Have You Played… Mega Lo Mania?

When I first laid eyes or hands on Populous, the famous god game, I had one thought: “Oh, it’s like Mega Lo Mania but boring.” Sensible Software’s strategy-god game, with its angry, competing tribes, seemed much more exciting to my young mind.

To my now adult mind, too. Instead of raising and lowering terrain, Mega Lo Mania has you assigning your population to different disciplines: research, attack, defence, breeding and mining. More people assigned to one area causes progress in that area to speed up, which is important because i) your civilization advances through the ages, just like in Civilization and ii) there are other rival factions out there, and it’d be a shame if they turned up to your castle with better weapons than you had.

Like all the Amiga games I played, I was never great at MLM. I’m not sure I ever understood the above described systems when I played. I knew enough to develop my people and my castle a bit however, so that I could place them in the parapets and have them rain arrows on opportunistic enemies below. I found this extremely satisfying – and it was probably the first real-time strategy game I ever made any headway with.

From this site

1. Eraysor says:

Had this on the Mega Drive as a kid and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. It looked very cool though!

• Tiax says:

So did I. I understood how the game played (broadly), but holy hell was I bad. I still remember the 2×2 green squared map as being impossible to win for my young self.

Still wasted quite a lot of time on this game.

2. Gothnak says:

Some of the best dialogue in a game ever if i remember correctly.

No i don’t think so…
    Production run completed.
    The mine’s been destroyed…..

And my favourite:

Ergonomically terrific!

• Da5e says:

We’ve NYUUKED theeem!

• gburchell says:

Your comment just beat me to it! lol, forgot about the brilliantly over-acted THE MINE’S DESTROYED! XD

• gou says:

whenever my mum was in tge same room as me playing this and the “you’re running out of elements” line played she’d repeat it substituting “elephants” instead. Still says it on random occasions to this day.

• slerbal says:

“Ergonomically tewwific!” :D

• Fondue3 says:

We’re running out of elements!

• kentonio says:

I spent years thinking they were saying ‘We’re running out of elephants!’

• Neurotic says:

“The design is ready!”

• Romeric says:

“We’ve advaaanced a tech level.”

Had this as a child on the Mega Drive. I completed it, too. Very fond memories. As someone else put it, the Nukes stage was very much luck based. I remember one round where one of the opponents were continuously firing nukes at me, but I had the nuke defense technology. Just as one was built, a nuke came in, destroying my defense in the process. This continued for some time. Sadly, I can’t remember the outcome of that particular battle. I ALWAYS played as the green team – I want to say Caesar?

Awesome game. Right up there with Landstalker: Treasures of King Nole, also on Mega Drive.

• ItalianPodge says:

“Do you want to come on my team?”

3. gburchell says:

I loved the VO in this game:

“WILL YOU JOIN ME” (from the awesome red faction)

“No I don’t think so…” (from the annoying yellow faction)

4. Lobotomist says:

Clash Royal

5. slerbal says:

Such a fun game. I spent many a joyful hour playing this and even more quoting and imitating the insane accents from it :)

Andy_Panthro says:

I absolutely loved Mega-Lo-Mania. The nukes stage was incredibly difficult though, sometimes it felt very random if you’d manage to nuke your opponents before they got you (very MAD appropriate I suppose!).

7. Redcoat-Mic says:

Never played this but reminds me of the excellent game, Baldies.

Spent a long hour failing on that, I miss those kind of god games.

8. Rituro says:

Knew it as Tyrants for the Sega Genesis. Loved it. Then I got to the final mission and EFF THAT NOISE. Back to Shining Force, Road Rash and Streets of Rage I went.

9. Boronian says:

Wow I loved that game on my SNES but I kind of sucked at it. Never managed to complete the fifth or sixth world. But I loved the concept.

10. trjp says:

You have advanced a tech level…

11. Neurotic says:

I still sometimes say “The design is ready!” to myself with an MLM lisp. :D Brilliant game.

12. Someoldguy says:

Megalomania was pretty awesome. I had the Atari ST version. The only thing that let it down was the anticlimatic futuristic final stage. I did find it got old faster than Populous. For some reason flattening maps to generate cities then making bumps to get them to spit out walkers held my attention longer than advancing up the tech ages. Perhaps because once you had a winning strategy for MLM it was universally successful and always ended in the damp-squib end stage, while Populous fed you at least the illusion that different maps required some variety.

13. Sivart13 says:

I remember playing it either on the Sega Channel and/or on a Genesis emulator, and I tried to use a game genie code or something to make it easier but it would cause the game to inevitably crash at some point.

I just wanted to advance those tech levels.

14. Dirk says:

I remember the weird last level, where all the people you saved from the nukes by putting them in hibernation (and with that effectively taking them out of the game) were fighting each other by shooting laser beams out of their vault suit chests. War never changes.