Arkane’s Prey blasting off in May

Prey [official site] will blast off on May 5, publishers Bethesda announced today. The new Prey. The sci-fi immersive sim made by Dishonored developers Arkane. The one which seems to have little to do with Human Head’s 2006 FPS yet is confusingly named exactly the same. The one which which looks pretty good fun in its own right. That one. The one where you can be a cup. Bethesda celebrate the announcement with a new trailer which has shocking implications for our Graham.

Aye, I’m up for that. We’ve not had the chance to play preview versions yet ourselves, but I do dig what I see in gameplay trailers and all. A sci-fi sort of Dishonored with playful environments and magical powers (did I mention you can turn into a cup? also a gun turret, if you want, I suppose) sounds dandy. Sure, I’m sorry I won’t get to poke around the glowing cybercity of the quietly-cancelled Prey 2 but I’ll not sniff at a new Arkane game.

What about our Graham? I’m sure you know he was ecstatic to finally have a video game protagonist who looks like him. Sadly, it seems that the initial pre-rendered trailer distorted Virtuagraham (or Morgan, as Arkane call him). In-game, as seen here, Morgan is far more stylised, looking like he should be sucking on a ciggie in a Parisian alley.

RIP Virtuagraham. Please, respect his memory by playing as the female Morgan.

Lars Westergren says:

Arkane is one of my favorite studios these days, and what sounds very much like a spiritual successor to System Shock 2 is just…yeah, Christmas. I mean the trailers make it look very much like “just a shooter”, but AAA trailers always do that.

With this and games like Underworld Ascendant and System Shock 3 on the way, it feels like Irrational and Looking Glass lives again. (No pressure, people!)

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

With you 100% there. Reminds me of Bioshock 2, from the trailer, a more action-packed version of SS2 and the like. Am hoping it slows down for some tense scares too. I love the alien design. (Why the hell did it need the Prey license though!?)

• k.t says:

Because Bethesda Softworks didn’t want to pay for the System Shock license. After their attempt to fucquire Human Head failed, Bethesda had a name with no game that could be given to the game with no name.

Arkane wasn’t exactly happy either.

2. Kefren says:

It does mildly annoy me that games and films come out with the same name as previous games and films. Suddenly to refer to the one you want you have to add extra description or list the year it came out (which means having to check it once a few years have gone by). I don’t mind if they number games; or add the year as a subtitle; or use some other subtitle. But exactly the same name is a pain.

• ZippyLemon says:

“The first Prey”

“The new Prey”

and context!

Xbox One coming along and camping my long-used terminology for the first Xbox, however… that still stings.

• Jekhar says:

Yeah, MS really doesn’t give a shit about classic games lovers. Searching for old Xbox stuff has become a real pain thanks to that naming scheme. Looking for PS1/PS2 stuff is way easier.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Sony are going to have a problem in 40 years when the tenth PlayStation comes out and they want to name it the PlayStation X.

3. Scilantius says:

Am I the only one who super wishes this were the cancelled, sci-fi alien bounty-hunter Prey game? I /really/ liked that trailer (link to youtu.be)
    As is, I have very little interest in this one, unfortunately.

• montorsi says:

I’ll take a shipped spiritual successor to System Shock over the fanciful dreams of a studio incapable of delivering such.

• k.t says:

You could have had both if Vlatko Andonov wasn’t such a piece of crap. Human Head was well on the way to delivering a game that exceeded the quality of the demo shown at E3 2011. It was Bethesda Softworks trying to bankrupt them so they’d have no choice but to sell the company for a fraction of its value that prevented it from being delivered.

• woodsey says:

All you see in the demo is a heavily scripted chase sequence where the chasee turns around and waits for you if you get too far behind.

It’s a bloody Assassin’s Creed side-mission that you do once and then never ignore for the rest of the game.

Nauallis says:

Thematically, this appears to be a video-game spinoff of the Michael Crichton novel of the same name.

Not that rampant nanotechnology is exactly a new theme for Science Fiction, but as video games go it hasn’t been explored much. Even games that utilize nanotech as a forefront technology aren’t particularly prevalent – the only big names I can think of being the Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander series, Grey Goo, and the most recent Destiny expansion. Maybe Dead Space, but I don’t remember it being obvious. I’m sure the rest of you can come up with more examples.

Nauallis says:

On the other hand, it appears that the creatures may actually be aliens instead of just nanotech, per a Polygon article.

…And also the game page on Bethesda.net. I thoroughly missed news on this game last year.

5. Faults says:

Every trailer I see for this game diminishes my expectations of it yet further. I really hope Arkane pull a rabbit out of the hat and prove me wrong here.

6. engion3 says:

So this will run like complete garbage like dishonered2. Nice.

• Aitrus says:

It is on CryEngine instead of Dishonored’s Void Engine, so, possibly not?

7. G_Man_007 says:

It looks quite good, but I wanted to be a space cop damnit!!

8. int says:

I’ll take my black gooey foes in Resident Evil games thank you very much. Prey should have garden variety aliens that bleed.

9. keefybabe says:

PREORDER AND GET THESE EXCITING ITEMS THAT CURRENTLY MEAN NOTHING TO YOU THAT MIGHT AS WELL BE CALLED OOBEEGOOBBEE BOXES AND WILL FRANKLY BE USELESS AN HOUR INTO GAMEPLAY!

10. keefybabe says:

In all seriousness it has arkane on the box, so it gets a chance.

11. Crocobutt says:

The one thing that really kills it for me? Amorphous, smokey, gooey enemies. It’s not fun shooting at smoke or a gelatinous thing in a videogame unless it has a really cool effect to it (sound, splattering) which I haven’t had the pleasure to discover yet.
    XCom Bureau early trailers had “The Goo” as the main threat.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The thing I am most looking forward to with this game is having an entire space station to explore. Being able to go on space walks outside the station? SOLD!