Dirt 4 rolling out trucks, buggies, and procedural tracks

Codemasters today announced Dirt 4 [official site], a new entry in their racing series coming this June. Dirt 4 will have rally cars racing across track and field, same as ever, while also bringing back vehicles missing from the series for years: buggies and trucks. The option for procedurally-generated tracks is an interesting addition too. 2015’s Dirt Rally was good stuff — “It’s like slamming your genitals in the door of a washing machine on a cotton cycle,” one of the sad dads off the telly might say * — so Codies expanding their scope sounds grand.

Codemasters say in the announcement that they have “sought to combine the levels of thrill and realism” of Dirt Rally “with the fearless excitement, fun, and adrenaline-fuelled races” of Dirt 2 and 3. Hence megabigvrooms. As for the procedural tracks, they explain:

“Dirt 4 features a game-changing system called Your Stage; an innovative rally route creation tool that allows you to produce an almost-infinite number of unique stages at the press of a button. You choose your location and set the route parameters, then Your Stage does the hard work to create a unique rally stage that you can race, share with your friends, and then challenge them to beat your time. Your Stage allows experienced rally players to create longer, more technical routes, whilst newcomers can create simpler shorter routes as they hone their skills.”

I’d assume that’s on top of regular handcrafted tracks, rather than replacing them.

Dirt 4 is due on Windows in June. For now, here’s an empty announcement trailer:

* Jeremy Clarkson did write about video games for Amstrad User in the 1980s. “It is curious but in 27 years I cannot recall a single incident where I have struck another person,” began a piece about his fondness for fighting games. I wonder if he’s still playing.

From this site

1. ColonelFlanders says:

Oooh now this looms lile a cup of tea that could be mistaken for mine. Is there any word about whether this is going to be arcadey lime D3, or Simmy lime D Rally?

• melerski says:

Well the name Dirt 4 makes it sound like a Dirt 3 sequel, so I’m guessing arcadish.

• Janichsan says:

As explicitly stated in the article:

[Codemasters] “sought to combine the levels of thrill and realism” of Dirt Rally “with the fearless excitement, fun, and adrenaline-fuelled races” of Dirt 2 and 3.

So it’s probably somewhere in between.

• Not_So_Melancholy says:

Going off the site it says “With DiRT 4, we’ve sought to combine the levels of thrill and realism from last year’s DiRT Rally with the fearless excitement, fun, and adrenaline-fuelled races previously seen in its critically acclaimed prequels DiRT 2 and DiRT 3.”

So I’d say either somewhere in the middle or you have the options to have it be either or (arcade or sim)

kfix says:

I’m sorry for your lost k.

2. ButteringSundays says:

“…while also bringing back vehicles missing from the series for years: buggies and trucks.”

Eh? Dirt 3 (the last in the series) had Baja.

• The First Door says:

Which, to be fair, was almost 6 years ago now! Ugh, I feel old all over again.

• fray_bentos says:

Bleeding ‘ell, 2011, seems like only yesterday that I played Dirt 2 for the first time!

3. Faldrath says:

Does anyone know if there’s more content planned for Dirt Rally, by the way?

Grizzly says:

From what I understood: No. They’re putting all effort into Dirt 4.

4. zarthrag says:

I hope codemasters noted my promise. No vive support = no money. (I mean, they support PSVR&Oculus already, FFS.)

5. vahnn says:

Sounds good.

6. tslog says:

Glad their going back to Dirt series because I couldn’t stand dirt rally. I bought every single Diry game, but I rented Rally and would never pay for a game like that.

Instead of the thrill, excitement and pace that the dirt series of always promoted, Rally made you race more cautiously and severely punished any mistakes – Yawn.

Racing for me is about excitement and adrenaline, not about careful tension.

• Augh_lord says:

I said to myself: Ok, it’s hard but I should become good enough trying, when I realized it punished in all forms possible:
      – Restarts are limited and take you points.
      – Crashing and repairs are very punitive.
      Went to the tutorials and were mostly just videos that weren’t explaining anything new. I wish I didn’t had to resort to youtube videos to understand how to play or what the copilot meant with all that gibberish.

• Person of Interest says:

I think Dirt Rally has great handling with just enough forgiveness in the controls, but yeah, I’m not always happy when the game tells me my car is totaled because I hit some black ice at the 9-minute mark. Dirt 3 doesn’t have those frustrating moments, but it does have: pitifully short courses; agonizing voiceovers; arbitrary gymkhana requirements; mazes of menus to navigate; and meaningless unlocks.

I hope “fearless excitement” means they’re adding more forgiving play modes, without removing the detailed handing, treacherous courses, and endurance modes that make Dirt Rally so wonderfully tense.

• Ninjapiratehobo says:

The tension in rally made it exciting. The more you played the faster you would become. Laying it all on the line to gain a few more seconds was enough to give me a mini heart attack with my wheel.

phuzz says:

Clarkson&Co did a Forza Horizon thing recently and he said he likes playing manshoots, which isn’t that surprising I suppose. James May likes obscure war games, which is also not surprising.

8. Gomer_Pyle says:

I’ve never seen a game that was rated PEGI 3. Is that the same as ESRB’s E rating? Or is it lower than that?

9. David Mitchell says:

Just had to say thank you for the Jeremy “Sad Dad” Clarkson comment, haha! You’re brilliant, Alice. Oh and those Amstrad User scans, wow. Very interesting. Funny how he went on in that article to say how the “jumped up upstarts in Iran need a few well chosen missiles”. Maybe he was talking about Iran choosing missiles to buy from a US/UK military shopping list? Srange. Then again, not really that strange if his boss at the time was Alan “Amstrad” Sugar!