stretch goals to make it fancier. One goal is to rope in Gerry McLaughlin, who you might recognise as one of the gag gang on Burnistoun, the sketch show Rab has with Iain Connell.

Consolevania say episodes will be exclusive to backers but, er, they accept that they’ll inevitably be shared amongst everyone. Backing it will get you them straight away, mind. Here’s Rab and Ryan to say hullo:

[Disclosure: As I said, but should make clear, Rab wrote Cardboard Children on RPS. If you didn’t know that already, goodness me you’ve got six years of columns to catch up on. You lucky dog!]

From this site

1. Deano2099 says:

The last series of videogaiden was terrific, despite them being all old and stuff, so have faith this will be great too.

2. leeder krenon says:

Can’t wait for this. Videogaiden was spectacular. Inspiring that of all the millions of hours of video game commentary that makes it on to youtube that pretty much the only stuff worth watching is made in the UK (Videogaiden and Cool Ghosts)

3. Bull0 says:

Shit, I didn’t realise cardboard children was officially finished, I just assumed Rab was off doing something cool. Can’t let my wallet get too comfortable – off to patreon I go!

• G_Man_007 says:

I know, I only just noticed… For my shame! I was hoping to go up to him one day (I swear I saw Rab dozens of times in the past year and a bit in Glasgow on my commute) and point out how I enjoyed Cardboard Children. Now I’ll have to keep an eye out for this (how I wish I had appreciated Consolevania and Videogaiden previously; it’s like missing out on the Fast Show and only getting into it now).

4. sapien82 says:

ahhh fantastic I loved video gaiden being Scottish it was aboot the only hing decent on the telly!

well Im glad its not going to be on the British brainwashing corporations channels , never watching anything those pedo harbouring bastards put out ever again !

• ZippyLemon says:

that’ll show ’em

• sapien82 says:

well it actually does mate since I no longer pay for a license so Im not funding whatever illegal activities they get up to and I am no longer complicit in their crimes against the people of the United Kingdom.
        Im no longer feeding the beast so to speak.
        Which is alot more than I can say for the rest of the UK who have children and continue to pay their license fees because they love whatever that shite show of a corporation spew out , that and their “fake news”.
        So much for the expose’ on the BBC and their prior knowledge of the pedo ring those involved with links to MP’s and royal family.
        I hope you dont pay a license fee!

5. crazyd says:

The hard paywall to access the content is weird to me. Seems like a bad way to make new fans. I’d be more likely to subscribe just to support it if it was a thing I could share. Without pirating it, that is. That said, I’m glad Consolevania is coming back, I loved it and VideoGaiden.

6. sapien82 says:

Oh forgot to say probably the best hing I’ve ever heard Rab say on TV

“stabbed, garotted, bummed in the gub”

youtube – Bummed in the Gob – consolevania 1.3

7. snowgim says:

This news makes me ‘Brian Blessed’ happy.

Speaking of, one of my favourite Consolevania bits: link to youtu.be